• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

T

TOCC

I hope the ARU stream the non-televised NRC matches. They should do it cheap but decent and offer it free through youtube.

If the IRB can afford decent streaming (with commentary) for the women's 7's series and many American colleges and amateur clubs can afford streaming for their matches then it can't be that expensive! It doesn't have to be HD with 8 camera angles.

Foxtel own the rights across all platforms, that's not to say they won't agree to some of the non televised matches been broadcast on other mediums..The QRU has been doing it with some of the junior gold games this year.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Foxtel own the rights across all platforms, that's not to say they won't agree to some of the non televised matches been broadcast on other mediums..The QRU has been doing it with some of the junior gold games this year.

Well I hope the ARU are talking with them about it.

It's in Foxtel's interests for the NRC to be a long term success, and the more visible the competition is the greater chance it will have to grow.

Perhaps they could set it up so that existing Fox Sports subscribers can watch it for free and anyone else could pay a small subscription. Or they could just make the streams free and easy to access for everyone (to maximise viewers) and put their advertising all around it. There are a few options.

Reactions: mst

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Or they could just make the streams free and easy to access for everyone (to maximise viewers) and put their advertising all around it. There are a few options.

If there is one thing about you I like more than the combination of name and avatar, it's your optimism!

Remember that the good people at Foxtard are still too stupid and/or greedy to realise they could boost their bottom line by selling more flexible packages to increase their penetration rate.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Remember that the good people at Foxtard are still too stupid and/or greedy to realise they could boost their bottom line by selling more flexible packages to increase their penetration rate.

Yes it's sad isn't it. But they're going to have to change soon otherwise it won't be long until the likes of Netflix destroys them.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Very few corporations are managed strategically, I doubt that Foxtel (or Fox Sports in particular) would be one of them.

The vast majority of corporate decisions are short-term, because the managers making those decisions are judged and rewarded on current results, not on creating an environment in which results will be better in, say, three years time.

So Fox Sports will do what is good for them today, this week, this month, this financial year. Maybe, at a stretch, they will think ahead to next financial year (and occasionally they have to think ahead for the term of a contract, like the SANZAR contract).

Beyond that, forget about it. They just do not care, because there is no incentive in it for the current managers to make sacrifices now for the sake of possible future corporate gains.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Why not incorproate a Club package with the NRC deal (SS and Bris premier) for FTA. This would give them regular OZ content and help create interest in the later NRC comp

T

Train Without a Station

Because nobody wants to watch it. Hence why they have to play the ABC to broadcast it now.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Anyone who has Foxtel Play and tries to watch sport on Saturday know how much in denial Foxtel are.

Every Saturday night Foxtel Play drops out due to the high demand, and people go on Facebook to complain. Generally, the first response is always they've had no other complaints, go troubleshoot your connection. Yeah, because all those complaints at the same time each week stating that it's dropped after previously being fine is obviously their own fault, not Foxtel's.

And don't even try to ring Foxtel to complain - it's all your fault, always.

T

TOCC

Maybe it's a server/locality issue, I live in Sydney and I haven't had any problems of Foxtel Go dropping out, granted Foxtel Play is a different app I assume it uses the same server, I just downloaded Foxtel Play onto the PS4 so I will see how it goes this weekend.

The only problem is you need a pretty fast connection, 3-4mps whilst not super quick is beyond most connections in Australia.

T

TOCC

As for Foxtel lacking foresight, well it's been mentioned that Foxtel agreed to allowing one game of A-League per week onto SBS in the hope it would attract more fans to Foxtel, apparently the results haven't been convincing which is reflected in the ratings thread.

That been said, SBS lacks the marketing ability of the commercial networks.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I hope the ARU stream the non-televised NRC matches. They should do it cheap but decent and offer it free through youtube.

If the IRB can afford decent streaming (with commentary) for the women's 7's series and many American colleges and amateur clubs can afford streaming for their matches then it can't be that expensive! It doesn't have to be HD with 8 camera angles.

I'm sure it's chump change for the US Colleges.........

I doubt the ARU are going to fork out their own money to hire OB crews to broadcast these matches........

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm sure it's chump change for the US Colleges...

I doubt the ARU are going to fork out their own money to hire OB crews to broadcast these matches....

I'd bet it's the rugby clubs within the colleges that pay for it rather than the actual College administration. And there are non-University affiliated clubs in America that manage to stream matches as well.

It wouldn't have to be a slick production. Plus, surely there'll be some filming of these matches anyway for highlights packages etc. And teams will want to be able to review footage of the games.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It wouldn't have to be a slick production. Plus, surely there'll be some filming of these matches anyway for highlights packages etc. And teams will want to be able to review footage of the games.

Some coaches assistant filming on their handycam for training purposes is a far cry from having a match professionally filmed and broadcast live on the internet...........

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You could imagine that there will be filming of a quality good enough to put games on Youtube afterwards but I'd be prett surprised if any of the NRC grounds have the capabilities to live stream a game adequately.

You need significant levels of broadcasting equipment to be able to do that because a standard internet connection isn't sufficient.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Some coaches assistant filming on their handycam for training purposes is a far cry from having a match professionally filmed and broadcast live on the internet.....

Who will do the filming for the television highlights packages? Some bloke with a handycam? I doubt it. But hey, even that would be better than nothing.

Even some of the minor unions of the world have successfully managed to stream games. Some Junior Gold Cup matches were streamed! It just can't be that difficult. I mean you could probably get perfectly competent university students to do it for a sausage roll and a beer. The only issue would be whether Fox wants it to happen or not.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
You need significant levels of broadcasting equipment to be able to do that because a standard internet connection isn't sufficient.

Fair enough...but most of the teams will be playing out of decent grounds. At least 5 of them (Perth, Melbourne, Stars, Rays, Brisbane City) anyway.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Er, no.... news crew.

Yeah that's my point. A professional crew with all the technology required to film a game at a decent quality.

Anyway I give up. I suppose while streaming (at a decent quality too) is possible for amateur clubs in America and the likes of the Chilean Rugby Union, it's too big a challenge for a professional domestic competition in Australia.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As BH mentioned, it's easy to have a guy with a single camera to shoot highlights to upload afterwards, but it's a much bigger task to be independently hiring OB crews with the equipment to broadcast 3-4 live games per week...........