• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

British & Irish Lions tour of New Zealand (2017)

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Defeat? It was a draw.

While this tour did expose the lack of depth at hooker, the ABs did unearth talent at 12 (Laumape) and 15 (Jordie). I think a rested Rieko will beat out Julian for the 11 jersey in The Rugby Championship too.

Hansen being all gracious in not achieving victory then.

K

KAOPointman

Defeat? It was a draw.

While this tour did expose the lack of depth at hooker, the ABs did unearth talent at 12 (Laumape) and 15 (Jordie). I think a rested Rieko will beat out Julian for the 11 jersey in The Rugby Championship too.
Totally agree....while Julian is a great runner with the ball.....he's terrible under highballs...passing, and most everything bar running over wingers......Rieko is a talent and a half!

da_grubster

Ted Fahey (11)
You know QH, I was almost glad series wasn't decided on an offside call in the dying minutes of the game, doesn't matter what was right or wrong decision. If that decision had happened in the 10th minute of the game it would hardly have been mentioned, and really can live with it anyway, mind you Ialways defend refs;). And the AB supporters that are complaining about the team, and the supporters from other teams that are attempting to rubbish the ABs over the result are I believe being very dis respectful to a very good Lion's team who I cannot imagine anyone else beating to be honest! My only problem will be trying to get real excited over the RC now.

DAnny, looked like a great trip mate. I understand what you are saying but the 2nd test was decided like that as well as the 2 previous penalties for the lions - retallick's head high and webbs pass into a prone, lying flat Crockett essentially decided 6 points for the lions.

Anyway, the ruling isn't the problem. It's the poites process, actions and decision making that is. It's inexplicable really and he made up the ball touching the shoulder to justify a clear cut catch of the ball that went nowhere near the shoulder!

Enjoyed the series and thought the lions were very good and made the most of their luck/breaks during the last two games and we have a lot of work ons!

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Mingling with the peasantry is one of the many onerous duties the Lord of the Manor must perform, you've gotta keep an eye on them in case they start revolting (as opposed to merely being revolting :))

tumblr_inline_ooae32jRdR1sjxwx2_500.gif

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Haha, “Romain got it right”. No wonder it’s accrued 179 comments and counting. Our poxy post-match discussion here has mustered all of 30 posts. Can’t the mods pull a lever and siphon off the front page comments into our playpen back here? Come to think of it, Mr Speaker, WHY do we have TWO separate and segregated platforms for comments? I propose a daring merger. Systems indicate this would result in a **MARKED INCREASE** in the number of posts.

Why would anyone bother being a “front page member” and not join the forus proper?

Back here we got:

* a nice big photo next to our posts.
* plenty of room to attach photos of stupid shit we like inside our actual post field. (I like lots of stupid shit)
* a “like” system (I buy all my "likes" off the Deep Web and affix them to the foot of my posts with an artistic flourish)
* access to old threads, why, I can mosey over to the 2006 Transvaal vs Queensland Reds match day thread and tack on a “Quade shouldn’t have kicked it there” addendii after 8 years of total thread inactivity any old time I like. Try that on the front page! May as well try scheduling a tittie-tassled tremolo toggle-pulling concertina in the terraforma!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
One thing I haven't seen is a good view across the halfway line at the kick off. The main footage has a closeup on Barrett kicking off and then when it pans out, Read is a long way in front of every other All Black.

I'd love to know whether he was actually behind the kicker when Barrett kicks off.

Barrett also kicks off from about a foot behind the halfway line so Read has to be behind that point when the ball is kicked, not just behind the halfway line.

Reactions: gel

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
One thing I haven't seen is a good view across the halfway line at the kick off. The main footage has a closeup on Barrett kicking off and then when it pans out, Read is a long way in front of every other All Black.

I'd love to know whether he was actually behind the kicker when Barrett kicks off.

Barrett also kicks off from about a foot behind the halfway line so Read has to be behind that point when the ball is kicked, not just behind the halfway line.

