• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 at Eden Park 18/10/20

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It’s a new squad and a new coach. The only player who could expect to be dropped(to the bench) is FF (Folau Fainga'a). But I reckon Rennie will give him a shot at redemption, and rightly so.
It should be the same starting 15 with Petaia and Wright coming onto the bench in place of Lolesio and Valentini.
Yeah I know, but he’s going to want to get a look at what he regards his best team to be, which has Petaia and DHP in it.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeah I know, but he’s going to want to get a look at what he regards his best team to be, which has Petaia and DHP in it.
Banks was really solid. It would send the wrong message to dump him or Paisami. DHP or Hodge on the bench? I’ll take Hodge every day. Lolesio didn’t get on last week and most likely will not be needed this week. Petaia takes his place if fit and gets a half. Lolesios time will come soon back in Oz.

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
DHP has been struggling with injury all year, why put him in now with a real shot at knocking them over? My opinion Banks brings far more to the table than DHP . Its great to finally have someone able to step up and accurately kick deep for touch instead of the pop gun kicks we formally had.
New Coach New Era

dru

Tim Horan (67)
More of the same?

We probably all are expecting a rejuvenated All Blacks for Bled’ 2 2020. They have time to revisit Wallaby systems, strengths and weaknesses. And they should either alter selections for something more consistent to Super Ao positions OR to work the cracks that were seen from non-traditional selection.

All in all a revised ABs may be significantly improved over AB #1.

The WBs seems to be steady as she goes. Incremental improvement only. My suspicions are that we may want to look to a change to focus on D. I realise my bias but in Super Au the Reds have shown excellence in gritty D and I’d keep this in mind.

For reasons discussed (a lot) I’d drop Lolesio. But I’m now thinking a 6/2 bench. Bring in an extra Red loosie. I’d also bring in Tate who has shown to be an excellent defender. Yes defense is not really a core duty of a half - but it is of a sweeper.

The AB strike back might prove a nuisance, especially if possession is more even. Rennie wants kicking in the game but perhaps we might want them over the sideline. So the line out, as usual needs work. I’d stick with my initial impression and rotate the front row.

Petia/Paisami is a coach call. 6/2 gives you just one, pick him from training and on fitness advice noting that Paisami deserves his shot.

Otherwise steady as she goes:

1-2-3/16-17-18 swap
4, 5 and 19 hold
6-7-8 hold, including Samu. 20 hold add 21 Wright
9-10-12 hold 22 Tate
13 training call
11-14 hold
15, 23 Hold (I would swap them)

Get that line out working, boys!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
First test with new combinations and new coach - I would be hesitant to make changes, although I wouldn't be upset to see FF (Folau Fainga'a) and Uelese swapped after that performance.

If Petaia is fit it would be very tempting to throw him into the starting side at the expense of Paisami, although that wouldn't be fair on him.

I'd definitely keep the same bench, but bring some players on sooner and hopefully Lolesio can get some game time, bring some spark into that 10/12 channel.

If we see a repeat of the issues from last week (poor lineout and breakdown retention, lateral backline attack) then I would expect a number of changes for the following game.........

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I think we can't sit on our hands regarding the AB's on ball. They'll come even harder at us now that they know it's an area of weakness. I personally feel that just making it an area of focus won't resolve the issues. I think at minimum both Robs slide off the bench. I think we have to either go with a 6/2 split to help deal with the on ballers, or we start Wright.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I think we can't sit on our hands regarding the AB's on ball. They'll come even harder at us now that they know it's an area of weakness. I personally feel that just making it an area of focus won't resolve the issues. I think at minimum both Robs slide off the bench. I think we have to either go with a 6/2 split to help deal with the on ballers, or we start Wright.

