• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I found the pregame of the Reds v Tahs quite cringeworthy, specifically the interaction between Alana and Cheika.

When they headed over to the ‘touch screen’ Chieka start rambling about the Reds back row hunting in a pack, but the footage wasn’t really ideal to support this point, and he kept instructing Alana to press the buttons for him. Seemed like she was there just to push buttons and not have any input in that segment, was a very odd 5mins.

Aside from that I’ve been pretty impressed with everyone.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Its also no regional and no stan or ch.9 digital. Would be around 150k, which is 3 times what Fox were getting

It's likely even higher than that. Regional and 9Now ratings would likely be in and around those numbers. Reckon combined with Stan we may find it is closer to 200k if not slightly above.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Beggars belief given the actual content on show. I've been impressed with Stan so far and think they've added a lot.

Commentary needs some ironing out but it'll improve over time.

Reactions: dru

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think a TT would probably give a pretty decent bump to ratings, at least for the FTA match, there's plenty of kiwi fans in Australia and plenty of traditional rugby fans who want to watch games against the traditional enemy.

I think there's a strong chance Reds vs Crusaders will be the highest ratings regular season match of the year

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
(That all sounds a bit presumptuous on my part but wasn’t intended to be. Rebels can easily come home hard and knock off the Reds and Brumbies. Sorry Rebels fans!)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I hope Stan carefully review their Waratahs first policy for the FTA match come TT time (if it still goes ahead, not looking great).

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I hope Stan carefully review their Waratahs first policy for the FTA match come TT time (if it still goes ahead, not looking great).

Yep, based on performances I'd expect that majority should be shared between Reds and Brumbies, why risk low viewing knowing that the Tah's will probably go for cricket scores, even against the Blues.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Stan will want to keep some of the higher rating matches behind a paywall just to encourage viewers to sign up

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yep, based on performances I'd expect that majority should be shared between Reds and Brumbies, why risk low viewing knowing that the Tah's will probably go for cricket scores, even against the Blues.

I agree that they want to get some of the biggest games on FTA involving the Reds and Brumbies but the reality is that viewership in NSW is consistently highest regardless of how the Tahs are performing. This is mostly by virtue of being one of the two main rugby states and having 3 million more people than Queensland.

Personally I'd be aiming to put the Tahs on FTA against the worst couple of NZ teams.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I agree that they want to get some of the biggest games on FTA involving the Reds and Brumbies but the reality is that viewership in NSW is consistently highest regardless of how the Tahs are performing. This is mostly by virtue of being one of the two main rugby states and having 3 million more people than Queensland.

Personally I'd be aiming to put the Tahs on FTA against the worst couple of NZ teams.
You should probably look at giving everyone a game each. Why on earth do the Tahs deserve two games? Considering they are going to concede 50 plus each week