• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I mean if all 5 AU teams were all super competitive I don’t think it would matter who else you played.

Of course that is the argument for dropping back to 4 teams…

I enjoyed watching the Super W this year as a bit of variation, still being able to support ‘The Reds’ but in a different format where the games were more unpredictable.

Makes me wonder if we end up back in a SuperAU model down the track, would it be worth bringing in an U20 or ‘A’ competition along with the Super W Comp to all run concurrently. It would mean plenty of rugby to watch. To be fair the depth may not be there to run a good comp though.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I don’t think you have play the kiwi sides any less or the derbies more often, just the packaging of the season calendar more conducive of engaging audiences. SRAU then a separate comp with kiwi sides and/or Japanese sides after each country has celebrated a domestic champion, just like what happens in Europe and every successful football competition.
I think mixing the games up as per original draw would of been a great help, and would of helped keep not only interest up, but also get the teams widening their playing style.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Boy Jamie, someone speaking sense! Good to see someone still looking outwards instead of inwards. I really looking forward to the different opposition.
Bloody Hell the game couldn't look anymore outwards, we've had 21 years of Super Rugby and at one stage the competition involved five continents, and about 50 different time zones. What part of that was speaking sense.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Bloody Hell the game couldn't look anymore outwards, we've had 21 years of Super Rugby and at one stage the competition involved five continents, and about 50 different time zones. What part of that was speaking sense.
Exactly.

SANZAAR spent 25 fucken years ‘looking outward’(what at the duck does that even mean), all at the detriment of the domestic game, especially in Australia.

It’s about time Australia focus on what Is best suited to growing the game in Australia. And TT clearly isn’t it, certainly not whilst such a disparity between the team exists.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Stan to have a crack at the AFL rights. I wonder what the implications are on rugby with one more season left on our deal

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I tend to disagree. The novelties of playing the brumbies and reds wear off pretty quickly. I used look forward to these games now it’s every second week. It gets boring

the force and rebels are not firing. Can’t wait for the kiwi games. And we should be aiming high. Not hiding in super AU.
I'm bored of playing against the Brumbies who have one play style; milk a penalty, get banks to boot it to the 5m line and then cheese it up over the chalk line with a maul.

Looking forward to seeing how a non-hung over Reds and Brumbies go against the Kiwis this year.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm bored of playing against the Brumbies who have one play style; milk a penalty, get banks to boot it to the 5m line and then cheese it up over the chalk line with a maul.

Looking forward to seeing how a non-hung over Reds and Brumbies go against the Kiwis this year.
Funny thing is, if you take the finals games away the reds played the Brumbies exactly the same amount of times last year as they did the previous decade.

Need to keep SRAU and find another comp in there as well for diversification against other teams. A model where all your teams can go years without winning anything is not a great model for engagement. Unfortunately rugby now has a stench to it in Aus as been a group of losers, the diminishing return of this is talented athletes aren’t attracted to that which means the likelihood of turning that around isn’t great. If we had a domestic comp combined with some trans-national comp at least you always have the guarantee of celebrating something once a year. Just have to look at the Reds financial performance from last financial year to see what a massive boost SRAU provided them. Rugby was also at a decade high in popularity in QLD despite getting trounced in a few kiwi matches in the comp after.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Exactly.

SANZAAR spent 25 fucken years ‘looking outward’(what at the duck does that even mean), all at the detriment of the domestic game, especially in Australia.

It’s about time Australia focus on what Is best suited to growing the game in Australia. And TT clearly isn’t it, certainly not whilst such a disparity between the team exists.
By looking outwards I mean not just shrinking playing 5 teams against each other a year, and to stop all the disparity whinging, and moaning, because with some it would carry on if it just Aus teams as we see on here accusations that there is a Tahs,Qld etc bias and it;s run for Eastern seaboard, or for private schools etc. Just was pleased to see someone who is looking positively and looking forward to games! I am too, looking forward to games against different opposition, you know looking outwards to see how teams from Aus and NZ go against teams playing a different style than we have seen so far.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
By looking outwards I mean not just shrinking playing 5 teams against each other a year, and to stop all the disparity whinging, and moaning, because with some it would carry on if it just Aus teams as we see on here accusations that there is a Tahs,Qld etc bias and it;s run for Eastern seaboard, or for private schools etc. Just was pleased to see someone who is looking positively and looking forward to games! I am too, looking forward to games against different opposition, you know looking outwards to see how teams from Aus and NZ go against teams playing a different style than we have seen so far.
Nobody wants to play just the same 5 teams. I think people want those 5 teams to play for one comp and then play kiwi/Japanese teams in another comp.

So play Aus teams as much as we have the last 10+ years and international teams as much as we have as well. Just both components packaged differently instead of all together.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Stan to have a crack at the AFL rights. I wonder what the implications are on rugby with one more season left on our deal

Geez that would be massive but I can’t see it happening. Unless they are carving out something like one game a week live, similar to how some of the larger sports in the states operate, multiple networks show one or two games each. AFL is a flagship product for Fox so I imagine they will keep control.

Also Channel 9 have the NRL already. They must have come across a pot of gold or be siphoning money for some Russian oligarchs if they can make a play to have AFL, NRL and rugby under one roof…

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
I think at the end of the day we need our 5 teams firing and they are not this year and they didn't last year either. If we are honest about Super Rugby AU, it was all about the Reds and Brumbies, nobody else was going to make the final.

