• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
FFS English game are broadcast on a different network. Channel ten obviously couldn't get the fta rights at a reasonable price. It will be available elsewhere sometime tomorrow.

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Who hands out the rights / ownership of Wallaby Tests in the first place ? Surely there should be a home market clause for the visiting side if an original on sell or on broadcast cannot be consummated for the visiting sides market of origin ? That is use it or lose it , not unlike mining tenements - if you don't make proper use of a tenement you give up the right to that arrangement. It sounds horribly like if I cant get the price I want then nobody can have it (with regards to FTA ) . This is so last minute , I've got Fox so I'm sweet ...but as every month approaches on the RWC2015 I fear that a lack of imagination and commitment to programming is going to see another golden opportunity to grow the game and audience squandered yet again . Pulver received an "Edsel" from O'Neill in the ARU , maybe its time to change the model and look outside the square eg. a streaming partnerships overlay with someone like Google , Singtel Optus etc . The Foxtel relationship needs a jolt ...do they actually want the game to grow , or ... is it preferable for the media masters who own it ...prefer to keep Rugby as niche so their wider and deeper financial commitments to AFL & Rugby League etc flourish ?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Who hands out the rights / ownership of Wallaby Tests in the first place ? Surely there should be a home market clause for the visiting side if an original on sell or on broadcast cannot be consummated for the visiting sides market of origin ?
Firstly. This isn't a Wallaby test. The Wallabies are playing the English Rugby side in England. It's an English test against the wallabies. The RFU decide who the Television rights go to for their team in their country. The same as we do.

Why should there be a home market cause. Australian companies had the right to purchase the right to show this match. Foxtel stumped up. Channel ten didn't. That's how a free market works.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
They ensure that the FTA networks have first access to events.

It doesn't force them to buy the rights or show the matches.

And unfortunately, in the past, they have bought some rights and then decided not to show the event live anyway. Not sure that they can still do that, but wouldn't be surprised.

T

TOCC

It's outside of the test window, broadcast rights are sold separately

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Firstly. This isn't a Wallaby test. The Wallabies are playing the English Rugby side in England. It's an English test against the wallabies.
Of course it's a Wallabies test. Where do you think the name "Wallabies" was chosen? England, that's where.

It's the name of the touring side. The so-called Wallabies never even played on Australian soil until the 1980s. :)

The RFU decide who the Television rights go to for their team in their country. The same as we do.
Meh. Obtaining the rights is limited by law. This Test is still on the Commonwealth Government anti-syphoning list. Subscription TV is prohibited from acquiring the right to televise it unless:
  • the rights are held by commercial television licensees who have the right to televise the event to more than 50 per cent of the Australian population
  • the rights are held by either the ABC or SBS
  • national or commercial television broadcasters have not obtained these rights by 12 weeks before the start of the event
So the likely reason it's not on FTA is that FTA didn't want it 3+ months ago.

Notices & Notifications as amended, taking into account amendments up to Broadcasting Services (Events) Notice (No. 1) 2010 (Amendment No. 12 of 2014)

Rugby Union Football
6.1 Each international “test” match involving the senior Australian representative team selected by the Australian Rugby Union, played in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa or Europe, except for:
a) the match to be played in Wales on 8 November 2014 between the senior Australian representative team selected by the Australian Rugby Union and the senior Welsh team.
6.2 Each match in the quarter‑finals, semi‑finals and the final of the Rugby World Cup tournament.
6.3 Each match of the Rugby World Cup tournament involving the senior Australian representative team selected by the Australian Rugby Union.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
What did you actually say with all the crap you posted above?

Channel 10 didn't want to pay for the rights but Foxtel did.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
What did you actually say with all the crap you posted above?

Channel 10 didn't want to pay for the rights but Foxtel did.
I said that your earlier post was crap. ;)

The RFU can sell the rights but they don't control who is allowed to buy the rights and exercise the rights.

ACMA has control of that in Australia. It's not a "free market".

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I said that your earlier post was crap. ;)

The RFU can sell the rights but they don't control who is allowed to buy the rights and exercise the rights.

ACMA has control of that in Australia. It's not a "free market".

I think you're interpreting it incorrectly.

1. The English RFU own the rights to the broadcast. Other broadcasters are allowed to pay a fee to purchase either the TV pictures and provide their own commentary and pre and post game content or they can buy the official feed including the local commentators.

2. Channel 10 chose not to pursue either of these options.

3. The anti siphoning list is to ensure FTA can't be outbid by a pay TV provider for exclusive rights.

4. The ARU has nothing to do with any of this whatsoever.

I don't see what role ACMA would have in this. Forcing a FTA network to stump up the cash to show every item on the anti siphoning list?

T

TOCC

I believe Setanta actually own the international rights not the RFU.. I

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I think you're interpreting it incorrectly

1. The English RFU own the rights to the broadcast. Other broadcasters are allowed to pay a fee to purchase either the TV pictures and provide their own commentary and pre and post game content or they can buy the official feed including the local commentators.

2. Channel 10 chose not to pursue either of these options.

3. The anti siphoning list is to ensure FTA can't be outbid by a pay TV provider for exclusive rights.

4. The ARU has nothing to do with any of this whatsoever.
This list is a straw man as it doesn't refute my statement on ACMAs compliance control over the acquisition of the rights under the Broadcasting Services Act.
I don't see what role ACMA would have in this.
Forcing a FTA network to stump up the cash to show every item on the anti siphoning list?
ACMA's role is simply to monitor and control compliance with the 1992 Act. The point is this: The television rights are not just a matter that "the RFU decide". Sure, they can be the seller but there are also enacted prohibitions on acquiring those rights. -- Forcing FTA to stump up cash? - Erm, no.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This list is a straw man as it doesn't refute my statement on ACMAs compliance control over the acquisition of the rights under the Broadcasting Services Act.

ACMA's role is simply to monitor and control compliance with the 1992 Act. The point is this: The television rights are not just a matter that "the RFU decide". Sure, they can be the seller but there are also enacted prohibitions on acquiring those rights. -- Forcing FTA to stump up cash? - Erm, no.

Could you explain how ACMA could ensure this game is on FTA?

I'm not sure whether I am wrong or I am failing to understand the point you're making.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Suspect mostly the latter.

The anti-syphoning means it's not an open market for the rights. There's no good faith bid to acquire the FTA rights by a non-FTA provider. But either way, it ain't on TEN this weekend.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
What a fucking dark day for rugby when you can't watch the Wallabies play England on FTA. It just shows that Rugby isn't of national interest anymore.