• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

T

TOCC

a replayed super rugby match is never going to be broadcast in prime-time..

This whole Super Rugby presence on FTA is a very token gesture, it will rate low.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
At this stage I am just thankful that there will be an opportunity to watch a full replay and not a highlights package at a reasonable time on FTA. Hopefully if it rates well enough when the next broadcast negotiations happy we can get a Saturday night game, even if it is delayed to 1 hour post kickoff.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
At this stage I am just thankful that there will be an opportunity to watch a full replay and not a highlights package at a reasonable time on FTA. Hopefully if it rates well enough when the next broadcast negotiations happy we can get a Saturday night game, even if it is delayed to 1 hour post kickoff.

If a Saturday game is shown either live or slightly delayed it will have an impact on attendance.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
If a Saturday game is shown either live or slightly delayed it will have an impact on attendance.
Perhaps they could televise the Aust vs NZ teams played in NZ. Kick off at 5ish EST. Clashes with the news but could be on ONE.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

I seriously doubt there are many who wouldn't go to a live Saturday night game so as to watch it delayed on Sunday morning. More likely IMO that you'll pick up people surfing for something watchable & (we hope) deciding to take an interest in it, maybe go to a game.......... worked for Aussie league in NZ circa mid/ late-80's, ditto Aussie bounce- & dive-ball comps more recently. Could work for Aussie rugby in Straya, too, I reckon.

a replayed super rugby match is never going to be broadcast in prime-time..

This whole Super Rugby presence on FTA is a very token gesture, it will rate low.

Agree on all counts but, as above, there's a chance it gets a roll on & becomes something wonderful. A chance worth taking IMO & obviously one the suits at Fox & 10 are willing to give a burl.

OK, that's my boarding call. See y'all on the other side (of the dutch, bro :))

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Women's BBL had great ratings on the weekend. A-League appears to be down this year.
Big Bash is doing huge numbers so far. Every game averaging over 1 mill (Metro + regionals) apart from the blow out yesterday. Has really transformed summer TV.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Big Bash is doing huge numbers so far. Every game averaging over 1 mill (Metro + regionals) apart from the blow out yesterday. Has really transformed summer TV.

It's a simple game, anybody can understand it, the rules are clear, and there is plenty of action.

That's what the people want, folks.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Scheduled really well too. Having a game on every night on free to air while everyone is on holidays is really smart. It's really easy to watch your team play every matxh as well as all of the others if you want.

Big names that people know on the field as well.

Everything that we aren't able to do with the sanzar/euro money constraints :confused::mad:

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It's a simple game, anybody can understand it, the rules are clear, and there is plenty of action.

That's what the people want, folks.

People whinge about the amount of time it takes to set a scrum (with a collapse of two).

How much time is "lost" in cricket while the fielding team fart around getting the ball back to the bowler, who then walks leisurely back to the top of his mark, turns and then sprints in to the crease to unleash the next delivery?

A 140km/hr delivery covers the 22m (1 chain) length of the pitch in less than 1 second. There are 120 deliveries in an innings of T20. That is about 2 minutes of "action". The rest of a BBL game is tactics and strategy (scrum resets).

People can put the "downtime" aspects of Cricket into perspective, yet Fat Blokes farting about at scrum time is seen as being boring and time wasting in an 80 minute rugby contest.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
People can put the "downtime" aspects of Cricket into perspective, yet Fat Blokes farting about at scrum time is seen as being boring and time wasting in an 80 minute rugby contest.

To be scrupulously fair, though, Hugh, this is a thread about broadcasting. The time between deliveries is filled, to some extent entertainingly, by replays.

This can be entertaining.

However, the simple, sad, unpalatable, truth is that the BBL rates its little head off. Night after night after night.

We would kill to have a smidgeon of that success, and it behoves the rulers of our game to learn what can be learnt from the success of other sports.

There is little point expecting the average joe to be entertained by repeats of scrums, rolling mauls, and even the current shambles that often takes place at the breakdown. For starters, Joe Average does not have the slightest idea what the hell is going on.

In cricket it takes 5 minutes to understand the game and 5 games to understand the finer points.

T

TOCC

I have no idea what's going on in the NFL, doesn't stop that sport been popular..

If simplicity was the only requirement for entertainment then turn touch-footy into a professional game and watch it out rate all the other code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
However, the simple, sad, unpalatable, truth is that the BBL rates its little head off. Night after night after night.

Whether T20 will survive the longevity it needs to succeed remains to be unseen in my books. Sure it's 'fast and actioned' paced compared to the 50 and 5 day versions, but both the Aussie and IPL seem to be made up of teams of mercenaries.

Currently, players seem to be jumping from team to team, seeking the highest contract they get. As a result, the young kids don't have any player/s to connect with or follow as the following season they'll go from the Heat to the Stars.

I do also wonder whether the success of the T20 in Aus is a result of lack of competition. What other sports are being broadcast mid-week and in summer? Aussies realistically have nothing else to watch right now and will just flick the cricket on rather than watch another episode of RBT.

Compare that to our Winter sports and we're spoilt for choice. So it makes it harder for a team and sport to excel in that area because you need to pull the viewers in.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Complexities in a sport are an easy target for people who want to criticise something they don't like. I don't really think simplicity or complexity is what makes sport interesting or not.

As TOCC said, NFL is massive and it is an incredibly technical sport.

Cricket is pretty simple but I also don't think that is the basis for the mass appeal.

The fact that it is Australia's ubiquitous Summer sport is. Whilst people are raised on different football codes and will primarily support the codes they have played as a kid or support through their family, all of those people are likely to have played or followed cricket through the Summer.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Currently, players seem to be jumping from team to team, seeking the highest contract they get. As a result, the young kids don't have any player/s to connect with or follow as the following season they'll go from the Heat to the Stars.

In many ways I see this as a positive.

It makes it far easier to become interested in other teams because players you have become familiar with are playing across the competition.

It's not like entire teams are changing from year to year. It is at most a few players from each team that are now playing elsewhere.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
In many ways I see this as a positive.

It makes it far easier to become interested in other teams because players you have become familiar with are playing across the competition.

It's not like entire teams are changing from year to year. It is at most a few players from each team that are now playing elsewhere.
Decoupling the teams from the state colours does the same thing and has also worked well. People are watching the games whoever is playing, they are not just following "their" team.