We need to play the Kiwis to get better, as simple as that. Also, the Drua team is a God Send!! I think next year they will win a few games, AND their home games in Fiji are going to be epic, visiting teams will find it hard to win over there - And this is what our teams need.

We all have our opinions, and ideal formulas, the best we can do is support the teams. Here is hoping for a good show!

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Geez that would be massive but I can’t see it happening. Unless they are carving out something like one game a week live, similar to how some of the larger sports in the states operate, multiple networks show one or two games each. AFL is a flagship product for Fox so I imagine they will keep control.

Also Channel 9 have the NRL already. They must have come across a pot of gold or be siphoning money for some Russian oligarchs if they can make a play to have AFL, NRL and rugby under one roof…
Fox has been struggling financially for some time. Yes they will fight hard to keep it but Nine group is looking to grow Stan. It seems very likely the cricket will return to 9.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Nobody wants to play just the same 5 teams. I think people want those 5 teams to play for one comp and then play kiwi/Japanese teams in another comp.

So play Aus teams as much as we have the last 10+ years and international teams as much as we have as well. Just both components packaged differently instead of all together.
I want to play the same 4 teams, then play Kiwi / Japanese / Pacific Island teams afterwards.

I want an Australian champion team each season.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The one thing I think I mentioned, I a little disappointed games aren't at a friendlier time for NZ viewing, as all these games are actually slated as home games for the NZ teams.
All have given up home ground advantage to help promote the game in Aus too, and also agre with them doing it, just maybe for fans here a bit of though may of helped as game needs promoting here too.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
I think at the end of the day we need our 5 teams firing and they are not this year and they didn't last year either. If we are honest about Super Rugby AU, it was all about the Reds and Brumbies, nobody else was going to make the final.

We need to play the Kiwis to get better, as simple as that. Also, the Drua team is a God Send!! I think next year they will win a few games, AND their home games in Fiji are going to be epic, visiting teams will find it hard to win over there - And this is what our teams need.

We all have our opinions, and ideal formulas, the best we can do is support the teams. Here is hoping for a good show!
"We need to play the Kiwis to get better, as simple as that" ffs that line gets trotted out every week. We have been playing NZ teams on a weekly/Fortnigtly basis for over 25 years now, we also play the All Blacks 3-4 times a year as well. Fuck man we should be the worlds best by now.

It is ironic that by playing NZ every week actually has the exact opposite effect on the game here, it makes it slowly weaker every year.

The one thing that will grow the game here and which eventually leads onto a stronger Wallaby side is if the game gets stronger domestically.

We need more people playing and supporting the game. As much as it wants to deny it, Rugby has had its ass handed to it on a plate by the AFL/NRL.

The game has some unique advantages with the likes of World Cups & Lions tours etc, but until it gets serious about domestic growth, that is all just pissing in the wind.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
"We need to play the Kiwis to get better, as simple as that" ffs that line gets trotted out every week. We have been playing NZ teams on a weekly/Fortnigtly basis for over 25 years now, we also play the All Blacks 3-4 times a year as well. Fuck man we should be the worlds best by now.

It is ironic that by playing NZ every week actually has the exact opposite effect on the game here, it makes it slowly weaker every year.

I'm with you on the desired direction but neither polemic seems particularly correct to me. Quite clearly, Australian Super teams playing regular games against Kiwi Super teams, will leave the WB training squad better prepared for the international season. Each WB coach has wanted this.

Whether or not the WB coach or WB coaching system is the best source for dictating how domestic competition requirements are set -well that's a different discussion. To add to it, our better Australian Super coaches have always voiced wanting the Kiwi challenge. And certainly with say, McKellar and Thorn, there is every reason to believe it.

Again, those coaches are one source of input on determining the requirements for domestic professional competition requirements in Australia.

On the basis of broadcast number success, and you'd think commercial success, a competitive roughly level competition has seen strength when barely given a chance. Similarly, the higher the quality of the rugby, it is presumed there will be better commercial and broadcast success. So a combined comp with the Kiwis is completely logical - IF a roughly balanced competition can be arranged. OF course, presuming broadcast basics are nailed - timing of broadcast for domestic market, media chosen for funding and maximising numbers watching, some level of tribalism, a professional game more than superficially meshed into the grass roots rugby movement.

Our problem is that what is required to level the quality has problems. a) condense Aus teams into a smaller number - completelyunacceptable; b) spread the talent, apparently unacceptable to NZR.

So the opportunity isn't there to match sensibly with NZ. So it is well time to readdress the best we can manage domestically. If the Kiwis are happy for it, look to some element of TT cross over, but it needs to start domestically with a pro comp in Australia.

If the Kiwi perspective ever changes, we should consider reverting. Until then? It is time to move on.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
The one thing I think I mentioned, I a little disappointed games aren't at a friendlier time for NZ viewing, as all these games are actually slated as home games for the NZ teams.
All have given up home ground advantage to help promote the game in Aus too, and also agre with them doing it, just maybe for fans here a bit of though may of helped as game needs promoting here too.

I don't think the times are that bad.

It's a slightly later kickoff on the Friday but you have to factor in the fans showing up - they will struggle to get a crowd for a 6pm Friday kickoff local time let alone if it was 5pm. Also bare in mind game 2 features the Force so whilst that kickoff is 10.30pm NZ time it is 6.30pm Perth time.

The Saturday games kick off at the usual time (7pm NZ game 1 + 9.45pm NZ game 2) and the Sunday games are 4pm NZ time and 6.30pm NZ time.