• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 - Wallabies vs All Blacks, Wellington, 27 August 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
That was from espnscrum.com.

My thought was that the backrow didn't work well, Pocock was our best forward, Hooper had the most tackles and run metres amongst our forwards and could end up being captain this week.

McCalman was very quiet.

I don't really see the point of having McCalman keep his spot and move Hooper to the bench.

And that's fair enough. I think where I'm coming from is that we need to get the basics right first rather than trying to outsmart everyone, which means playing our best 7 at 7, our best 8 at 8, etc. But there certainly is a case to say that Pocock is currently our best 8 even if it's not his traditional position. I also thought that the Pooper had been found out and effectively countered now by everyone. But that doesn't mean it's not our best combination I guess, just not as big a point of difference as it was the first couple of times.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah, it certainly isn't having a big impact like it did in its first couple of outings, but Pocock and Hooper are still pretty close to our two most impactful forwards each and every game.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
And that's fair enough. I think where I'm coming from is that we need to get the basics right first rather than trying to outsmart everyone, which means playing our best 7 at 7, our best 8 at 8, etc. But there certainly is a case to say that Pocock is currently our best 8 even if it's not his traditional position. I also thought that the Pooper had been found out and effectively countered now by everyone. But that doesn't mean it's not our best combination I guess, just not as big a point of difference as it was the first couple of times.
Pocock would not make no 8 in any of the top 3 ranked sides in world rugby.
He would make 7 in most of them.
Just because he is our best 7 doesn't make him our best 8.
There is a reason why each position has its key roles.
Time to stop f@#king around with them.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)

Ironically what you are saying is essentially what my way of thinking was and why I have been saying it's time to shelve the playing of two 7s. But the flaw in your argument is that we don't have an alternative #8 that would make it in to the top 3 teams either. So the question is whether an out of position Pocock is better at 8 than all of the other available alternatives, at least for this weekend.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Ironically what you are saying is essentially what my way of thinking was and why I have been saying it's time to shelve the playing of two 7s. But the flaw in your argument is that we don't have an alternative #8 that would make it in to the top 3 teams either. So the question is whether an out of position Pocock is better at 8 than all of the other available alternatives, at least for this weekend.

I did realise we were half on the same page but just drew a different conclusion.
I don't think an out of position pocock is better than what we have - it just leaves us too exposed elsewhere. He should be at 7 for mine.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
He would make 7 in most all of them.

Fixed.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

True.

But who is your mythical 8 that is better? Not McCalman on any evidence so far.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Trouble with Poey playing 8 is that he tries to play like a seven but he's behind the 8 ball.

I think Hooper actually relies on that and then is deficient in playing his position as it should be (to Poey's level)

I would prefer to see one of the World's best 7's (if not the best) playing in position and we pick the BEST 8 available. It may be Hooper, it may not be.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Trouble with Poey playing 8 is that he tries to play like a seven but he's behind the 8 ball.

I think Hooper actually relies on that and then is deficient in playing his position as it should be (to Poey's level)

I would prefer to see one of the World's best 7's (if not the best) playing in position and we pick the BEST 8 available. It may be Hooper, it may not be.

05d.jpg

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Chieka has struggled to find a forward like Jacpot that was critical to his successful game plan in 2014. We seem to still be playing to that formula without the cattle, and its not like teams haven't worked out how to counter that gameplan even when we're on song.

Given that the fowards by and large did their best impression of marshmallows on the weekend, Moore needs to be held accountable for another poor outing as captain and player. Where was the inspirational play to lift the team? I said it on the weekend that it looked like he lost his cool early and this was contagious. He, Macalman and Simmons should be dropped for this week.

Tactics this week - run hard, run straight, tackle hard, don't drop the ball, look to put some hurt on the AB's. Anyone unable to execute this gameplan to be dropped for remainder of 2016.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Time to go a bit left field, and fight Ioane with Ioane

1. Slipper
2. TPN
3. Kepu
4. Douglas
5. Mumm
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Pocock (C)
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. DHP
12. Kerevi
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Ioane
15. Folau

16. Moore
17. Sio
18. Alaatoa
19. Coleman
20. Timani
21. Phipps
22. Foley
23. Hodge

T

TOCC

Chieka has struggled to find a forward like Jacpot that was critical to his successful game plan in 2014. We seem to still be playing to that formula without the cattle, and its not like teams haven't worked out how to counter that gameplan even when we're on song

Part of this has to fall at the ARU's feet, I like the foreign marquee player contract for Super Rugby.. But it has to be done in a smart and regulated manner; Thompson, Tui, Potgeiter, Delve and another from the Force whose name escapes me have all been playing blindside flankers for Australian teams in recent years. It's hindered development for players in that blindside/number 8 position and negatively impacted on the Wallaby depth and options for that role.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Chieka has struggled to find a forward like Jacpot that was critical to his successful game plan in 2014. We seem to still be playing to that formula without the cattle, and its not like teams haven't worked out how to counter that gameplan even when we're on song.

Given that the fowards by and large did their best impression of marshmallows on the weekend, Moore needs to be held accountable for another poor outing as captain and player. Where was the inspirational play to lift the team? I said it on the weekend that it looked like he lost his cool early and this was contagious. He, Macalman and Simmons should be dropped for this week.

Tactics this week - run hard, run straight, tackle hard, don't drop the ball, look to put some hurt on the AB's. Anyone unable to execute this gameplan to be dropped for remainder of 2016.

The only explanation for Moore being captain is that his mum has a minivan and can put all the team kit in it or something.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Part of this has to fall at the ARU's feet, I like the foreign marquee player contract for Super Rugby.. But it has to be done in a smart and regulated manner; Thompson, Tui, Potgeiter, Delve and another from the Force whose name escapes me have all been playing blindside flankers for Australian teams in recent years. It's hindered development for players in that blindside/number 8 position and negatively impacted on the Wallaby depth and options for that role.

Likewise we also have an issue at halfback part of which can be blamed on exactly the same situation.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I the only explanation for Moore being captain is that his mum has a minivan and can put all the team kit in it or something.

He seemed to be doing a perfectly good job previously.

The issue is as much a lack of other options.

Hooper was a pretty obvious choice at age 22 when Moore got injured against France a couple of years ago. That says a huge amount about the leadership options.

Pocock has had a pretty mixed history as captain and there isn't a lot to suggest he'd be a substantially better option now but it certainly looks like it is worth giving him another crack.

Upthenuts

Dave Cowper (27)

So play like the springbok? I like it you wont win but at least it will show who cares about the loss. i might even swear at the tv that youre a pack of cheats and the ref sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.