• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 2023 @ Dunedin 12:35PM Sat 5 Aug

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
McDermott got held up over the line from a turned down 3. :rolleyes:
Yeah, and it's rough with the dropout now. Players need to make sure they don't get held up. Could and (and possibly should) have been a Wallabies win, small margins.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Can anyone offer a meaningful explanation of why the scrum went to pieces after 10 or 15 minutes in the second half? About the time McReight went off, but I refuse to accept his replacement being the reason. Must have been something else, and earlier than Nongorr coming on too. Pone finished off the ground and in the air on his last couple of scrums before being replaced.
Fatigue. They are fitter than us

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Can anyone offer a meaningful explanation of why the scrum went to pieces after 10 or 15 minutes in the second half? About the time McReight went off, but I refuse to accept his replacement being the reason. Must have been something else, and earlier than Nongorr coming on too. Pone finished off the ground and in the air on his last couple of scrums before being replaced.
Didn't the AB's bring on some of their bench front row around then?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Not related to the scrum but taking McReight off had a noticeable detrimental effect at the breakdown.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The pathway for Aus to win games is just too narrow. Basically have to be up two scores at half time and hope the bench hangs on because they're consistently less fit than the opposition. 10 mins either side of half time is regularly a disaster.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Which I find unfathomable at this level. They are professional athletes who's jobs are to prepare for these kind of games. That includes being at peak physical condition.

The AB's started playing a lot faster and as simple as it sounds, just bloody better. Momentum swings, penalties come and then you're working even harder on defense, fatigue and mistakes just naturally come.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Fatigue. They are fitter than us
I think Slipper is part of the problem. His side went backwards in his first scrum. But is there any evidence that Will Skelton is effective at scrum time? He was pushing Pone when the TH side went to pieces. After that, Zane of course leaves a lot to be desired at scrum time but maybe he's not helped either by having Skelton behind him. It was the TH side that failed in the last scrum that gave the ABs the penalty for the win.

The final score nevertheless means nothing to me. The Wallabies were very competitive for 80 minutes. That is a huge improvement. The scrum is the main area of concern leading into the RWC.