• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 at Eden Park 18/10/20

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I thought our starting backrow was great. Hooper topped the tackle count, had two pilfers and worked his bum off as usual, Hanigan created our only try, got a pilfer and was second on the tackle count, and Wilson continued to be our hardest hitter in both defence and attack. If Hanigan is more careful about the penalties, and Wilson curbs the risky offloads, they will be doing everything asked of them. There are plenty of other areas to look for problems in that Wallaby performance.

Dusky W

Allen Oxlade (6)
Was coming to post this - he supermanned himself into a ruck at one stage to retain our ball.

His workrate is so high - I like what he's doing at the moment but I get happy nervous butterflies in my tummy when I think about how good he will be in another few years when he's better conditioned to the international game and playing 80min.

I get nervous butterflies when he shoots up in defence. He pulls off the very occasional good hit but at Super Rugby level (pre covid) and the Internationals so far, he usually is either late and out of the line for the next couple of phases, or leaves a gap that gets exploited (see the lead up to the AB's first try in the second half for one example).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I thought our starting backrow was great. Hooper topped the tackle count, had two pilfers and worked his bum off as usual, Hanigan created our only try, got a pilfer and was second on the tackle count, and Wilson continued to be our hardest hitter in both defence and attack. If Hanigan is more careful about the penalties, and Wilson curbs the risky offloads, they will be doing everything asked of them. There are plenty of other areas to look for problems in that Wallaby performance.
Wilson so young with so much upside and improvement to come with experience - as only first (interupted) pro season.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
His workrate is so high - I like what he's doing at the moment but I get happy nervous butterflies in my tummy when I think about how good he will be in another few years when he's better conditioned to the international game and playing 80min.

Coached as a kid by my favourite Australian 8 (Tim Gavin) and from the way he is going, Wilson could be our GOAT 8.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it is pretty certain that there will be at least a couple of changes for the next test.

Like the first test a couple of those changes potentially won't deserve it after their showing across two tests but it will happen anyway.

Rennie has said that the defence wasn't good enough and that can be addressed at least in part through selections.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The individual backrowers weren't the problem and the other options are no real improvement

The issue, to me, is the lack of real test locks in the pigs and the other options are no better

Koro and White are still the best two in their positions

Koro has no real history of bad hands and any 9 will look crap behind pigs on roller skates

I said before Banks lacks threat against solid defensive lines, he is wonderful on the outside against tiring slugs, but those options against the ABs? Rarely happen

Reactions: dru

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I think probably you keep things similar for the next test, but I'd consider bring Hodge to start at 15 (in Toomuas likely absence you get the benefit of his boot for the first 60 and potentially the benefit of Banks speed against tiring bodies late), Petaia into 13 and probably Simone to 12 if To'omua is not fit (which might necessitate having Lolesio on the bench as 10 cover). Samu to come back on the bench for Wright (because Hooper you always expect to play 80).

It would be nice to be able to get one of our OS locks back (Arnold, Coleman if fit or Skelton even) because it would be nice to have the flexibility to use LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6 to start or finish a game with the expat slotting in alongside Philip.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The individual backrowers weren't the problem and the other options are no real improvement

The issue, to me, is the lack of real test locks in the pigs and the other options are no better

Koro and White are still the best two in their positions

Koro has no real history of bad hands and any 9 will look crap behind pigs on roller skates

I said before Banks lacks threat against solid defensive lines, he is wonderful on the outside against tiring slugs, but those options against the ABs? Rarely happen

I disagree. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Philip are solid. They were far from the worst performers on the weekend. I'm not sure on there missed tackles but they weren't the ones making errors.

By far, I think the biggest issue is speed and accuracy to the breakdown across the park. It's a 1-15 man job where the closest man needs to be accurate and effective but it just isn't happening. I don't think any single player or selection change is going to fix this.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I disagree. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Philip are solid. They were far from the worst performers on the weekend. I'm not sure on there missed tackles but they weren't the ones making errors.

By far, I think the biggest issue is speed and accuracy to the breakdown across the park. It's a 1-15 man job where the closest man needs to be accurate and effective but it just isn't happening. I don't think any single player or selection change is going to fix this.
Speed to the breakdown is why I wish mcreight was taller and suited to 6 as breakdown king in super rugby

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Based on the stats, our ball retention at the breakdown was fine and really no different to the All Blacks. Both teams lost one lineout on their own throw.

Possession stats were similar.

It does seem we really got beaten with a few key plays (mostly poor kicking where we were punished on the return), a few extra dropped balls and mostly poor defence overall.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Moody & PU-J have both been cleared of serious damage, Foster is hopeful both of them plus SamW will be on the plane come Sunday. Rieko still to be assessed & as well as ASav Reece & Laulala have babies due very shortly. Foster also hinted they'll take fewer than 46 players now that the match-load has been reduced, saying there's guys better off playing M10 in case they're needed rather than sitting around in Oz.

Edit: also said some players might get released to play M10 this week & arrive in Sydney after the main group.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Based on the stats, our ball retention at the breakdown was fine and really no different to the All Blacks. Both teams lost one lineout on their own throw.

Possession stats were similar.

It does seem we really got beaten with a few key plays (mostly poor kicking where we were punished on the return), a few extra dropped balls and mostly poor defence overall.

ah yes, kicking a real issue too. But we did this well in game 1. I can't recall White making many box kicks this game. I wonder why? JOC (James O'Connor)'s was the primary kicker and he was terrible. I wonder how much To'omua's kicking helps in this regard because he didn't kick that well in game 1.

On the positive, Lolesio is a great kicker. And Will Harrison an even better one. In general play. Is it too soon to be blooding these guys?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

All the hookers, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Philip (and Hanigan & JOC (James O'Connor)) are place markers waiting for someone of actual quality to step up and own the spots

But I agree the team as a whole was just well below par (or were we close'ish to last week and the ABs stepped it up?) and that none of the other options are any better. We just don't do the dog work accurately enough or react quickly enough

Wilson

David Codey (61)
My worry with Koroibete is the time away from home is really wearing on him, he just never quite looked like he had his head in the game. It's been a hell of a burden for them and he's generally the first player anyone talks about when they're asked about bubble life this year.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
My worry with Koroibete is the time away from home is really wearing on him, he just never quite looked like he had his head in the game. It's been a hell of a burden for them and he's generally the first player anyone talks about when they're asked about bubble life this year.

Didn't think about that. When was the last time he saw his kids or wife?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
All the hookers, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Philip (and Hanigan & JOC (James O'Connor)) are place markers waiting for someone of actual quality to step up and own the spots

But I agree the team as a whole was just well below par (or were we close'ish to last week and the ABs stepped it up?) and that none of the other options are any better. We just don't do the dog work accurately enough or react quickly enough

I think it was the latter. The All Blacks stepped it up. A large part of the missed tackle count can surely be Clarke and BB. Without those two the AB's have less front foot ball and we make more of our tackles. A different looking game straight away, definitely one less try to the All Blacks and it's already looking closer to a draw.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
"We" too often go for the 10% hero play

One of the positives of the game was Hanigan's simple pass to Hooper (in a better position) and then staying on his feet to cleanout so White had clean fast ball

I thought that was kinda shite actually- failed to draw even 1 defender.