• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Plenty of Stan marketing around Brisbane, hadn’t noticed it in Sydney but billboards and radio ads advertising Stan as the new home of rugby. Dont know why the picture looks like that, it was normal in real life.
B748A0A1-8976-4D6C-AF0A-19E33D92523B.jpeg

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Solid cast, I'm surprised Lou Ransom didn't get a gig though? Hopefully she's still around with Sean, Drew and Hoilesy for that vod/podcast series as that was excellent.

Otherwise, with Morgan T and Ben Kimber being tied up with Stan and GaGR losing its flagship, I'm losing out of things listen to!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
ABACC7E9-6C7E-405F-BA0B-54654C194B92.jpeg

I really disliked Drew Mitchell when he first started commentating, was trying to be one of the boys still making inside jokes, was pretty lame to watch. But I thought he really improved through his discussion on the Aussie Rugby Show season, and think he is a good addition now.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I really disliked Drew Mitchell when he first started commentating, was trying to be one of the boys still making inside jokes, was pretty lame to watch. But I thought he really improved through his discussion on the Aussie Rugby Show season, and think he is a good addition now.

Yes, it's really important to see what approach Stan take to engaging the audience. The talent is good, but like you say with Drew, it depends whether they are pushed to be intelligent, analytical, and welcoming to a wide audience, or allowed to just run with the stupid inside jokes. E.g. Ch9 cricket in its declining years.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yes, it's really important to see what approach Stan take to engaging the audience. The talent is good, but like you say with Drew, it depends whether they are pushed to be intelligent, analytical, and welcoming to a wide audience, or allowed to just run with the stupid inside jokes. E.g. Ch9 cricket in its declining years.

The Ch9 cricket commentators you speak of had an average age of 65, had held their posts for 20 years and came from an era of arrogance within Australian cricket.

These guys are a whole different kettle of fish, they're broadcasting on behalf of a new investment and know they need to build this audience outside the core group of staunch supporters if Super Rugby has any chance of regaining its footing within Australian sports broadcasts. I have pretty high hopes for this crew.

To be honest I'm surprised they don't have another traditionally League type commentator involved aside from Ferguson. I thought Nine might make a play to stir up some conversation outside the regular circles.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Ch9 cricket commentators you speak of had an average age of 65, had held their posts for 20 years and came from an era of arrogance within Australian cricket.

These guys are a whole different kettle of fish, they're broadcasting on behalf of a new investment and know they need to build this audience outside the core group of staunch supporters if Super Rugby has any chance of regaining its footing within Australian sports broadcasts. I have pretty high hopes for this crew.

To be honest I'm surprised they don't have another traditionally League type commentator involved aside from Ferguson. I thought Nine might make a play to stir up some conversation outside the regular circles.

I think he's talking about the Channel 9 cricket commentators after that era.

That golden age (where they mostly were over 60) was reflected clearly when Chappelli went from being the worst commentator of that group to the best commentator 9 had once the others had all retired/died.

The Channel 9 commentators Rob42 is referring to are the likes of Warne, Slater, Brayshaw etc. when Brad McNamara was the manager. Geoff Lemon wrote about it here. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/feb/13/channel-nine-destroying-cricket-legacy

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yep fair point - I think the first reported case of rapid onset ear bleeds in Australia was just after the trio you mention took the reigns.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Not bad.

Diversity. Dropped the guy with African heritage for a guy with Pacific Islander heritage and added two women.

Would have liked to see Tiana Penitani, Mollie Gray, Georgia Robinson, Chloe Dalton or Lou Ransome get a run. Might be hard for the two current players but the rest all have a background in this stuff.

Some other names worth looking at Saia or Ant Fainga'a, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Matt Giteau and Christian Lealiifano (pretty sure he has been cut from his Japanese team).

I guess Morgan has had the most recent high performance experience with his time at the Rebels (his analysis is always outstanding). Would like to get another analytical head in there. Someone with recent top coaching or playing experience.

Hoiles and/or Gerrad would have been good but both coaching in the USA.

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)

Can I still tag all my rugby related tweets with #MuteKearns?

But seriously, other than Horan these are all the people I liked from the Fox Sports team + a few new faces. 9 have done well to bring them over.

Solid cast, I'm surprised Lou Ransom didn't get a gig though?

Isn't she with ABC Grandstand now?

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Not bad.

Diversity. Dropped the guy with African heritage for a guy with Pacific Islander heritage and added two women.

Would have liked to see Tiana Penitani, Mollie Gray, Georgia Robinson, Chloe Dalton or Lou Ransome get a run. Might be hard for the two current players but the rest all have a background in this stuff.

Some other names worth looking at Saia or Ant Fainga'a, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Matt Giteau and Christian Lealiifano (pretty sure he has been cut from his Japanese team).

I guess Morgan has had the most recent high performance experience with his time at the Rebels (his analysis is always outstanding). Would like to get another analytical head in there. Someone with recent top coaching or playing experience.

Hoiles and/or Gerrad would have been good but both coaching in the USA.

They can always bring in journos like GeeRob as part of a panel show, pre-game show, etc, like Ch7 does during the cricket. Lou Ransome does work with ABC now, but they refer to her as a "freelance reporter". Anyway, good group.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Love how News Corp marketed this as innovative and a new exciting development. When in reality it’s just a competitor folding and Telstra paying a discount for those customers to go to Kayo. Data free viewing was the biggest benefit out of Telstra offering this package, now that’s gone.

Telstra is fucking shit if you're in a metro area - my wife pays them $55 a month for a BYO plan that has less data than I get for half the price with my ISP through Optus.

Completely understand it for rural areas where other coverage is sketchy.

Fuck I'm excited for this. I haven't given a flying fuck about pro rugby in so long.

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

You mean like cricket commentators now? Warne is dire and O'Keefe spends most of his air time reeling out bad one liners.

Crew looks good. I rate Turinui.