• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Blues vs Stormers - R12 - 03 May 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
<<<<starts breathing again. Well done Blues. Very even match, 1 point difference seems about right result

hazzaj

Alfred Walker (16)
amazing defensive performance at the end there by the blues! an amazing turn around from last year, love watching them play

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Only caught the last 10 minutes (damn you brisbane airport and your stupid delays), but wow, what a ten minutes to catch!!!!!

Well done to both teams.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Blues win! Awesome effort against a Springbok laden side.
The Stormers - in relation to their talent - could be the most boring side in the comp'
This game again shows why the Stormers will not win this comp. They had the Blues on the rack in the first half but could not score.

They look great with ball in hand but somehow cannot convert it into points.

Really poor decision making as well. They seem top have no plan other than bashing it up through a forward and when it does not work they cannot change it. This reflects poorly on the captain and the halves who would control this but basically do nothing to change gears.

A great side but with little points in them if that makes any sense.

Jackson really is a very poor ref.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Jean DeVilliers scores more tries than any man with his skills has a right to do. He is like the little engine who could.

But the Blues deserve to win purely on that last defensive effort and conversely the Stormers didn't due to their uninspiring attack.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
CHHHEEEEEEEHHOOOOOOOO!!!! GO THE BLUES!!

Amazing last 5min....mrs bullrush and I just about had heart attacks! Lol

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Jean DeVilliers scores more tries than any man with his skills has a right to do.

Been a while since I have read such utter bullshit.

Not that I think he has great skills becuase he doesn't.

I think he is a case of a guy who plays very well to his strengths.

I am quietly disappointed that he has found some form because I don't want him in the Bok 22 let alone as captain.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Been a while since I have read such utter bullshit.

Not that I think he has great skills becuase he doesn't.

I think he is a case of a guy who plays very well to his strengths.

I am quietly disappointed that he has found some form because I don't want him in the Bok 22 let alone as captain.
So you pretty much agree with my utter bullshit?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sorry I meant Pieter Louw the flanker.
Retired. Congrats to the Blues, great win for them. Stormers well they only have themself to blame. Thought the forwards played well, Duvenhage and Joe P kicking to blame. Hate it when they dont take points on offer specially in the first half. Need to build the innings and this more or less cost us this one. We should have been well ahead at half time and were chasing the game from then on. We could not get the rolling maul going, Ali end up at the wrong side or collapsing and getting away with it.

Anyway still a lot of rugby to be played, we need at least one win from the next two.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I was surprised how little the Stormers trust themselves with ball in hand, they got a great defensive screen, but sure they are capable of more than the incessant kicking they were doing especially in first half. Parl I actually thought the one where Ali ended up on wrong side of maul, was finally a ref getting it correct, once a player comes into a maul, he is in, if the opposition peel off from one side player can keep coming through, I believe Refs usually see a player at back of other teams maul and automatically give penalty,when it is quite often that maul has turned leaving player exactly where he should be.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Would also add that I really didn't think Blues were capable of the defensive performance they put in at end. Luatua was a monster, looks like someone who will get measured up for All Black gear this year, I was also well impressed with Ali Williams, certainly seems to be leading by example, may of been a masterstroke of Sir JK to make him captain!!

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Jean DeVilliers scores more tries than any man with his skills has a right to do. He is like the little engine who could.

But the Blues deserve to win purely on that last defensive effort and conversely the Stormers didn't due to their uninspiring attack.

Actually DeVillers has been a disappointment in attack for the Boks for a few years. He is a "solid" option with good game awareness. I have always felt the Bok backline would be better with someone more dynamic. Perhaps this year Serfontein will replace him?? No, probably not.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Would also add that I really didn't think Blues were capable of the defensive performance they put in at end. Luatua was a monster, looks like someone who will get measured up for All Black gear this year, I was also well impressed with Ali Williams, certainly seems to be leading by example, may of been a masterstroke of Sir JK to make him captain!!

If only he had played like that last week......

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
So you pretty much agree with my utter bullshit?
Ok I'll slow it down a little.

To suggest that any player can be continuously lucky over a 12 year career is absurd. The guy knows how to get himself into the right place at the right time.

So good getting himself into the right positions, hard straight runner, good on defense. That's it. Limited, but super effective.

Is it what we need for the Boks? No.

Are we getting there?

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Blue, I think Meyer's attachment to the Bulls' rugby philosophy is holding the Boks back.

Long may it continue!:)

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Ok I'll slow it down a little.

To suggest that any player can be continuously lucky over a 12 year career is absurd. The guy knows how to get himself into the right place at the right time.

So good getting himself into the right positions, hard straight runner, good on defense. That's it. Limited, but super effective.

Is it what we need for the Boks? No.

Are we getting there?
Ok, I'll slow it down a little for you too.

I was saying the exact same thing you have said and complementing him at the same time. He doesn't have the jet boots or the silky skills. He has nous and heart and continually plays better than you would expect. He is more than the sum of his parts. I never once mentioned the word luck.

See, two people can play the "lets be a condescending wanker" game.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Blue, I think Meyer's attachment to the Bulls' rugby philosophy is holding the Boks back.

Long may it continue!:)

Well the Bulls philosophy is changing slowly but surely.

Whether Meyer will change is another issue altogether.

The Bulls are mixing it up. Sure the cornerstone of the game is still there but Steyn is varying where he takes the ball and for the first time in ages they have a ball playing 12 and 13 and they are trying to use them.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Ok, I'll slow it down a little for you too.

I was saying the exact same thing you have said

No you didn't. You said he had no right to do it. This bizarre notion that his skill set is somehow not worthy.

I understand though. For most Australians fans if a back doesn't have twinkle toes, fancy sidesteps and no look passes they somehow aren't "good enough".

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)

Agree about the De VIlliers part but the Blues kicked 6 penalties and the Stormers scored 2 tries? Confuse on who got the uninspiring attack?

In reality the game was decided by a dubious breakdown penalty. Assistant referee had adjudged that the ball had come off a Stormers player off a kick, when really it was Rene Ranger that it came off. It was quite clear on television, and was an unforgiveable mistake at a key moment of the game. Again Stormers have been unlucky with the calls and that is what can make or break a season due sides being so close. Did Blues deserve to win it? Well what do they normally say when you only score by kicks and fail to score a try in NZ?

Status
Not open for further replies.