Good points. Additionally, Read's charge into the off-the-ground catcher is an action I remember to have been penalised in Super Rugby this season.

Reactions: gel

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Read's charge into the off-the-ground catcher is an action I remember to have been penalised in Super Rugby this season.
thats what Warburton asked Poite to review. he & Ayoub conferred and decided "no". That's when the enormity of what he was about to do hit Poite and he went full Reverse Joubert
Of course not. You and I both know there have been at least 3 players in front of every kicker at every kickoff in rugby history.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

I was at the game, and there sure didn't look like anyone was in front, I actually seem to recall a couple running from deep to have speed on, though not sure if Read was one, but to be fair I suppose we can imagine any offence we didn't see we want:rolleyes:. Did you wonder if all the others were behind the kickoffs that both teams had during the game?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
DAnny, looked like a great trip mate. I understand what you are saying but the 2nd test was decided like that as well as the 2 previous penalties for the lions - retallick's head high and webbs pass into a prone, lying flat Crockett essentially decided 6 points for the lions.

Anyway, the ruling isn't the problem. It's the poites process, actions and decision making that is. It's inexplicable really and he made up the ball touching the shoulder to justify a clear cut catch of the ball that went nowhere near the shoulder!

Enjoyed the series and thought the lions were very good and made the most of their luck/breaks during the last two games and we have a lot of work ons!

Apparently Garces was the one who said it might be accidental, but I have no probs with his decision, he the ref,I just wish he had played advantage. But as I said before I think he was feeling the pressure as much as the players. Anyway unless we review every decision a ref makes,for both teams, not just the ones in the final minutes, we are all only guessing what difference they make to the game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I was at the game, and there sure didn't look like anyone was in front, I actually seem to recall a couple running from deep to have speed on, though not sure if Read was one, but to be fair I suppose we can imagine any offence we didn't see we want:rolleyes:. Did you wonder if all the others were behind the kickoffs that both teams had during the game?

This was the only one that was reviewed so it was surprising that it wasn't looked at given they looked at the other two key aspects of the play over and over again.

Clearly there are often players slightly in front of the kicker and they are rarely called back. There is also rarely a need to have a TMO review of a kickoff.

Here's the best picture I can get from the Youtube video. It is inconclusive as the ball has already left Barrett's foot (and the frames where he is kicking are zoomed in on him so you can't see whether Read is in front of him).

Certainly Read is easily the furthest advanced.
ABs Lions final kickoff.jpg

You can also see that the position Barrett kicks from is a fair way behind the halfway line.

Barrett final kickoff.jpg

da_grubster

Ted Fahey (11)
Apparently Garces was the one who said it might be accidental, but I have no probs with his decision, he the ref,I just wish he had played advantage. But as I said before I think he was feeling the pressure as much as the players. Anyway unless we review every decision a ref makes,for both teams, not just the ones in the final minutes, we are all only guessing what difference they make to the game.

Yeah, shit happens mate. The game is being almost unmanageable from a referee point of view and after match discussions are do I aged by refereeing mistakes. We keeping adding new laws etc but don't take any away. The pressure the players are putting on the ref is not acceptable and clouds the refs judegement and slows the game down.

It seems an impossible job to be aref these days.

Anyway, looking at the incident again, Read could have easily been penalised as well. It was a great series and we don't get those very often. Roll on 12 years!

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Impressed by the Lions. They come together for such a short period of time, go into New Zealand and draw a series, holding NZ to 2 tries (one from a kick) in the last 2 tests when facing match point after the first test.

Defence and the ability to take the few chance they were given goes a long way. Basically, you give away a penalty to the Lions within 55 metres of your own line, it's points against you. NZ are always good for a few of those and the Lions kickers took full toll.

These tours need to continue, they drew this time, won last time. Pretty clear NH rugby is on the way up.

Heard a different argument (before the last test match) on the radio last weekend. Mark McBain (Wallaby #637) reckons that the New Zealand Super Rugby teams have faced such weak competition from the Australian and South African teams, that they have slipped backwards and the B&IL were their first decent opposition for some time.