• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #2 - AUS v NZL, Eden Park, Auckland, August 15th

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Let's face it, we cannot kick now, and it is far too late to get our kickers up to standard for the RWC.

I assume that our coaches understand this and will pick teams, and decide tactics, appropriately.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Let's face it, we cannot kick now, and it is far too late to get our kickers up to standard for the RWC.

I assume that our coaches understand this and will pick teams, and decide tactics, appropriately.

We can kick. All our kickers have the ability to make decent kicks downfield.

Where we are costing ourselves is through aimless decision making and risky kicks (such as dinky chip kicks when we are already down a man).

Clearly we're not going to adopt a game plan based on extensive tactical kicking (mostly contestable kicks) because it's not our strong suit. We have to kick in general play though and we need to do it better than we currently are. It's more decision related than skill related.

You can't tell me that both of To'omua's shocking kicks were because he lacks the requisite skill.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Where we are costing ourselves is through aimless decision making and risky kicks (such as dinky chip kicks when we are already down a man).

Clearly we're not going to adopt a game plan based on extensive tactical kicking (mostly contestable kicks) because it's not our strong suit. We have to kick in general play though and we need to do it better than we currently are. It's more decision related than skill related.

You can't tell me that both of To'omua's shocking kicks were because he lacks the requisite skill.
I'm pretty sure he can.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

Accuracy and distance are both significantly lower from Australian kickers than from those of the other leading test nations. Whenever an Australian back has a pressure kick to make the heart is always in the mouth and great execution of a kick a mater of relief instead of the situation where someone like Carter has a shocker and its a gasp moment that he has done so.

I see it as both decision making and a matter of skill execution and my points previously have been how that is a known factor with our rivals and they will/are target it.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
My old eyes must be deceiving me. We cannot kick, simple as that, from the top to the bottom we just kick poorly.

Frankly, given that our set pieces have been struggling for years and years, the importance of converting all our kicking chances, off the ground, and out of hand, would seem to be pretty obvious.

Apparently not, we are just bloody lazy, or stupid, or talentless.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Cooper is probably the best kicker we have in the wallaby set-up. (Mogg the best in Aus - but no way we want him near a wallaby jersey). His chip kick early on was a good tactic and kept the defence guessing.

I watch all the Brumbies games and I don't rate To'omua as a kicker. Decent clearance kick and has put in some real nice grubbers behind the man but other then that pretty average.

I don't think any player in Aus can put up an accurate bomb?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Accuracy and distance are both significantly lower from Australian kickers than from those of the other leading test nations.

My old eyes must be deceiving me. We cannot kick, simple as that, from the top to the bottom we just kick poorly.

Look at our worst kicks from the game though and they weren't kicks where we were going for distance nor were they under pressure.

They were pure and simply poor decisions which put us under immense pressure and yielded tries to the All Blacks.

I completely accept your oft-mentioned point about our kicking skills being substandard but there is no point using it as a catch all as to why we're giving up tries in specific situations.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I agree that many of the kicks put up by the Wallabies are simply not contestable, but over a number of recent matches I have seen some that are just about spot on for height and distance but wgere the chaser(s) slow down to effect an immediate tackle rather than contesting for possession in the air. I'd like to know if that is part of the game plan with the intention of winning territory rather than possession.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
[tinfoil]

Question: does Eden Park usually have cameras from only one side of the field so that we had absolutely no farking idea what happened in those scrums?

[/tinfoil]

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Also the speed they can get spider cam from in close to right out of the way is much faster than a drone I would suspect.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
These drones and spider cams are bloody annoying at both the cricket and the rugby. And I must say when the telecast switches from a side-on view to an overhead one it looks weird, and confusing. But, if a few overhead shots of our scrum convince NH refs of the integrity of our scrummaging they'll be well worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.