• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Telstra is fucking shit if you're in a metro area - my wife pays them $55 a month for a BYO plan that has less data than I get for half the price with my ISP through Optus.

Completely understand it for rural areas where other coverage is sketchy.

Fuck I'm excited for this. I haven't given a flying fuck about pro rugby in so long.

Yeah understand some people in metro areas could get away with less.

But for me, I travel a lot in regional areas, and no other network offers coverage as wide as Telstra. The premium you pay is worth it for me.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
They can always bring in journos like GeeRob as part of a panel show, pre-game show, etc, like Ch7 does during the cricket. Lou Ransome does work with ABC now, but they refer to her as a "freelance reporter". Anyway, good group.

Yeah I hope so. There is just a real opportunity to do something different.

Mitchell is just Mehrtens but younger.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Some other names worth looking at Saia or Ant Fainga'a, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Matt Giteau and Christian Lealiifano (pretty sure he has been cut from his Japanese team).

Pretty sure those two have their own player management agency now. Might have been a conflict of interest.

"Geez the reserve prop for the Tahs looks pretty bloody good, he should be starting, or maybe get signed by a team in Japan"

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
That’s if Fox is still around in 5 years

Foxtel as the name brand may not , but they've already pivoted enough into streaming with Binge and Kayo that some form of what we knew as Foxtel will continue to exist, providing they can keep their sports and HBO catalogues, which I guess isn't a given.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Foxtel as the name brand may not , but they've already pivoted enough into streaming with Binge and Kayo that some form of what we knew as Foxtel will continue to exist, providing they can keep their sports and HBO catalogues, which I guess isn't a given.

its yet to be seen, they've pivoted into an area where they now have heavy competition. Heavy discounting on all their products comes at a cost, i'd be surprised if they can afford to keep all those catalogues and sports in the face of increasing competition. Problem for SVOD is it has a significantly higher churn rate then the old cable networks, a bad year or loss of a catalogue like HBO year can kill a provider.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah duration of a deal is one metric, I’d be more concerned about the loss of FTA coverage though. This Kayo ‘Freebies’ concept just isn’t the same thing.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Sevens is still with Fox, World Rugby negotiate that. Maybe when it comes up next it might shift to Stan.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Anyone pick up when Nick McArdle said all games will be shown on GEM? I had a small glimmer of hope that CHANNEL 9 would show the game like they have been talking about. Anyway agree - all the major newspapers in Sydney have had big ads as well as TV. Haven't seen publicity like this for years. Now we need people to watch to make it worthwhile.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Same could be said for both the WBBL and AFLW. The loss of the FTA outlet is a bit of a concern. As we can attest.

I would say the same about those two

Especially AFLW, they’re lucky they got anything. They expanded way too early and haven’t amended rules to make the game more enjoyable to watch resulting in a trash product.

Loss of free to air is certainly not ideal, however with the culture of netball in this country I think their code will fare better than ours did, plus I’d challenge that getting the netty comp more professional and paying athletes accordingly is a pretty high priority

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Not bad.

Diversity. Dropped the guy with African heritage for a guy with Pacific Islander heritage and added two women.

Would have liked to see Tiana Penitani, Mollie Gray, Georgia Robinson, Chloe Dalton or Lou Ransome get a run. Might be hard for the two current players but the rest all have a background in this stuff.

Some other names worth looking at Saia or Ant Fainga'a, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Matt Giteau and Christian Lealiifano (pretty sure he has been cut from his Japanese team).

I guess Morgan has had the most recent high performance experience with his time at the Rebels (his analysis is always outstanding). Would like to get another analytical head in there. Someone with recent top coaching or playing experience.

Hoiles and/or Gerrad would have been good but both coaching in the USA.

I would like a current or recently retried referee to add to the broadcast, similar to the NFL where the former referees are not commentating but on standby to add a comment of something interesting happens. Proper explanations of rulings would be great