• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Why do you believe that Hong Kong could work? Yes, the Sevens is a big event, and so is the occasional Test match. That is because they are seen as big social occasions, drawing lots of people who go for the fun and are only superficially interested in rugby per se, and they also draw lots of expat tourists from the region for the weekend.

It is notoriously difficult to make estimates, but I would guess that there are about 50,000 expats from the Western world at any time, certainly not enough to support a Soup franchise, and definitely not enough to make the slightest ripple in local HK tv ratings.

I suppose if HSBC decided to fund a franchise, it could work through sheer weight of corporate money. But they are already sponsoring the IRB Sevens, and have recently given up their sponsorship of the Tahs.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Everyone says japan but they get no one to their top league games. It is all corporate money. Can someone clarify television broadcasting and audiences in japan? I don't even think japan would work

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
From a roar article on SBW in japan

Only 2,200 turned up for his debut in Sapporo, and 2,608 watched his first game in Tokyo. Saturday’s clash drew a crowd of 12,300 — about half the number who watched Japan’s under-20 Women’s World Cup football match with South Korea last month.

Despite Williams, attendances at Top League games, which are not televised, are down for the third year running. Such figures will make uncomfortable reading for the Japan Rugby Football Union.

Munehiko Harada, a sports marketing expert at Waseda University, questioned whether Williams represented value for money, and said a better way to raise standards would be sending young players to stronger leagues abroad.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Why in the world does anyone think japan would be a success ?

Only because of corporate money, for some reason the big corporations seem to enjoy pouring bucketloads of money into the game.

The only place in Asia that might end up as a rugby power is China. And there are not signs of that happening.

I mention China partly because of the sheer size of the population, plus the fact that they can produce big athletes, especially in the north.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I believe (someone confirm?) there is a statutory requirement in japan for large corporates to put a percentage of profits back into community and for whatever reason this has traditionally gone to rugby.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Because they have money, structure, tradition, athleticism and great potential. Otherwise, I can't think of a thing.

Japan has gone virtually nowhere as a rugby nation, unfortunately, and there is no sign that the trend will change. When was the last time Japan toured Australia? When do you believe there will be another tour?

Never, unfortunately.

Harv

Herbert Moran (7)
Japan has gone virtually nowhere as a rugby nation, unfortunately, and there is no sign that the trend will change. When was the last time Japan toured Australia? When do you believe there will be another tour?

Never, unfortunately.
A tour of Australia is not the defining characteristic of a rugby nation's pedigree. And I'd suggest it's ill advised not to speculate positively about what could happen outside the boundaries of the home unions and other countries with large lumbering forwards. Maybe you think the future of the game is in Scotland where a couple of hundred people watch elite standard rugby at regional level? Or Italy where 2,000 is a blockbuster crowd to the biggest provincial matches (which are inevitably boring, low skill kick a thons). Japan has a more sophisicated domestic structure than Australia and most everywhere else. It's prime territory that's been ignored/dismissed for decades through a combination of ignorance, excess caution and bigotry.

T

TOCC

Why do you believe that Hong Kong could work? Yes, the Sevens is a big event, and so is the occasional Test match. That is because they are seen as big social occasions, drawing lots of people who go for the fun and are only superficially interested in rugby per se, and they also draw lots of expat tourists from the region for the weekend.

Hong Kong RFU has over $35million AUD in cash reserves, which is a reflection of the organisations ability to not only host successful sporting events but attract corporate support.

Whilst I think Hong Kong could work, i don't necessarily support a side from Hong Kong.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hong Kong RFU has over $35million AUD in cash reserves, which.

they aren't about to piss away on a Super Rugby side that'd be either (a) a bunch of blow-ins the locals won't support; (b) a bunch of locals getting flogged by 60+ every week that the locals won't support; or (c) a bunch of blow-ins plus a few locals getting flogged by 40+ every week that the locals won't support.

I think @Boyo, on the other hand, may be onto something.

T

TOCC

Japan has a more sophisicated domestic structure than Australia and most everywhere else. It's prime territory that's been ignored/dismissed for decades through a combination of ignorance, excess caution and bigotry.

