• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Blues v Tahs, round 11 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Geez you guys it wasn't that fucking bad. It was a frustrating game but the blues got the serious bounce of the ball, and a few early Reffing decisions, and the tahs were still in it late into the game. Kaino played an almost perfect defence on Beale - his comments last week that the tahs had no weakness to target made me seriously concerned. Agree Dennis is not playing to potential, nor captaining very well, but as for going "back to the drawing board" with selections I think that's a bit of emotional overkill.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
The problem for Beale in the 2nd half was that he was catching the ball for the most part while he was static. Also he didn't have runners so he was exposed. Given he's pretty lightweight (now) he becomes an easy target for a loosie like Kaino.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The problem for Beale in the 2nd half was that he was catching the ball for the most part while he was static. Also he didn't have runners so he was exposed. Given he's pretty lightweight (now) he becomes an easy target for a loosie like Kaino.
But you have to ask why.
IMO it is because no body knows what he is doing, he bounces up all over the place. If there was a game plan and structure players can run off a 12 hitting good angles.
With go forward and the line being bent it would enable him to bounce into the opportunities created.

You say he was static, exposed, further to the point I just raised Izzy wasn't hitting gaps tonight either - IMO that is because our 10 / 12 play is not working.

M

Moono75

What about Folau. He gets the headlines in the good times. What did he contribute tonight. Get in the game. Is that what we can expect against the ABs?

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Bloody terrible referring in this game. Blues spent most the game offside and gave away what should of been penalties at almost every scrum.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
But you have to ask why.
IMO it is because no body knows what he is doing, he bounces up all over the place. If there was a game plan and structure players can run off a 12 hitting good angles.
With go forward and the line being bent it would enable him to bounce into the opportunities created.

You say he was static, exposed, further to the point I just raised Izzy wasn't hitting gaps tonight either - IMO that is because our 10 / 12 play is not working.

Also indicative was as I said earlier that even with two playmakers, Phipps was struggling at times for somebody to pass to. People have been critical of Foley, but I feel he is hampered by only getting the static crap ball that Beale doesn't want. When he had some go faorward ball he actaully set a few up and/or took it forward himself. Contrary to the popular myth I don't think I saw Beale break the line in this game, he certainly did his best crabbing and taking the outside space though. Please, whoever does the stats, do not include laterally run metres, Beale would top the comp if that was included.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
What about Folau. He gets the headlines in the good times. What did he contribute tonight. Get in the game. Is that what we can expect against the ABs?
Point I raised in my last post, izzy is great at reading and finishing. He didn't read any opportunities tonight because the front line was messy and crap with limited phase play created.

He did nothing wrong.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Bloody terrible referring in this game. Blues spent most the game offside and gave away what should of been penalties at almost every scrum.

Was talking with a mate during the game and commented after most scrums that had it been a Aus. scrum in a position like the blues they would have been whistled off the park, possibly literally. I counted three times the Blues collapsed and were given 5 seconds or more to dig the ball out of the scrum to clear it. If it was an Oz side ......

Reputation for poor scrumaging is still dogging us it seems to me.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Also indicative was as I said earlier that even with two playmakers, Phipps was struggling at times for somebody to pass to. People have been critical of Foley, but I feel he is hampered by only getting the static crap ball that Beale doesn't want. When he had some go faorward ball he actaully set a few up and/or took it forward himself. Contrary to the popular myth I don't think I saw Beale break the line in this game, he certainly did his best crabbing and taking the outside space though. Please, whoever does the stats, do not include laterally run metres, Beale would top the comp if that was included.

Watching the brumbies straight after, there 10 / 12 is humming, and a perfect example of what I'm communicating.

I was never a foley fan, but last year I could not fault him. Foley / Horne worked well and a praised him in many a game.
Even Foley doesn't know what Beale is doing.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
JacPot was pretty useful

More than useful, but he's been like that every week. I'm talking about the team.

Scrums, lineouts, kick-off reception, backline attack, handling, passing, composure, leadership, tactics.

I'd be getting Potgieter an Aussie passport if I was Link.

T

tranquility

It is perfectly clear that Beale is not a 12, there isn't a position for him in your current backline and there wasn't one when you signed him.

Tonight's swarming defense is the exact precedent of finals rugby, and a 12 that can't make hard meters or smother the opposition in defense is not that handy.

Horne 12, Dennis bench and you are still a pretty good side.

Jacques is a Saint.

Status
Not open for further replies.