• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Blues vs Rebels, North Harbour Stadium - 2011R10

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CanadianRugby

Why again are the Rebels hoping to hold on to Cipriani next year?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gees the Rebels backrow have been good. And trust me to drop Saffy the week he looks to score big in Fantasy rugby.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Those short balls from Saffy have been effective but they can't afford to bomb tries like they are.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gees the Rebels have let this one go. The Blues were a bit of a mess and had missed so many shots at goal that they were there for the taking but the Rebels needed to be clinical, and just weren't.

Saffy, Delve and Mortlock are my picks for the Rebs so far. Heir forward pack has gone well around the park (outside of the set pieces).

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
This game goes to prove my point regarding being able to get away with all sorts of rubbish at the breakdown if you execute with authority and pace. When the Blues slowed down they started getting penalised. The refereeing of the scrum was woeful. The first four scrums Woodcock didn't bind and didn't get penalised for it.

The scrums are becoming a joke beause of the inability of referees to cover all the laws. It is just to hard with too much to look at all at once. Remove the hit and get the scrums formed then feed the ball in the middle, then we can have a real contest at the scrum again.

Reactions: Epi

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Never thought I'd see a tackler worse than Quade but I think I found one.

Myth Woodcock back to his normal scrum tricks. Hand on the ground every scrum but the referee on the other side. How coincidental.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I reckon Cipriani rushed up so quick he wouldn't have to make a tackle. Huxley was as average as he always has been and nobody should be surprised, but he was a damn sight better than Cipriani who put in a real fourth grade level defensive performance, and handling performance. The only part of his game that is up to standard is his amazing place kicking but does that make up for gifting the opposition 25 points?

I also said in Week 1 that Mitchell was not up to the required standard and this has been proved every week. Vuna is great on attack but caught out of position too often.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
The last try came from a forward pass. The knockdown out of Phipps hand earlier was a knockon. The Rebels butchered several try scoring chances. And yes I think in the last couple of games we have learnt why Martin Johnson has not picked Cipriani. His defence and that of several other backs is disgraceful at this level.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The last try came from a forward pass. The knockdown out of Phipps hand earlier was a knockon. The Rebels butchered several try scoring chances. And yes I think in the last couple of games we have learnt why Martin Johnson has not picked Cipriani. His defence and that of several other backs is disgraceful at this level.

It was a penalty and yellow Card. The Blues player was standing to the side of the "gate" and intentionally knocked the ball down. Professional foul in the red zone. Like I said above do it quickly and with authority and play on quickly. The Crusaders and Blues in particular do this type of thing regularly and get away with more than not.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting that Rod Macqueen is being quoted on Sky News criticising the scrum refereeing. From mt POV he has a strong case.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Interesting that Rod Macqueen is being quoted on Sky News criticising the scrum refereeing. From mt POV he has a strong case.

I'm inclined to agree. I wasn't watching with commentary so I can't tell what the offences were but I got the impression that Afoa was trying to pull his side down all night. Blake wasn't handling it well, Yoda managed it but was using his hand to brace on the ground, which is what made me think there was a consistent element of Afoa.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I'm inclined to agree. I wasn't watching with commentary so I can't tell what the offences were but I got the impression that Afoa was trying to pull his side down all night. Blake wasn't handling it well, Yoda managed it but was using his hand to brace on the ground, which is what made me think there was a consistent element of Afoa.

That coupled with the hand down offences by Woodock (which is his standard binding practice when the ref is on the opposite side to him) from the very first scrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.