• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Jeez I think that's pretty tenuous. I've heard many reasons why people aren't invested in rugby, but I've never heard 'not enough gambling options'.
Not really. Coming from Melbourne it’s an AFL dominated city nearly all my mates bet on the footy all same game multis. Before the season starts they will watch the storm as they can put on a same game multi. They have no interest in watching super rugby as they don’t care about it and there is no way of making them care. When they watch an AFL game their side isn’t in they care because the multi has them invested in the result, same with the NRL and BBL

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
That just tells me all your mates have severe gambling problems, if they cannot be interested in something without being able to gamble better on it.
It’s how young people consume sport. You wouldn’t say having beers with a mate and watching a game means you have a severe drinking problem

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You would find sports body’s normally do have a say. Like how the AFL makes sure Sydney and GWS get FTA games to the point they will put it on FTA into NSW even if it’s not meant to be the FTA game. Don’t get me wrong the Tahs deserve to be on FTA but so do the Rebels Brumbies and Force

It's a completely different agreement.

Channel Seven have the rights to broadcast up to 5 games a week on FTA but they aren't locked into which games they are and they don't have to be the same games everywhere. They broadcast a minimum of three games a week.

Channel Seven have the rights to broadcast all West Coast/Freo to WA, Port/Adelaide to SA, Brisbane/GC to Qld and Sydney/GWS to NSW.

Foxtel broadcasts every game live (9 per week) (except the grand final which Channel 7 has exclusive rights to).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ch9 was hit by a cyberattack Sunday/Monday, which has made broadcasting (and publishing the SMH) difficult. Might also be that some of the hosts were stuck in Brisbane?

I’m guessing the hacking problem Nine have had might be affecting the production of some shows?

Pretty much.......... I know that their news operations are still without basic facilities like internet and landline phones.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The more that comes out about it, the more it just sounds like someone opened an email attachment they shouldn't and killed their whole network.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's a completely different agreement.

Channel Seven have the rights to broadcast up to 5 games a week on FTA but they aren't locked into which games they are and they don't have to be the same games everywhere. They broadcast a minimum of three games a week.

Channel Seven have the rights to broadcast all West Coast/Freo to WA, Port/Adelaide to SA, Brisbane/GC to Qld and Sydney/GWS to NSW.

Foxtel broadcasts every game live (9 per week) (except the grand final which Channel 7 has exclusive rights to).
They can only average 4 games a week, I agree the deals they have where different but I think the one thing the AFL do better than anyone else is they are always looking to grow the game. I know their financial resources are unparalleled in Australian sport but it’s the attitude ever since the formation of the Australasian Football Council in 1906 (latter known the Australian Football National Council) they have had systems in place to support and grow the games outside the heartland. With the levy system being the first where clubs in predominant Aussie Rules areas had to pay a levy to support the game in ACT NSW and QLD.

Now the attitude in rugby is completely different it’s a lot more along the lines of be grateful you have a side at all

Look at the effort the AFL is making now in Sydney’s west. You wouldn’t even get the a proportionate amount of spending in Melbourne despite Melbourne’s west and the south east being two of the top three fastest growing areas.

The sooner we model the administration of the game on how the the AFL works with the commission the better

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree with heaps of that.

Maybe the query is why doesn't Gem show different games to different cities each week? I guess their fear might be that if you can always watch your team, you won't sign up to Stan.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I agree with heaps of that.

Maybe the query is why doesn't Gem show different games to different cities each week? I guess their fear might be that if you can always watch your team, you won't sign up to Stan.
That’s the big issue with only two games a week. If they showed the Tahs Reds in NSW and QLD and the Force Brumbies in Perth and Canberra then nobody would get Stan sports.

I think that it’s something that can get looked at next year though especially if we go with a full TT comp

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It’s how young people consume sport. You wouldn’t say having beers with a mate and watching a game means you have a severe drinking problem

I get that, but your complaint isn't that you can't bet on rugby, it's you can't do a specific type of bet on rugby. I enjoy the occasional same game multi, but it's not like I am bereft of gambling options if that feature isn't there.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I get that, but your complaint isn't that you can't bet on rugby, it's you can't do a specific type of bet on rugby. I enjoy the occasional same game multi, but it's not like I am bereft of gambling options if that feature isn't there.
But the beauty of a same game multi is small outlay and high return. Also inevitably the final leg fails so it keeps you interested for the entire game

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That’s the big issue with only two games a week. If they showed the Tahs Reds in NSW and QLD and the Force Brumbies in Perth and Canberra then nobody would get Stan sports.

I think that it’s something that can get looked at next year though especially if we go with a full TT comp

Agreed.

It becomes far more compelling to sign up to Stan when there are potentially 5 Aussie games a week (if we were all playing NZ teams) and then the potential to show different local games also becomes more viable.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Agreed.

It becomes far more compelling to sign up to Stan when there are potentially 5 Aussie games a week (if we were all playing NZ teams) and then the potential to show different local games also becomes more viable.
I am very bullish about the future of the game here and I think the Stan era is off to a good start just think somethings can be fine tuned. The force have something like 2 FTA games and that’s not good enough. I think they will sort out what works and what doesn’t this year and be back bigger and better than ever next year

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)

If you can't watch without the beers with a mate, then I certainly would make that claim and that they're not so much a fan of the sport as of drinking - the game being incidental. You're being far too dismissive of the gambling problem.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
If you can't watch without the beers with a mate, then I certainly would make that claim and that they're not so much a fan of the sport as of drinking - the game being incidental. You're being far too dismissive of the gambling problem.
But how do you grow the game. I have a mate who got into rugby just as he watched it to have a beer with mates and now is a Rebels member. But I guess he has a drinking problem

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Club rugby broadcasts, let’s hope they’re able to stagger some of the kick off times to enable fans to watch more the one game live

BC3EC1E4-23D8-44F9-A1B5-268CA1D008C2.jpeg

dru

Tim Horan (67)
You do have the chance to go back over the games from replay. I have really enjoyed the QPR stream in the last couple of years. May even pick an SRU team and follow them along side the Tigers. [Pirates probably.]

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Mehrtens, Maloney & Morgs last night were comfortably the best commentary trio I think I have heard in Aussie Rugby.

Perfect balance of presentation & showmanship, actual knowledge of both the players and the sport itself, impartiality (calling out referee in respectful way one minute, applauding her the next) and wonderful pronunciation of Pasifika names.