• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
To be fair to the Tahs the front of your jersey would come at a higher price tag
Maybe but you guys have quite a few sponsors, your merch is epic (Ours sucks) and you are paying your Super W team. Honestly, I think the results will come

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And you completely missed the point.

Yes every kid in Melbourne loved the Tigers when Gaze was there but 10 years or so after they are no more. The organisation needed to be bailed out and rebranded. When they were rebuilt into winners fans came back

The victory fans disappear as soon as they are not winning. It has always been the case

No, I don't think I did because I don't believe the Rebels are in a comparable situation...

Yes, fans drop off when sporting teams are not winning... but those other teams mentioned have maintained stronger support within sports that have considerably more exposure and popularity in Melbourne.

As I said, it's going to take more than just winning for the Rebels to garner a consistent following... and they're not helped by rugby's lack of popularity down here.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yes every kid in Melbourne loved the Tigers when Gaze was there but 10 years or so after they are no more. The organisation needed to be bailed out and rebranded. When they were rebuilt into winners fans came back
Isn't comparing the fan base of an NBL team a bit of an unfair comparison to other sports?

The NBL as a whole needed to be bailed out, the competition ceased to exist. Teams across the nation copped a hit to their fan base and only seem to be climbing out of that hole now.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
No, I don't think I did because I don't believe the Rebels are in a comparable situation...

Yes, fans drop off when sporting teams are not winning... but those other teams mentioned have maintained stronger support within sports that have considerably more exposure and popularity in Melbourne.

As I said, it's going to take more than just winning for the Rebels to garner a consistent following... and they're not helped by rugby's lack of popularity down here.
Well the tigers did not maintain stronger support that’s why the club died along with all the other Victorian NBL clubs and had to be rebranded Melbourne United

The popularity of rugby in Melbourne is fine fans just don’t like the Rebels. Most blokes I have met through grass roots union here are Storm members. Why? Not because they prefer league it’s because the Rebels suck and have always sucked

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
91k - Gem (Not including Stan)

Post-game was 84k, which goes to show that most people stuck around for the highlights, such a good game to watch (TMO aside)
That's a solid return on that game. Probably somewhere between 120-140k after regionals are added. Would like to find out the ratings for the previous fortnight.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
That's a solid return on that game. Probably somewhere between 120-140k after regionals are added. Would like to find out the ratings for the previous fortnight.
Didn’t make the top 20 last fortnight.

So Tahs V Bru didn’t crack 83’000 which I found surprising.

And Reb v For didn’t crack up 100’000, which I found less surprising.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
So are figures up or down on last year? I don't even know where anyone find figures.

The only one's I've seen have been rd 1 which was actually up 14% on last season and last night's. Which there's no baseline for but is fairly pleasing. The Rebels/Force game wouldn't have rated well. No idea about the Brumbies/Tahs.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Didn't crack the Top 20 for the first round either.
Rd 1 did, I was referring multi-channel ratings.
CBAC5FD1-6572-450F-9D16-887532363461.jpeg

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Ah, ok. Was looking at the general ratings. You wouldn't have a link to them for future reference? That makes the Brumbies/Tahs game the more disappointing then as last year that saw 84k tune in on Gem.
Nah Super Rugby Pacific wouldn’t crack general ratings. This is this weeks, you can see previous weeks by selecting multi-channel filter and scrolling through.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Nah Super Rugby Pacific wouldn’t crack general ratings. This is this weeks, you can see previous weeks by selecting multi-channel filter and scrolling through.

Well, we have the Tahs/Rebels next week. With the Tahs win today hopefully that'll draw in more viewers. If they win that then round 6 could be a good result.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well, we have the Tahs/Rebels next week. With the Tahs win today hopefully that'll draw in more viewers. If they win that then round 6 could be a good result.
It's fair enough that they're spreading the TV games around and I definitely argued for it earlier in the thread but it's wild that the AU grand final rematch is not the broadcast game next week. The tv game selection is feeling a lot more like an afterthought when the covid reschedule happened.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Well the tigers did not maintain stronger support that’s why the club died along with all the other Victorian NBL clubs and had to be rebranded Melbourne United
It could be a cautionary tale for future NRC endeavours with existing clubs. The name was so intrinsically linked to what was a fairly unpopular (and my former) junior rep club (because of its use of its NBL club ties), that it was too on the nose for the rest of Vic basketball to support. It mattered less when Coburg, St Kilda and Nunawading had sides in 80s and 90s. Once Melbourne became a one town club it ceased to work and Larry Kestleman forced the rebrand.