• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
One of the 6 nations telecasts this weekend had the ref's words drown out the commentary.
Fantastic stuff.

The NFL is the best at doing referee commentary, they have a former referee available for contact at any given moment for multiple games.

Decisions like the McReight decision may be correct, but without a proper explanation they make Rugby look confusing. At work today, one of my mates asked me why it was a penalty but it never seems to be called in any other game.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
One of the 6 nations telecasts this weekend had the ref's words drown out the commentary.
Fantastic stuff.

I was real impressed with how the conversation between Luke Pearce (the Ref) and Wayne Barnes (TMO) was broadcast, they were real clear exactly what they were looking at and why-very good!

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
The NFL is the best at doing referee commentary, they have a former referee available for contact at any given moment for multiple games.

Decisions like the McReight decision may be correct, but without a proper explanation they make Rugby look confusing. At work today, one of my mates asked me why it was a penalty but it never seems to be called in any other game.

Adding a ref to the commentary team would be nice, but really, it shouldn't be that hard for former professional rugby players and current professional commentators to understand the laws of their game.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Adding a ref to the commentary team would be nice, but really, it shouldn't be that hard for former professional rugby players and current professional commentators to understand the laws of their game.

Surely doing their level 1 would be the first thing you would ask of them.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Surely doing their level 1 would be the first thing you would ask of them.

Yes, I respect that the new commentary team are clearly trying to avoid bitching about the refs, but nevertheless, they can do better. It's crucial if they want to help new viewers of the sport.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The McReight no try decision demonstrated why a referee needs to be involved in the broadcast, even if they are waiting by a phone to phone in their opinion.

Being a former Test player does not mean you are an exert on the laws of the game and this was a prime example of how Rugby could really add expertise to the broadcast.

They should be able to easily cover this. It wasn't complicated at all.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
While I'm not a Gordan Bray fan he was a qualified ref and used to ref games when he came up to Brisbane to work. Had a good understanding of the laws.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It amazes me that commentators that are generally quite knowledgeable suddenly forget the million times they yelled out "hands in the ruck" when they were playing or watching.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I know a lot of you don't watch Super Ao, but in Chiefs/Canes game on Saturday, Kane Hames was doing commentary work in the box. He a former player(Super and AB) and now a serious ref , coming up through the ranks. I personally find him excellent, and as an ex prop gives some great analysis of scrumming and penalties etc.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Maybe Berry and Murphy will be angling for commentary roles when they have finished reffing? Both have played and reffed in professional set ups.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Maybe Berry and Murphy will be angling for commentary roles when they have finished reffing? Both have played and reffed in professional set ups.

Yep but Hames is still on way up as a ref, he only stopped playing because of concussion problems or soemthing. Just think they would be interesting too.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I know a lot of you don't watch Super Ao, but in Chiefs/Canes game on Saturday, Kane Hames was doing commentary work in the box. He a former player(Super and AB) and now a serious ref , coming up through the ranks. I personally find him excellent, and as an ex prop gives some great analysis of scrumming and penalties etc.

All of the above places Pfitzy as the perfect addition to the Stan team - desperately short of front row knowledge as they are.

And I do watch SRA because it is an insight into what they're doing across the ditch. I'm also comforted that New Zealand Rugby is behind Australia in refereeing ;)