• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
For a game that was organised at the last minute, I thought eth Drua Rebels crowd was decent. The stand was pretty full. Also, let's face it it was never going to get a big crowd to begin with.
I thought it was good as could be expected too Jamie, change of venue, neutral ground etc etc.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Like Dan I've been hearing the phrase all my life & for some reason always had the idea it came from gold mining days & referenced sabotaging the other guy's workings to give yourself a better chance of striking it rich. I don't believe the Whangamōmona origin story for a minute, place wouldn't have been settled by pakeha until at least 1870 & been pretty much Bush until the railway came through maybe 40-50 years later.

Edit: many NZ gold-seekers came over from Victoria or even California & were of Irish extaction so it wouldn't surprise me if the true origin was Irish & to do with fucking up the English mills or whatever.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Unfortunately it will probably be the first game since 2018 I don’t go to this week. Can’t give a free ticket to anyone
Ouch that doesn't sound good Rebel, why so little interest do you think? Is it NRL/AFL starting or just no interest in Rebels?

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I am ok with it - wet weather or not gives that other code some free hits. Atrocious weather. We also know rebels struggling.
Whilst ever income is derived from ticket sale I do not think it is a good look to hide figures. It looks like the code is trying to hide something and makes it hard to believe any good results as there is a history of hiding the truth.

If the Rebels had 15000 turn up this week in actual numbers who would believe it is true?

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ouch that doesn't sound good Rebel, why so little interest do you think? Is it NRL/AFL starting or just no interest in Rebels?
Look there is low interest in the Rebels. My only mates who are normally keen are leaving Friday for a weekend away. I was meant to be away with them but had a family thing on the Sunday so had to pull out

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The latter... unfortunately it's been that way for many years.
The interest is there if they win. Simple build a successful side and the fans will come back.

We are second tier sport here in Melbourne, the Victory were terrible last year and they were getting terrible crowds, they are winning again and the fans are back. The Melbourne tigers were a powerhouse and then died after they fell away on court. The Storm are the only side that has achieved any level of consistency over a long period and the fans are stable as a result of that

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Whilst ever income is derived from ticket sale I do not think it is a good look to hide figures. It looks like the code is trying to hide something and makes it hard to believe any good results as there is a history of hiding the truth.

If the Rebels had 15000 turn up this week in actual numbers who would believe it is true?
Yeah, I really don't like the hiding of crowd numbers - even if they're shit just take the Brumbies approach and publish them as way to bring fans back. Tahs in particular should be trying to build a good news story out of increasing crowd numbers, to do that they need to publish the lows as well as the highs. Force is maybe understandable because of covid reduced crowds, but even then it's basically a free hit for a low crowd as everyone understand why.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The interest is there if they win. Simple build a successful side and the fans will come back.

We are second tier sport here in Melbourne, the Victory were terrible last year and they were getting terrible crowds, they are winning again and the fans are back. The Melbourne tigers were a powerhouse and then died after they fell away on court. The Storm are the only side that has achieved any level of consistency over a long period and the fans are stable as a result of that

Soccer and basketball are immensely more popular in Melbourne...

Aside from poor results, there might have been something else going on in the world contributing to Victory's small crowds last year.

Melbourne United (formerly the Tigers) were routinely selling out games pre-Covid.

As for the Rebels, they lost a lot of good will among casual sports fans and the media down many years ago, and interest in rugby in general is pretty low which certainly doesn't help...

I think it's going to take more than just winning to get people back through the gates.

[/pessimistic Wednesday morning rant]

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Onwards and upwards, guys, the Rebels need to win a couple of games, and when the kiwis are in town you might get a few more people through the gates.

I might even head down there for Super Round

You are ticking a lot of other boxes like sponsorship, geez the thas don't even have a main sponsor

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Soccer and basketball are immensely more popular in Melbourne...

Aside from poor results, there might have been something else going on in the world contributing to Victory's small crowds last year.

Melbourne United (formerly the Tigers) were routinely selling out games pre-Covid.

As for the Rebels, they lost a lot of good will among casual sports fans and the media down many years ago, and interest in rugby in general is pretty low which certainly doesn't help...

I think it's going to take more than just winning to get people back through the gates.

[/pessimistic Wednesday morning rant]
And you completely missed the point.

Yes every kid in Melbourne loved the Tigers when Gaze was there but 10 years or so after they are no more. The organisation needed to be bailed out and rebranded. When they were rebuilt into winners fans came back

The victory fans disappear as soon as they are not winning. It has always been the case

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Onwards and upwards, guys, the Rebels need to win a couple of games, and when the kiwis are in town you might get a few more people through the gates.

I might even head down there for Super Round

You are ticking a lot of other boxes like sponsorship, geez the thas don't even have a main sponsor
To be fair to the Tahs the front of your jersey would come at a higher price tag