• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Why would World Rugby be motivated by that? Fox and a FTA partner (10) like last time works fine for them

theres mutual benefit through contra advertising and cross-promotion achieved in a Stan-Nine relationship that Ten-Foxtel can’t/won’t do.

Whilst the rights are WR (World Rugby)’s to sell, they do discuss in partnership with the local union, and undoubtedly so when it’s the host union.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
theres mutual benefit through contra advertising and cross-promotion achieved in a Stan-Nine relationship that Ten-Foxtel can’t/won’t do.

Whilst the rights are WR (World Rugby)’s to sell, they do discuss in partnership with the local union, and undoubtedly so when it’s the host union.
Exactly, we need to be actively selling the game when we have the WC

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Spark or whoever got last WC rights in NZ, and that was knowing it couldn't be streams to all place in NZ, and NZR and Sky had a close relationship, money is all that talks I think.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
But no Aus teams have actually given up a home game as in the draw all NZ team had home games.
ie Chiefs had Tahs in Hamilton, Canes had Reds in Wellington etc etc etc according to draw.
because NZRU sold the kiwi home games to TEG who in turn sold it to the highest bidder

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Good point, look I not complaining about it, as I have said I think it good idea, especially if it done when they want to, early in season.
Out of interest do you have any idea how generous the deal is from Gov't etc?
But no Aus teams have actually given up a home game as in the draw all NZ team had home games.
ie Chiefs had Tahs in Hamilton, Canes had Reds in Wellington etc etc etc according to draw.

I know covid actually changed when it was meant to be, and still think doing same next year has a lot going for it, and am more than haapy for it to be in Aus as that's where it does the most good re building up rugby.
Each kiwi side was given $300,000 as compensation:
The concept is actually ‘owned’ by New Zealand Rugby, who’ve licensed it out to events company TEG Sport. TEG in turn negotiated a two-year deal with Visit Victoria to bring it to Melbourne, then paid the New Zealand teams who had to surrender home games a flat fee of about $300,000 in compensation for lost gate revenue.
It's not clear if that's $300,000 per year or all up for the 2 years.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Each kiwi side was given $300,000 as compensation:

It's not clear if that's $300,000 per year or all up for the 2 years.

The crowds were loud and spirited but modest, with 30,000 through the gate over three days and seven games of rugby. As a destination event, designed to lure over Kiwi rugby fans to fill Melbourne’s hotels, it flopped

Yeap, there were more green seats visible than blades of grass on the field.

Really hard to see where we go forward with Rugby in Melbourne as it seemed like a pretty wasted opportunity.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Really hard to see where we go forward with Rugby in Melbourne as it seemed like a pretty wasted opportunity.
Yep and have had a message from mate in Brisbane who went down, he said there was no advertising it on in Melbourne. perhap Sanzaar/RA didn't feel there any need for it?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Interested to see the breakdown of the days. Friday was definitely the smallest of the three days crowd wise. Both Saturday and Sunday looked pretty similar from the stands.

Come to think of it there really wasn't any advertising of the event in Melbourne. Definitely needs more if they go with Melbourne again.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yep and have had a message from mate in Brisbane who went down, he said there was no advertising it on in Melbourne. perhap Sanzaar/Rugby Australia didn't feel there any need for it?
Broadly speaking It isn't on Rugby Australia to advertise it, it's on the event promoter TEG - they're the ones making money off of it. RA have a limited marketing budget and it needs to be directed to events that directly feed back into their bottom line - test matches, super rugby games were Australian teams receive the gate, etc. That's not to say they should do nothing, just that this is not where they should spend their limited money. It did feature plenty in their social media and general media, basically anywhere that was free for them. Why TEG didn't do the work is a question for them.

SANZAAR is a different issue, there's a lot more they could and should be doing, but they've been an empty vessel for so long it shouldn't surprise anyone they didn't do any marketing on the ground.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Broadly speaking It isn't on Rugby Australia to advertise it, it's on the event promoter TEG - they're the ones making money off of it. Rugby Australia have a limited marketing budget and it needs to be directed to events that directly feed back into their bottom line - test matches, super rugby games were Australian teams receive the gate, etc. That's not to say they should do nothing, just that this is not where they should spend their limited money. It did feature plenty in their social media and general media, basically anywhere that was free for them. Why TEG didn't do the work is a question for them.

SANZAAR is a different issue, there's a lot more they could and should be doing, but they've been an empty vessel for so long it shouldn't surprise anyone they didn't do any marketing on the ground.
Exactly NZ set it up stand to profit off it doesn’t advertise that it’s on and complain about small crowds

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)

Lol look at the weekend that they staged it on. 170k will go to the two AFL games and locals will be way on school holidays.

Crowds are shit in Aus across the board. Also crowds in Australian sport are down over all. The AFL is 10/20% off pre covid numbers

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I do find it strange that the Aus night games kick off so late in general. I'm sure there is a theory behind it but the stated kickoff time is 7.45pm (as opposed to 7pm for nz night games) and in reality it's closer to 8pm by the time they kick off as the teams are often still on the pitch warming up once the clock ticks over to 7.45pm.
Daylight savings maybe

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I know crowds weren't as big as hoped by some, and seems the advertising wasn't what it could of been , I still think it a good idea especially early in season. Sanzaar or whoever perhaps need to look at getting promotions as the upside for rugby in Aus is good, and why I think it should be in Australia where possible. Seems that those that went enjoyed it and generally looks ok. Let's see if it's run well next year. I do think perhaps as I said promotion needs to be done, and not sure why anyone is disputing who should do it. I just think normally super games are just promoted by individual franchises, so a united front would be better? Don't know if TEG (by the way are an Aus company, someone said it was NZ) got money from Vic gov't so then don't worry about it , or whatever. I do believe Sanzaar (or really NZR and RA) need to actually put some money aside to promote the whole comp anyway!

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
What I'd like to see occur next year is something similar to what was done back in the Vegas leg of the World Series in the States. They'd run grassroots 7s competitions alongside them with teams from all over the country and they'd form a large segment of the crowd. They could look to do something similar with Melbourne. Make it a big Rugby event. Just a thought.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
What I'd like to see occur next year is something similar to what was done back in the Vegas leg of the World Series in the States. They'd run grassroots 7s competitions alongside them with teams from all over the country and they'd form a large segment of the crowd. They could look to do something similar with Melbourne. Make it a big Rugby event. Just a thought.
Gold Coast event was similar when I went, age group and schoolboy/girl competitions being run as well.

Same thing, they all stuck around and added some decent legs to the crowd especially for the final day.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Lol look at the weekend that they staged it on. 170k will go to the two AFL games and locals will be way on school holidays.

Crowds are shit in Aus across the board. Also crowds in Australian sport are down over all. The AFL is 10/20% off pre covid numbers

But what’s the other option? If the aim was to get Kiwi’s across, it has to be on a weekend with a shared public holiday or no one would stick around for the Sunday games.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yep we know that, not sure what your point is. Noone has a problem with it being done.
Dunno mate i’m just responding to your complaints about kiwi teams giving up home ground advantage, they sold it, that’s my point..

The one thing I think I mentioned, I a little disappointed games aren't at a friendlier time for NZ viewing, as all these games are actually slated as home games for the NZ teams.
All have given up home ground advantage

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yep and have had a message from mate in Brisbane who went down, he said there was no advertising it on in Melbourne. perhap Sanzaar/Rugby Australia didn't feel there any need for it?
NZRU sold the games to TEG.. its TEG/NZRU responsibility to market the games in partnership with the host government.

I thought the Aussie teams made a good effort of promoting it on their social media platforms despite it been the kiwis taking home the cash.