• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

John S

Desmond Connor (43)

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Third article lost me when they described Kafer as 'highly respected commentator and analyst of the game'
You would think any sort of remotely transparent organisation would note that everyone quoted (excluding the mystery and un-named 'person present at the meeting') was an employee of Fox, who are negotiating for the broadcast rights.
These guys really are ethically bankrupt!

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Do SANZAAR still split the tv deals between them? I am sure that was how it worked in the past.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Not sure were to put this I choice the broadcast thread as the best fit over the Super Rugby & RA treads.

Lots of media reports doing the rounds that FFA have in getting the final payment for this year from Fox re did there TV deal. Essentially FFA were in breach of their contract and arguably their contract could have been rescinded.

Key points the same and maybe an extra FTA game, all games broadcast even with the new team added. The amount could be halved to 28 million per season.

Most don't think its half more one third off.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Trying to understand the reporting of the league TV deal. Original deal 5yrs $1.8b for 2018-2022. They are now saying that there is a new deal covering the remaining three years plus an additional four for $2.3B. Does they mean they have taken a 10% cut on the original?

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
With the level of media experience (currently and soon to be) between Simon Rabbitt, Cameron Murray and Hamish McLennan do we think there is an option to go to in house production? Clearly there would need to secure some investment to make this occur.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
With the level of media experience (currently and soon to be) between Simon Rabbitt, Cameron Murray and Hamish McLennan do we think there is an option to go to in house production? Clearly there would need to secure some investment to make this occur.

A lot of investment. I struggle to see how we would have enough product to justify in-house production facilities and all the resources.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Trying to understand the reporting of the league TV deal. Original deal 5yrs $1.8b for 2018-2022. They are now saying that there is a new deal covering the remaining three years plus an additional four for $2.3B. Does they mean they have taken a 10% cut on the original?

Correct, it's about 30million less a year.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

Yes, in principle. I've said before in some 2-way debate here with @mst that in a much slimmed-down and better run rugby domestic pro comp I think a conceptually viable media model for RA could be a combo of (a) some FTA interest re all-of-code broadcasting for select games and time slots with (b) an in-house produced, but much 'deeper' as to product content, RA niche rugby streaming service.

Yes, for (b), some investment would be needed but the results could be better than zero other income and, say, in 2021 just c. $2m pa or so coming in from FTA. For (b), if produced well, I could see it as credible that RA could in time gain 50,000 plus subs paying $30 pm = $18m pa. Production resources could be shared with FTA and would cost in the region of say $4-$5m pa depending up the game model adopted.

This requires radical and innovative new thinking however and that is clearly not going to come from the existing RA 'establishment'.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)

I think it's been discussed before on this thread - the investment required would not be that large. Foxtel already outsource production to NEP, who provide all the broadcast facilities. Taking production in-house would mostly be a matter of RA paying NEP directly, and then being able to package a finished product to Foxtel, Optus, whoever, who in turn don't have to pay a production company. That could be more attractive for someone like Optus. The requirements from RA would be providing the commentators, and the content outside of the games themselves.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think it's been discussed before on this thread - the investment required would not be that large. Foxtel already outsource production to NEP, who provide all the broadcast facilities. Taking production in-house would mostly be a matter of RA paying NEP directly, and then being able to package a finished product to Foxtel, Optus, whoever, who in turn don't have to pay a production company. That could be more attractive for someone like Optus. The requirements from RA would be providing the commentators, and the content outside of the games themselves.

Sounds like a case of 'watch this space' to me. Does this mean we get to look forward to a Dan Herbert and Phil Waugh commentary team?

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yes, in principle. I've said before in some 2-way debate here with @mst that in a much slimmed-down and better run rugby domestic pro comp I think a conceptually viable media model for RA could be a combo of (a) some FTA interest re all-of-code broadcasting for select games and time slots with (b) an in-house produced, but much 'deeper' as to product content, RA niche rugby streaming service.

Yes, for (b), some investment would be needed but the results could be better than zero other income and, say, in 2021 just c. $2m pa or so coming in from FTA. For (b), if produced well, I could see it as credible that RA could in time gain 50,000 plus subs paying $30 pm = $18m pa. Production resources could be shared with FTA and would cost in the region of say $4-$5m pa depending up the game model adopted.

This requires radical and innovative new thinking however and that is clearly not going to come from the existing RA 'establishment'.

The discussions were mainly pre COVID-19. I think the options you and @mst have outlined previously are much closer to fruition now than prior however the story still remains. We need some $$$ to do it.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Whether this happens, or when this condensed 5/6 team Australian Super Rugby comp gets off the ground, I reckon we should be moving heaven and earth to get Sean Maloney commentating.

He is doing Rugby Nation with Beth Newman on rugby.com.au each week. I imagine that isn't the highest of paying gigs ($0)