• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Streaming article well sorta of talks about traditional TV as well, for the NBA in the US.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
NBA is a bit of an outlier in my eyes as it has a huge level of social popularity that is separate to people who may enjoy the sport of Basketball. It a clip-able sport with dunks and how good they are with the 3pt shot now. This opens up a whole world of revenue through advertising online which is massive.

Even wearing an NBA jersey now is more a fashionable thing than showing you support that side. I bet a lot of people with a Steph Curry Golden State jersey wouldn't know they play in San Francisco.

Mark Cuban the Dallas Mavericks owner has a lot of good thoughts on this and is one of the more progressive thinking owners. He very much pushed their presence during covid when all viewing went online with no ability for in person attendance.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
It's a loss to the coverage imo. He wasn't always the most eloquent, but I think his insights were valuable and that he was starting to find his feet as a pundit. I felt he offered something different to most.

Sounds messy, be interesting to see what comes out.

Wonder what it means for his future on GBRA too (should it be renewed) - they're RA aligned it appears, but Stan may still have some pull.

rugbyAU

Arch Winning (36)
I was hoping to read "Sonny Bill Williams won't be returning either"

Don't mind Drew. Could see him doing other media on a network that wouldn't necessarily be sport related. Personable and doesn't ooze the former athlete vibe.
I think Tim Horan and Merthens aren’t great either, Justin Harrison and Morgan turunui the better ones

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
What's wrong with Drew? He's a long way from the worst voice in Stan's team.
Nothing against him, he just doesn't add much for me. Struggles to move on from his perspective as a player to one as a commentator which leaves him in a position of defending mates rather than passing a critical eye over them.

If I had to pick I would much rather see Harrison gone though.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I liked Drew, enjoyed his podcast. Can't read much of the article, what's his grounds for suing? Wrongful termination?

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I liked Drew, enjoyed his podcast. Can't read much of the article, what's his grounds for suing? Wrongful termination?
Mitchell will not appear in Stan Sport’s rugby commentary line-up from 2024, and is taking the streaming service to the Fair Work Commission alleging contraventions of workplace law.

The details of the dispute are not publicly available, but Mitchell appeared at a mediation alongside Stan Sport boss Ben Kimber on Wednesday.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Nothing against him, he just doesn't add much for me. Struggles to move on from his perspective as a player to one as a commentator which leaves him in a position of defending mates rather than passing a critical eye over them.
Definitely understand this view; however, I liked that he could bring the perspective of a recent player, well and truly into the professional era and experienced the modern rugby landscape firsthand. The same cannot be said of the vast majority of ex-player pundits.

Wonder if this opens the door for someone like M Hooper to join the team on a permanent basis?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Definitely understand this view; however, I liked that he could bring the perspective of a recent player, well and truly into the professional era and experienced the modern rugby landscape firsthand. The same cannot be said of the vast majority of ex-player pundits.

Wonder if this opens the door for someone like M Hooper to join the team on a permanent basis?
Or Stirling Mortlock, he's a funny unit.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)

Yeah, it's definitely a balancing act and there is value to it. My major issue is probably the times where he starts to get a bit defensive/reactionary to criticism of players he played with shutting down conversation. I think it works better in the podcast format where he's talking with his contemporaries and they're on even footing.

This does leave the team particularly imbalanced towards those golden era wallabies though, so hopefully someone like Hooper does step in to even it out.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
There's definitely value in having a recent ex-player on a commentary team, to give insight into how the players are thinking, preparing, what coaches are talking about, etc. But that only has value for 2-3 years, and most find it a real struggle to step further back and assess a game that has moved on from them.