• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Blues v Reds

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Any changes? Gilly possibly due back, but at best he'll start from the bench I'd suspect. Don't think Beau deserves to be dropped. If Gill is on the bench I'd like to think Browning will be in the starting team, because I wouldn't want him dropped either.

Genia possibly out. So does Frisby or Lucas start at 9?

I'd be more inclined to have Lucas there with Frisby on the bench. Harris possibly at fullback with Taps and CFS in the centres.

Not sure what our other fit wing options are, but happy to have Placid back over there if need be.

Hanson and Holmes you'd suggest will start again.

Other than that, can't see much more we can do.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Braid is probably out for the Blues. His back up isn't much chop. The Blues still look very disjointed.

That said, I think Eden Park plus their good backs will get them home against a very average Reds outfit.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Slipper
Hanson
Holmes
Simmons
Horwill
Browning
Robinson
Shatz
Frisby
Cooper
Taulagi
Harris
Tapuai
CFS
Lucas

Fainga'a, Anae, Owen, McDuling, Quirk, Gill, Fainga'a, Davies

Still think the best centre pair is Taps/CFS and will be calling for it when the wing stocks aren't looking so thin. Ed was garbage last week and McDuling must be trialled.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Yep I'd love to see Taps/CFS in the centers. Thought they both had good games last weekend

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
I think Harris is massively unsung at #12. He straightens our line remarkably, tempting defenders to leave holes outside, and always makes a good couple of metres in contact. He's been one of our few real assets this season in my mind. He has to stay there.

Rumour has it hes going to 15. I like him at 12 as well. Fills that second playmaker and "conservative player outside quade" role very well.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Slipper (has to be)
Saia
Holmes (has to be)
Horwill
Simmo
Quirk
Robinson but Gill if he is ready to go
Shatz
Genia (probably should be Frisby but????)
Cooper
Taps and Ant
Rocket/Harris/CFS (JJ has been pretty average out wide and Lucas not that good last week)

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
1-Slipper
2- Hanson
3- Holmes/Owen
4- Simmons
5- Horwill
6- Quirk
7- Robinson/Gill
8- Browning
9- Frisby
10- Cooper
11- Feauia-Sautia
12- A.Fainga'a
13- Tapuai
14- Who bloody knows
15- Harris

Bench: S.Fainga'a, Anae, Owen, McDuling, Shatz, Gill/Robinson, Lucas, Davies/Taulagi

Really not keen to see Davies or Taulagi start on the wing, but I guess we don't have a choice.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm expecting the Reds to win this match.

There will surely be a point when the better core of the team just super-exerts in anger and despair to prove that the best of the 'once were champions' Reds are not dead, and that good place combines with a bit of extra luck, the crucial last pass sticks, the opposition isn't quite as good as last week, and, in aggregate of all these things, at last a win is secured.

This became the complex Wallaby cycle under Deans 2009-13. Mediocrity and serious disappointment arising from very ordinary rugby, then followed by a surprising and quite skilful win 'out of nowhere'.

But as the depth of coaching skill and the really well-designed structures and programmed attack and finely honed player techniques were all fundamentally missing or amiss, the Deans' Wallabies could never truly consolidate these types of wins and they soon lurched back into random outcomes and very uninspiring play rooted in a repetitively high error rate just when it mattered. Deans would typically call this '.......we just made crucial mistakes....' and subtly or otherwise blame his players.

I see the RG-coached 2014 Reds heading into - or being already in - a very similar pattern of lurching losses and wins, with of course and sadly more of the former than the latter.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I agree with your reasoning RH but struggle to see a victory this weekend. The Blues continue to be the French of the super rugby comp. not knowing even themselves until the ball is kicked off if they are there to play. Even if the reds revive enough to get it together in attack there remain those massive holes in defence and that could be a far worse result for them if the switched on Blues show up.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Blues team

1. Tony Woodcock
2. Keven Mealamu
3. Charlie Faumuina
4. Patrick Tuipulotu
5. Tom Donnelly
6. Peter Saili
7. Brendon O'Connor
8. Jerome Kaino
9. Bryn Hall
10. Simon Hickey
11. Lolagi Visinia
12. Ma'a Nonu
13. Francis Saili
14. Frank Halai
15. Charles Piutau

16. James Parsons
17. Ofa Tu'ungafasi
18. Angus Ta'avo
19. Hayden Triggs
20. Steve Luatua
21. Piri Weepu
22. Ihaia West
23. George Moala

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Think the Reds will man-up this week - due to a lot of criticism of players and RG - Genia and Horwill to have a big ones - they are smart enough to understand their Wallaby spots are open to serious serious contenders.

Both should be wearing neck braces (to stop them looking over their shoulders for the young guns acoming)

Reds by 12

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Can't see us winning, negative biggsy again.

Thought Taps had good running game last week. Really got his leg drive on when attacking the defensive line and getting over the gain line. Be nice to see the forwards do that this years instead dropping straight to ground.

Another tough match for a struggling reds team and coach who doesn't have a game plane, except kick the ball back to opposition

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
team named:

1-Slipper
2- S.Fainga'a
3- Holmes
4- Simmons
5- Horwill
6- Quirk
7- Gill
8- Schatz