• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Blues v Tahs, round 11 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes Douglas surely needs a rest, so does Hooper and TPN but their too important in games like these. Perhaps the Lions game they can get a rest.

It's such a difficult conundrum. You rest three or four key players against the Lions and all of a sudden you're asking for a boilover in that game.

I think you've got to stagger it and Douglas would be the one I'd be benching this week. The return of Palu and Skelton's form allows that with little interruption to the quality in the side.

In an ideal world, you hope the team puts in a terrific performance which will allow the reserves to come on earlier to finish out the game and give our most used players some respite.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Maybe we should trade Beale to another province in exchange for a decent lineout threat and leave Dennis on the bench as cover,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Agree but the Lions is the only 'easy' game left plus it's an arvo game which the Tahs do well in.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
We need to give TPN time off the field. The only way to get that is smash out such a commanding lead that even a few lineout fuckups won't get in the way. No fitness like match fitness.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
We've got some great ball carriers in the pack, I'd like to see us use them properly instead of one of them getting a half a metre over the gainline and Phipps firing the ball out to Beale/Foley and then as wide as possible until an error occurs because we haven't got the defence on the back foot. I don't care how boring it is lets have pick and drives all day long, we'll force the Blues back demoralize them and then pick and drive some more then go wide. I couldn't care if they call us boring all I want is 4 points added to the Tahs total in the ladder by 5:30 on ANZAC day.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
There were flashes of it on the weekend - big crash up by one of the players, then a sweep around that buckled the line JUST before a poor pass.

When we click, we're gonna fucking annihilate someone.

I couldn't care if they call us boring all I want is 4 points added to the Tahs total in the ladder by 5:30 on ANZAC day.

So the calendar isn't lying and its a 3.30PM kickoff Sydney time?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
There were flashes of it on the weekend - big crash up by one of the players, then a sweep around that buckled the line JUST before a poor pass.

When we click, we're gonna fucking annihilate someone.

"If" we get some depth in our support play it will be a start

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
"If" we get some depth in our support play it will be a start

That's the key. Big blokes hitting and bending the line at pace, with trailing runners ready to receive an offload or quick ruck ball. You're right, it's important for those support players not to be too hard up against the gain line or they overrun the pass.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
But on the weekend they overran the pass because it was given too late. I thought we were doing a heap of good things but just seizing up at the wrong moment e.g. Dennis makes a break late after that ball spits out the side of the Bulls' ruck - he runs, has Hooper with him. Waits until he hits contact which is totally the wrong option in broken play.

Foley tried to get the hands through the tackle a couple of times. There were some basketball passes because of outside rush defenders that didn't need to be thrown. It was just a muddle.

Then once Beale went off we resorted to kick-receive-hope-for-broken-field which is a waste against the Saffer teams because kick-chase is what they do.

Just a few little tweaks, and cutting inside lines rather than drifting so much. Committing the defender doesn't always mean crashing into him.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Yes Douglas surely needs a rest, so does Hooper and TPN but their too important in games like these. Perhaps the Lions game they can get a rest.

I'd like to see Douglas getting some reduced minutes by rotating the bench. Latu has been doing well this year and TPN could well play just the first half in a couple of matches. But I think sending Hooper on holiday for the Lions game is essential (tell everyone he's broken a fingernail). In the few minutes he has had this year Cutch has looked very good and while he is no Hooper he would not let us down.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Firstly, I agree with BH that Hoiles really isn't showing up as better than Dennis. My problem with Dennis is not so much play, in fact I thought he went all right against the Bulls, but leadership. Particularly in that Force game, where they scored a couple of 'against the run of play' tries, that is where we really needed some leadership and, imo, it was missing.

What Hooper has shown on the paddock in the opportunities he has had to lead has been far more inspiring, and while I'm sure it won't happen, personally I think Cheika needs to make the brave call Link made last year and change the captain.

Also, like others here, I would really like to see Horne start at 12. And were I don't agree with BH is re Phipps. He does a lot of positive things during a game, but the basic requirement of a 9, scrum half 101, is a good, flat pass that arrives just in front of the man it's intended for, and I'm afraid that just ain't happening. Mckibben is delivering that, and as I said earlier, brings the add-on of a second goal-kicker.

Cheika made the half time comment last week that they needed to be far more direct, and not try to go wide so soon or so often, but it went largely unheeded. My guess is it has been made reasonably clear during the week at training.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Hart AB coach 1996-99, SGH coached the Blues 1996-98 (& technical advisor or something in '03), Wales 1998-2002. I do recall plenty of people wanting GH to replace JH after the disaster that was the AB season of '98 but also that he'd already committed to Wales.

Those were all bloody good rugby teams also. That All Blacks vs Wales game during the 2003 RWC was one of the best games I have ever seen. It was like Wales pulled that performance from nowhere.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
This is a banana skin game for the Tahs. The Blues are not going great but jeez they are capable of turning it around.

Regarding Benji, he looks to have no self confidence to bight the bullet and just give it a crack. He was like the deer in the headlights last week when he had the chance to have a serious impact.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Firstly, I agree with BH that Hoiles really isn't showing up as better than Dennis. My problem with Dennis is not so much play, in fact I thought he went all right against the Bulls, but leadership. Particularly in that Force game, where they scored a couple of 'against the run of play' tries, that is where we really needed some leadership and, imo, it was missing.

What Hooper has shown on the paddock in the opportunities he has had to lead has been far more inspiring, and while I'm sure it won't happen, personally I think Cheika needs to make the brave call Link made last year and change the captain.

Also, like others here, I would really like to see Horne start at 12. And were I don't agree with BH is re Phipps. He does a lot of positive things during a game, but the basic requirement of a 9, scrum half 101, is a good, flat pass that arrives just in front of the man it's intended for, and I'm afraid that just ain't happening. Mckibben is delivering that, and as I said earlier, brings the add-on of a second goal-kicker.

Cheika made the half time comment last week that they needed to be far more direct, and not try to go wide so soon or so often, but it went largely unheeded. My guess is it has been made reasonably clear during the week at training.
It looked like Hooper was leading on Saturday, all bar the decision making.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Blues XV
1. Tony Woodcock
2. Keven Mealamu
3. Charlie Faumuina
4. Patrick Tuipulotu
5. Tom Donnelly

6. Jerome Kaino
7. Luke Braid
8. Peter Saili
9. Bryn Hall
10. Simon Hickey
11. Lolagi Visinia
12. Ma'a Nonu
13. Francis Saili
14. Frank Halai
15. Charles Piutau

Reserves
16. James Parsons
17. Sam Prattley
18. Angus Ta'avao
19. Hayden Triggs
20. Piri Weepu
21. Steven Luatua
22. Ihaia West
23. Pita Ahki

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The Tahs will have to be ruthless in exposing the Blues' obvious weakness: the inexperience of it's starting halves.

I'd be sending shooters at Hickey all night on defence and run at him as often as possible on attack.

And Phipps to be a pain in the arse for his opposite number Hall every chance he gets.

It's good to see that Piri Weepu is fit enough to play but show him no leeway: don't give him time to do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.