• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Seeing wrap on league matches on sports news and seeing quite full grounds made me open my eyes on the current low crowds at games and where we have got to. I hope over time we can address this.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I believe they will bid. Regardless of time zone, they will get more than the 60k odd Super Rugby gets for games from QFs onwards.

Be like another network than 7 getting the AFL GF. Unprecedented scenes.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I believe they will bid. Regardless of time zone, they will get more than the 60k odd Super Rugby gets for games from QFs onwards.

Sure, they might bid, but why? They under-invested in rugby for years. Even after losing the Super Rugby rights, they continued to blackball rugby news online, they let 6 Nations go to Stan. Why would they see benefit in picking up just the RWC, with no other rugby content to fill in around it?

You'd have to think Stan would see more value in it, to augment their overall rugby package, ensuring people keep paying for the Sport package for 12 months of the year.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Oh course they will bid. RWC brings guaranteed subscribers, that’s all that matters. They couldn’t care less about how they previously treated the game.

Stan will bid as well. The biggest winner is the RWC organizers who would have two parties competing against each other for the rights.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Yep it's about getting only WC, Spark or whoever did it in NZ last one. I would be very surprised if Fox didn't have a good dig at it, and if they got it pick up another comp from NH Gallagher/Heinekin cup etc) just to pad it out for rugby fans.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Tend to agree
Only trouble is mate, crowd figures for normal season don't back it up. Tahs are having decent increase and Reds seem about same or up a little for this part of season .
Example Reds Rebels 2021 - 10500 2022- 14000 odd. I don't know why , but figure for those games came up in a search I had other day for something about Suncorp. I wouldn't even know what other crowds are as last time I looked there were plenty of TBA and still haven't worked out what number that is ;)
Just out of interest watching rugby pod other day, and they suggested players having names on jerseys so fans etc can then buy a jersey , say a Reds jersey with 3 Taniela Tupou , 10 James Connor etc. They were suggesting it a good way to sell jerseys and get people looking at game.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Fox would be crazy not to put in a bid, even if it not a huge one, it may force Stan to pay too much and if Fox win they could just broadcast the minimum. Use the international feed for all but Wallabies games and then just commentate from Australia using the same international feed.

This would annoy plenty of fans, but we would still watch anyway so they come out ahead.

I am interested in 2027 and whether Amazon Prime look at a bid to cover multiple nations.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
As far as I'm aware the bidding started a year ago and was a joint package with the 2021 (played this year) Women's World cup. I haven't seen any announcement about the rights, but I'm pretty sure Stan have the Women's World cup so I'd assume they have the 2023 as well. It was supposed to include the 7's world cup too, but given bein only just acquired those rights I think it's likely they were split from the rest of the package.

If it is still up in the air, Stan/9 would still be heavy favourites. World rugby has traditionally favoured the home broadcaster for each union, with 9 and Stan being able to put in a joint bid that satisfies anti-siphoning laws that status will only be enhanced. As spiteful as Fox might be they don't have the money to really push it here.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
5 years is a long time in sports broadcasting, rugby in Australia will be up for a new contract before then anyway. It’s not impossible that rugby could return to Foxtel by 2027.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
As far as I'm aware the bidding started a year ago and was a joint package with the 2021 (played this year) Women's World cup. I haven't seen any announcement about the rights, but I'm pretty sure Stan have the Women's World cup so I'd assume they have the 2023 as well. It was supposed to include the 7's world cup too, but given bein only just acquired those rights I think it's likely they were split from the rest of the package.

If it is still up in the air, Stan/9 would still be heavy favourites. World rugby has traditionally favoured the home broadcaster for each union, with 9 and Stan being able to put in a joint bid that satisfies anti-siphoning laws that status will only be enhanced. As spiteful as Fox might be they don't have the money to really push it here.
Everyone in NZ thought Foxtel were certainties to do last WC too Wilson, as they broadcast all other rugby in country, but they missed out to aSpark or whoever showed it. I think money is the only criteria.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Everyone in NZ thought Foxtel were certainties to do last WC too Wilson, as they broadcast all other rugby in country, but they missed out to aSpark or whoever showed it. I think money is the only criteria.
The situations are hardly analogous though. Aside from anything else fox are not exactly flush, not enough to outbid Stan out of spite and getting the rugby world cup rights isn't a growth play for them like it was for Spark. More to the point the anti-siphoning laws here add a lot of strength to Stan and Nines position as a joint bidder - fox would have to be paired with one of the other free to air networks and none of them have as much interest in the rugby as Nine so would be unlikely to match their bid.

2027 is a different question, but given it's a home world cup it's almost certain to flow to the major rugby rights holder here for both the investment they'll want to see realised and how entrenched they are in rugby broadcasting here. Fox would have to win rugby rights as a whole back first, and that is looking less and less likely. If it did happen it would probably be the result of an historic deal for Rugby Australia, which is not something to be too worried about happening.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sure they'll bid, but I can't see them out bidding Stan unless they are motivated by something extra. It now falls into a category of nice to have but not part of an over arching strategy for them, offering temporary subs at best. The only other thing to get them over the line would be to deny a competitor or drive the price up but that's not something the have the budget to go deep on these days.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Nothing draws crowds back to rugby like the Wallabies performing well at a RWC.

I honestly don't expect much friction for the 2023 rights. But if the Wobs give it a fair crack, you can be sure the 2027 home turf rights will be very well sought after. Enough for Fox to make a play at getting rugby back on their books in the leadup? Maybe.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
RWC would still be considered a premium product, and Foxtel have the revenue for paying a premium figure, whereas Stan Sport is a bit lower tier in content and lower price point.

It’s difficult to see them not bidding.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Nine/Stan gives them streaming and FTA platforms. Can provide a wider reaching audience than Fox, and that would be an added bonus. The game needs maximum exposure, as do the Wallabies.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Nine/Stan gives them streaming and FTA platforms. Can provide a wider reaching audience than Fox, and that would be an added bonus. The game needs maximum exposure, as do the Wallabies.
Unfortunately the RWC isn’t a RA decision, it’s a World Rugby decision. Sentimentality and internal progression won’t be overly looked at. It’ll be a decision to make the most money so they can reinvest into growing the game in other areas.