• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Season 1 was gloriously hilarious. Expecting it to be the wonderful comeback story of their return to the premiership and crashing down for b2b relegation. I liked season 2, and welcome to Wrexham and Drive to Survive but there's something so moreish about watching everything fall apart with crazy and absurd levels of access that it's clear nobody but the big big boss wanted but were now all contractually obliged to gove.
It's the warts n all approach. Even being in the car with fans hearing them talk about. Docos like the Cricket aren't bad but the players are so aware and it's controlled.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
So has this new comp been sold to Apple yet? Surely that is a goer.

careful the moral police here will bitch & moan about how bad ethically this is while posting it from their iphone in an Uber about to get on a Boeing plane which they will watch a Disney film on while being fueled by bp

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
careful the moral police here will bitch & moan about how bad ethically this is while posting it from their iphone in an Uber about to get on a Boeing plane which they will watch a Disney film on while being fueled by bp
I get what you are saying but I still think you are wrong. Having to purchase goods from unethical companies is more or less a fact of life. Most of those things can't realistically be avoided in any meaningful way for ordinary people doing ordinary things.

That's a whole different thing to having the sport you love sponsored or owned by an authoritarian regime that commits crimes against humanity.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I get what you are saying but I still think you are wrong. Having to purchase goods from unethical companies is more or less a fact of life. Most of those things can't realistically be avoided in any meaningful way for ordinary people doing ordinary things.

That's a whole different thing to having the sport you love sponsored or owned by an authoritarian regime that commits crimes against humanity.

thats a very hypocritical comment imo

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)

I find it a lot easier to just watch the sport, I couldn't tell you who owns the teams I support or who funds the game. I turn on the TV and watch what I enjoy.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Stan/Nine media wagon is in full swing during the off-season at least.

I’ve seen a number of publications on LinkedIn mention how Stan Sports have ‘grown in power by acquiring the rights to all the rugby 7s which will help expand its audience”.

Whilst it is obviously a good thing and 7s and rugby are two different products, I feel like they share a similar audience so it’s not exactly growing the brand. Better than not having it though.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Stan needs to hold onto its existing subscribers as well as pick up new ones. I was planning to drop it after the RWC, and restart for the 6 nations and Super Rugby - but I might well hold onto it for the 7s.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I thought the same but I've been putting on some of the English Premiership. That will pick up as well in a few weeks when all the WC players filter back in.

Get me through to Super Rugby.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I just dont agree that ppl can whine & moan about investment in sport but its okay to use a phone with the same ppl investing in that company.

Besides a few specific sporting teams, none of the teams or leagues are publicly traded entities. Owners and governing bodies are actively making decisions to accept investment.

In terms of publicly traded companies there's no control over who owns your shares. You can only judge the ethical nature of a company by the company's actions (and clearly plenty are bad) not by what their shareholders do.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I just dont agree that ppl can whine & moan about investment in sport but its okay to use a phone with the same ppl investing in that company.
At the risk of blowing up this thread - the idea that you can't be in the middle-ground on ethical issues, or any subject for that matter, takes a very limited view to complex problems imo. All-or-nothing, black and white thinking gets us nowhere.

Probs should save this discussion for another thread though, if anywhere at all.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
At the risk of blowing up this thread - the idea that you can't be in the middle-ground on ethical issues, or any subject for that matter, takes a very limited view to complex problems imo. All-or-nothing, black and white thinking gets us nowhere.

Probs should save this discussion for another thread though, if anywhere at all.

no worries i'll shut up about it

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I know the thread is about Aussie rugby broadcasting, but was laughing to my mate in Aus last night, the main news in NZ over most of WC has had a section on WC (outside of the sports news,)usually about individual or how people were watching etc, and then again in sports news, tonight the team for final was the opening headline news. Certainly something I had missed in Aus.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
But fuck I’m glad Valentine Holmes has moved forward from his white powder scandal and one match ban to line up for the Kangaroos this Saturday.

That’s our main sport story.

Then a mention about the former Tigers player charged with Murder and the other former tigers player charged break and enter.