• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #4 New Zealand vs Australia Nov 7 2020

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
His 33 minutes involved some of the most aggressive and impactful Wallaby efforts we've seen almost all series. Every carry, every lineout take, and every tackle he made were simple, accurate, and effective.

I mean, people can say Swinton brought such aggression to the team, but we played longer without his aggression than we did with it. We scored double the points without Swinton than we did with him on the pitch.

Look, I agree, he looks promising and his combativeness is something we've lacked at 6 since Elsom at his peak in like 06 - 08.

I'm just sick of hearing about blokes "who would be great if they did/did not do XYZ". There's plenty outside of International Rugby that Swinton can demonstrate he has perfected the balance. W

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Cudos to Rennie for identifying Swinton as test quality. I never saw anything (except a couple of big hits) to suggest he would step up or warranted selection (particularly over Samu). But im a mong.

I hope he now knows and settles a little more on his favoured team for next year. I think these younger blokes need some consistency.

Ill be sure not to watch the Argie tests live to ensure we win those too.

Edit: with JOC (James O'Connor) back do we shift Hodge to 12 or 15 or back to the bench?
You suggesting Rennie may know more then us keyboard warriors / experts? Surely not...

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I mean, people can say Swinton brought such aggression to the team, but we played longer without his aggression than we did with it. We scored double the points without Swinton than we did with him on the pitch.

Look, I agree, he looks promising and his combativeness is something we've lacked at 6 since Elsom at his peak in like 06 - 08.

I'm just sick of hearing about blokes "who would be great if they did/did not do XYZ". There's plenty outside of International Rugby that Swinton can demonstrate he has perfected the balance. W

30mins against the AB's is probably the best indicator you can have. I don't think anyone is saying he has cemented his spot - but her certainly earned another look in.

I don't see your point about the team being aggressive without him? Sure we don't NEED his aggression to win, we also don't NEED Hoopers workrate, or White's accurate passes.... but it sure as hell helps.

I am very optimistic and excited by Swinton. I think the penalty magnet issue can be fixed very easily.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I thought Swinton looked the goods before being sent off. He brings to type of starch I want to see in a test 6. Could form a good combination with Hooper and Wilson. I thought Hooper had a great game (even by his standard).

Still not sold on Hanigan at test level. If Samu is fit he should be on the bench in his place.

Lots of young raw talent which is nice to see. there's still a lot of work to do on breakdown and general play defence for us to genuinely be considered a top 3 side. Looking at the 4 bledisloes it is clear to me that New Zealand is the better side atm, but what iv seen from the talent coming through and the coach, no reason we couldnt change that over the next 3 years.

Australian Rugby definitely needed a win. we just need to back it up now - consistency continues to be a problem for us.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
The biggest area of concern for me is lock. I actually thought Simo played well, but I'd really like to have seen us blooding a genuine second rower on the bench.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The biggest area of concern for me is lock. I actually thought Simo played well, but I'd really like to have seen us blooding a genuine second rower on the bench.

If Rodda comes back it will help strengthen the position. As well as overseas options in Arnold and Coleman.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Swinton will have to temper his aggression but very happy to have a hit man at 6, good call from TSR pre Bledisloe 1 re his potential. Also worth noting re the cards that while you want to avoid them it’s not a rarity to have someone at test level who has the propensity to be sin binned. Scott Barrett and Owen Farrell have issues in those departments but don’t have their selection questioned.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
What an impressive turnaround by the Wallabies after Bled3. Recent history might suggest that they'll now revert to their poorer form for a couple of tests before coming good with an eyecatcher again when least expected. I will be looking for Rennie to break that sequence, especially with the next two tests against Argentina, who won't be a pushover based on the form yesterday.

The good from last night. The backrow effort was top class. Swinton exceeded all expectations, except the one about inviting a card. For the record, if he can string together consistent games at the level he showed until the card, and learn to dish out the punishment legally, then he is in prime position to add the physicality to our backrow that I have lamented as missing for a long while. With that physicality also comes the balance in the backrow that has been missing since Fardy was ignored by Cheika (some time before his departure overseas as I recall). That also supports a player like Hooper (and in time McReight) in the 7 spot. My other criticism of the backrow performance this series has been the lack of impact by Wilson when carrying the ball. I think that's where we could better use Naisarani at No 8, with Wilson on the bench covering 6/8.

Hodge and Paisami were unexpectedly impressive in 10 and 12. Most posters seemed to think the Hodge selection meant we would play 10 man rugby, but the reality was far from that. Paisami missed some tackles (others have mentioned 4) but overall simply outplayed Laumape. Tom Wright was another who did enough to suggest he should be a starter in place of Daugunu, who did well off the bench. Tom Banks put in the best No 15 performance of the series, but I'd really like to see Maddocks also given a shot.