What rubbish, the domestic league in Japan is the byproduct of government legislation and tax deductions which makes corporate support of professional sporting teams highly attractive to large corporations.

The national team isn't competitive with the Tier 1 nations, hence why regular tests are not played against them.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Japan have nearly half their side made up of imports. Their national league is just a dick-swinging contest for corporations whose hierarchy played the game or want to sponsor big blokes smacking into each other but can't in sumo.

The Hong Kong or Singapore teams would just be a barbarians side full of whiteys or islanders, with no feel for the local population, who mostly care to give their fucks to soccer anyway.

North America might be a market potentially 10 times the size of Australia, but as with Loig and Aussie Rules, there are going to be rusted-on supporters of grid iron, basketball, baseball etc.

Now can we get back to the ACTUAL topic? Read the title if you've forgotten.

Harv

Herbert Moran (7)
What rubbish, the domestic league in Japan is the byproduct of government legislation and tax deductions which makes corporate support of professional sporting teams highly attractive to large corporations.

The national team isn't competitive with the Tier 1 nations, hence why regular tests are not played against them.
And the health of the Australian and New Zealand competitions is? And who needs corporate and government support?

Harv

Herbert Moran (7)
Japan have nearly half their side made up of imports. Their national league is just a dick-swinging contest for corporations whose hierarchy played the game or want to sponsor big blokes smacking into each other but can't in sumo.

The Hong Kong or Singapore teams would just be a barbarians side full of whiteys or islanders, with no feel for the local population, who mostly care to give their fucks to soccer anyway.

North America might be a market potentially 10 times the size of Australia, but as with Loig and Aussie Rules, there are going to be rusted-on supporters of grid iron, basketball, baseball etc.

Now can we get back to the ACTUAL topic? Read the title if you've forgotten.
Noticed the topic Scoop; it was about broadcast options for Australian rugby. Humbly suggest they won't be coming at a sustainable level from Australia or New Zealand alone in the future. You thinking Fiji?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Why not a second-division Super Rugby comp'?

I actually think that could be an interesting option. Especially ad a means for future expansion ambitions. I know a few years ago there were a group in the US that were very serious about bringing pro Rugby to the US. They ended up putting it off after one of the group (one of the six) decided they wanted to wait for the economic conditions to improve.

Still word is the other 5 were still very keen with an interest in Super Rugby. I think the opportunity exists now with the successful inaugural season of the Pacific Rugby Premiership for SANZAR to use that structure to progressively develop the championship into an entirely new conference with eyes on full inclusion come 2021. Similar could be done with Asia and possibly Sth America in time.

T

TOCC

And the health of the Australian and New Zealand competitions is? And who needs corporate and government support?

funded through supply and demand...

Australian/New Zealand Rugby derives it's funding through consumer demand in the form of broadcast rights, marketing and crowds, not government legislation and companies seeking tax deductions.

What part of the domestic rugby in Japan is more sophisticated then Australia, NZ, France, England?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Noticed the topic Scoop; it was about broadcast options for Australian rugby. Humbly suggest they won't be coming at a sustainable level from Australia or New Zealand alone in the future. You thinking Fiji?

Well, arrogantly I suggest there is more potential to exploit the Australian market than the North American market in the short term.

There is fan base here that hasn't been touched, that needs engagement in order to boost numbers rather than just us masochists.

The problem is we've done the options to death on this thread already, and rather than come to consensus we all think we've got the answer.

Would just be easier if you all agreed with me and we got on with it.

Harv

Herbert Moran (7)
funded through supply and demand.

Australian/New Zealand Rugby derives it's funding through consumer demand in the form of broadcast rights, marketing and crowds, not government legislation and companies seeking tax deductions.

What part of the domestic rugby in Japan is more sophisticated then Australia, NZ, France, England?
Mate, the issue is 'supply and demand' as it stands is clearly not enough, it's why the game is going/is broke domestically. And since when has corporate money been shooed away in Australia? The Magner's Shute Shield would never be tarnished by sponsorship, nor the Qantas Wallabies. Japan has a national league, which seems to be a distinct one up on Australia (it also has a ultra competitive college competition) and the ability to pay a couple of dozen of the world's best players as much money as they could make anywhere in the world hints at a degree of professional sport sophistication.