I agree but not sure that the bench is the fix we're looking for, seeing as Cane was at his most damaging in the first half.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm just curious to see if they'll give Akira a go. Frizell didn't fire despite having ample time defending. So if they want pure P H Y S I C A L I T Y (albeit at the cost of occasionally starting a pointless scuffle) then roll him out at blindside, with Sotutu at #8, and Cane will be well supported in head-on defence. Both should also provide go-forward, while Sotutu is also a regular lineout target at the Blues.

That would see Savea on the bench, which I'm not opposed to given his explosive power. But I believe they'll retain Savea. Instead, the more likely swap is Sotutu for Frizell, with Savea on the flank, with the bench spot going to one of Frizell, Papali'i or Akira, in that order of likelihood.

EDIT: Might also consider Aumua on the bench for extra punch.

For the back three, I'm making the courageous call that there will be a Barrett at fullback. Exactly which one depends on availability and if Mo'unga is retained; I believe he should be, but isn't guaranteed IMO. I do believe McNuggets will start somewhere in the back three, so that leaves four potential configurations for mine.

10. Mo'unga | 15. B.Barrett | 11. Clarke | 14. J.Barrett | 23. Bridge/Jordan/Ioane
10. Mo'unga | 15. J.Barrett | 11. Clarke | 14. Bridge | 23. Jordan/Ioane
10. B.Barrett | 15. J.Barrett | 11. Clarke | 14. Bridge | 23. Jordan/Ioane

If he is to be retained on the wing, then McNuggets needs to be used exactly as Kahui was in 2011. That is, as an offensive tackling battering ram; throw up a high kick, ideally at the opposition playmaker in the back field, and send him after it to flatten the receiver.

Though I guess there could also be the left-field option of starting McNuggets in the midfield. Speaking of, I'd absolutely drop Ioane for A) that howler; and B) some still iffy defence. Let him battle it out for the outside back bench spot, and bring ALB into the midfield. Just waiting for the human cannon ball to be available again...

Pretty much just an elaborate copy/paste of the third post in this thread, but there we go.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Having an extra lose forward on the bench (and being able to move LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to 8 again) would hopefully help make up for the extra energy expenditure keeping the AB's off the ball would require. But I do think starting Wright is the solution - he gives a similar type of player to Samu but a much more robust presence around the breakdown (both ways). But maybe you bring McReight into the side, he's a hell of a breakdown pest -- better than Pocock at the same age.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Rubbish. Since when are players exempt from ridicule criticism or jokes because they've played x number of mediocre games? Spare me.

Tex, we don’t get “spared” anymore than the players. Some of us think statement around Simmons have been OTT.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree but not sure that the bench is the fix we're looking for, seeing as Cane was at his most damaging in the first half.

This also corresponds to when the Wallabies were more dominant in possession. We had 67% possession in the first half which is why Cane made most of his tackles and forced penalties etc. in the first half.

Having an extra lose forward on the bench (and being able to move LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to 8 again) would hopefully help make up for the extra energy expenditure keeping the AB's off the ball would require. But I do think starting Wright is the solution - he gives a similar type of player to Samu but a much more robust presence around the breakdown (both ways). But maybe you bring McReight into the side, he's a hell of a breakdown pest -- better than Pocock at the same age.

I'm still not sure why you're expecting greater pilfering ability to help with retaining our own ball. The issue was very clearly our cleanouts both in terms of accuracy (missed cleanouts, going off feet) and workrate (not getting their soon enough and leaving the ball carrier isolated).

Maybe workrate within different groups of forwards was an issue?

According to ESPNscrum we made 118 total tackles to the All Blacks 188 so the Wallabies player making 62% of their opponent's tackles could be considered parity.

Wilson made 2 tackles vs Savea 7.

Our starting props made 5 tackles vs the All Blacks starting props making 28.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hopefully Rennie makes him cut larger holes in his headgear so he can hear the referee.

It was a stupid penalty. He was doing a reasonable job of disrupting the maul but he then made a clear infraction by changing his bind. His right arm had to stay bound where it originally was.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Maybe bring ASY (Angus Scott-Young) onto the bench too?