Matt Philip was again my pick as MOTM. His steal at the 5m lineout right on halftime was just magic. He otherwise was in everything, main lineout jumper, hitting rucks, making tackles and carrying the ball in tight. Not a step out of place the whole game.

Minimal changes needed now to get ready for the Argies. Extremely bad luck for James Slipper, so expect either HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) to start at LHP or Sio with Bell on the bench. Hooker and THP both look to be settled to me.

With Swinton playing at 6, we can bring Hosea in to partner Philip at lock.

Backrow I've dealt with.

Halves should probably remain unchanged in the starting lineup and on the bench, ditto centres, wingers and fullback. Bring Maddocks on to the bench and give him good game time to see how he goes. That would mean JOC (James O'Connor) misses out, but so be it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
We scored double the points without Swinton than we did with him on the pitch.

Meaningless stat unless Swinton is the only variable in scoring points.

Scott Barrett caught being a complete toolhead at the bottom of the ruck was a bigger factor.

"Harry Wilson would be far better if he took the stupid flick passing out of his game. Has cost us possession in crucial areas 4 times in attacking areas in 3 games we did NOT win. Maybe he should think about that before he's allowed back in the Wallaby Gold."

Is that more or less meaningful than your point about Swinton?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
What an impressive turnaround by the Wallabies after Bled3. Recent history might suggest that they'll now revert to their poorer form for a couple of tests before coming good with an eyecatcher again when least expected. I will be looking for Rennie to break that sequence, especially with the next two tests against Argentina, who won't be a pushover based on the form yesterday.

The good from last night. The backrow effort was top class. Swinton exceeded all expectations, except the one about inviting a card. For the record, if he can string together consistent games at the level he showed until the card, and learn to dish out the punishment legally, then he is in prime position to add the physicality to our backrow that I have lamented as missing for a long while. With that physicality also comes the balance in the backrow that has been missing since Fardy was ignored by Cheika (some time before his departure overseas as I recall). That also supports a player like Hooper (and in time McReight) in the 7 spot. My other criticism of the backrow performance this series has been the lack of impact by Wilson when carrying the ball. I think that's where we could better use Naisarani at No 8, with Wilson on the bench covering 6/8.

Hodge and Paisami were unexpectedly impressive in 10 and 12. Most posters seemed to think the Hodge selection meant we would play 10 man rugby, but the reality was far from that. Paisami missed some tackles (others have mentioned 4) but overall simply outplayed Laumape. Tom Wright was another who did enough to suggest he should be a starter in place of Daugunu, who did well off the bench. Tom Banks put in the best No 15 performance of the series, but I'd really like to see Maddocks also given a shot.

Matt Philip was again my pick as MOTM. His steal at the 5m lineout right on halftime was just magic. He otherwise was in everything, main lineout jumper, hitting rucks, making tackles and carrying the ball in tight. Not a step out of place the whole game.

Minimal changes needed now to get ready for the Argies. Extremely bad luck for James Slipper, so expect either HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) to start at LHP or Sio with Bell on the bench. Hooker and THP both look to be settled to me.

With Swinton playing at 6, we can bring Hosea in to partner Philip at lock.

Backrow I've dealt with.

Halves should probably remain unchanged in the starting lineup and on the bench, ditto centres, wingers and fullback. Bring Maddocks on to the bench and give him good game time to see how he goes. That would mean JOC (James O'Connor) misses out, but so be it.
Red card means misses a match

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Don't both red cards face the judiciary with a prospect of a three match holiday? (WR (World Rugby) protocols suggest 6 weeks reduced to 3 for good record). I thought red cards meant a mandatory citing.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
'take a break' they say, 'you're bitter and negative'.

'yeah maybe they are right, maybe i should....' he thinks.

fuck sake.
I’m genuinely sorry. :(

Maybe you should just try getting really drunk instead??? :)

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
One part of his game he could improve is tucking in his shirt. Potentially would have got 1 or 2 additional tries if it were tucked in today.
The jerseys have already evolved a fair bit from the old full sleeve cotton jerseys that the props used to cut the sleeves off.

Maybe Koroibete should go with a mid riff

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
One of these?

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    17.1 KB · Views: 126

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Gees all of us impressed by hodge and eating humble pie but for a player who has not played all season at 10 to play at test level that sort of game is really impressive and shows what a talented footballer he is.

It’s hard to imagine Hodge outside the 23 other than injury. He is a lock in the 23 for me and it is about time we understood his flexibility to be a serious tool.