• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brisbane Global Rugby Tens

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Came to post the same. An odd move seemingly. Nsw govt obviously can't take it (and won't) with the 7s. I guess Qld is the only market left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Very odd when you consider Duco are the organisers for both events, selling 200'000 tickets to events across 7 days in Brisbane sounds like an enormous ask..

Auckland 9s + Brisbane 10s = Brisbane 9.5s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Best two-day crowd was allegedly 89K in year one (2014), it's declined each year after that even going by the claimed figures which always look inflated (but, TBF, no moreso than those for the Wellywood 7's of late).

EDIT: Obits already starting to appear incl this rather bizarre one re the "Singles Zone" that they (supposedly inadvertently) used Aaron Smith's (not sure if current or ex) partner in some early promo material:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league...point-of-a-singles-zone-at-the-auckland-nines

Also this rather more measured one (OTT headline excepted):

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/89103357/auckland-nines-doomed-as-nrl-look-elsewhere

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
This might work itself out in a weird way, though no-one will be that happy.

26-28 Jan - Sydney 7s
3-4 Feb - Wellington 7s and Brisbane 9s
10-11 Feb - Brisbane 10s

Everyone has a bit of clear air in that case. Brisbane 10s the biggest loser in this decision, you'd think.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^ I doubt Dean Lonergan is stoopid enough to try to run NRL 9's & Union 10's at the same venue on consecutive weekends. He'll either pick one & ditch the other, or find an alternate venue for it, almost certainly based on what's best for Dean Lonergan. He's that kinda guy.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
^^^^^^^^ I doubt Dean Lonergan is stoopid enough to try to run NRL 9's & Union 10's at the same venue on consecutive weekends. He'll either pick one & ditch the other, or find an alternate venue for it, almost certainly based on what's best for Dean Lonergan. He's that kinda guy.
Yeah, I'm taking the rumour of the 9's moving to Brisbane as a message to Qld Rugby fans to get to Suncorp next weekend or there wont be a 2018 Tens.

Which is a bit sad as there are more rugby related banners/signs & other advertising around Brisbane now than there's been since the Lions Tour.

And although the Queensland Gov is backing the 10s, I don't think they'd take much persuading to dump it for the 9's.

Still not onboard with Duco's strategy of no single day tickets. Just doesn't make a lot of sense.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
FUCK ME I'm getting sick of the modern world's penchance for outrage.

Look, to me "rugby" means 31 people on the pitch. Period.

But if we're going to embrace Viva, 7's, 10's, whatever, then simply embarace it!! Let next year be next year. Dig in, enjoy. And PLEASE let these organisers/authorities know that a rugby crowd is a worthwhile, valuable thing.

Dig in deep, get behind it. <outrage later... much later>

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
9s, 10s and two 7s tournaments being hosted in a 3 week period. anyone thought may be its just a bit too much.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Tens Citycat was launched today.

Courier Mail on Saturday was forecasting crowds of 30,000 per day so hopefully the weather isn't as hot as the 35/37 forecast. Or hopefully Suncorp Stadium will be a bit flexible with allowing people onto the upper levels to get out of the sun.

11215056805e2f1d93937a53ff849fcc.jpg

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Well the crowd will be exactly the same both days according to the tickets.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Well the crowd will be exactly the same both days according to the tickets.
Yeah but you have to allow for the hangover factor. If people are on the turps for 9-12 hours on Saturday in 35 degree temps, backing up again on Sunday to sit in 37 degree heat will not be easy.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Yeah but you have to allow for the hangover factor. If people are on the turps for 9-12 hours on Saturday in 35 degree temps, backing up again on Sunday to sit in 37 degree heat will not be easy.
We all just did it at the 7s last weekend.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Finally got sent from the Stadium management my free tickets for the game as I'm a local resident to Suncorp. Looked at the seats and while they're in the Platinum section, they're located on the East stand in the single digit rows.

Hopefully the organisers have come up with some strategies to deal with this heat otherwise I'll be cooked like a Sunday roast.

Status
Not open for further replies.