• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Brumbies getting a lot of air time this year.........

The ACT Brumbies will become the first Super Rugby team to launch its own free-to-air television show next week as the club attempts to engage fans and boost its stagnated membership drive.

In a move designed to break into a new market that has eluded Australian rugby, the Brumbies have locked in a deal with Network Ten to have a weekly slot on One HD for the Super Rugby season.

The Brumbies will take over television next week, with three stations airing programs in the build-up to their round-one clash against the Wellington Hurricanes on February 26.

Stephanie Brantz has been recruited as the host of Brumbies TV, while Fox Sports will air The Code over four nights after coach Stephen Larkham opened the doors for behind-the-scenes access.

Brumbies star David Pocock will feature on a two-part Australian Story: True Grit series from Monday.

The Brumbies are one of the only professional sports team in Australia to have their own show on free-to-air television, joining some AFL clubs in stepping into new ground.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
More Brumbies TV

On Foxtel - 4 parts: The Code - Brumbies

Episode 1 is on Monday 22nd Feb 6-6.30pm Foxsports2 with the remaining 3 parts the following nights.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They did The Code with the Waratahs a couple of years ago. It wasn't bad.

I hope the new Brumbies TV show will be sponsored by Kingsleys Chicken.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Brumbies TV will bring all the latest news and views of the 2016 Asteron Life Super Rugby Competition exclusively to the ONE Channel across Brumbies territory (airing in Canberra, Wollongong, South Coast, Wagga Wagga, Orange, Dubbo and surrounds).
hmmm. Not as big a coup for the Brumbies as I first thought

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wouldn't make sense to air it outside of those markets..........

Still an impressive feat for an Aussie Super Rugby team to secure its own dedicated weekly FTA TV program.

T

TOCC

Channel 10 will launch a HD simulcast of their primary channel this year, by law they are required to broadcast their primary channel in SD, so if they want to broadcast in HD they need to simulcast it on a multi-channel. So Wallaby Test matches will be available in HD on FTA in 2016.

T

TOCC

They have to be on ten. Anti-siphoning legislation

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

This changed around 5 years ago, they can now be broadcast on multi-channels. In QLD and NSW they are usually on Ten, but in other states Wallaby test match have at times been shifted to One.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
This changed around 5 years ago, they can now be broadcast on multi-channels. In QLD and NSW they are usually on Ten, but in other states Wallaby test match have at times been shifted to One.
Direct from the acma website.....
http://www.acma.gov.au/Industry/Bro...ort-anti-siphoning-tv-content-regulation-acma

Under the current anti-siphoning scheme:

free-to-air TV broadcasters are not permitted to premiere events on the anti-siphoning liston their digital multi-channels.

listed events may be simulcast or repeated on the free-to-air TV broadcaster’s digital multi-channels, but cannot be shown first on the digital multi-channel.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

I remember framework was put in place over the anti siphoning legislation where sports were broken down into Tier A and Tier B. Most rugby union matches besides the RWC GF fell into Tier B. This would allow multi channel broadcast etc.

But it required a bill amendment been put forward through the federal government to lock in the changes, I'm not sure what happened with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
AFAIK, the Ten network will introduce an MPEG-4 HD channel, on channel 13, to simulcast their main channel (similar to 9HD).

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I remember framework was put in place over the anti siphoning legislation where sports were broken down into Tier A and Tier B. Most rugby union matches besides the RWC GF fell into Tier B. This would allow multi channel broadcast etc.

But it required a bill amendment been put forward through the federal government to lock in the changes, I'm not sure what happened with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was introduced by labor (Conroy) before the last election but then never debated in the Senate.

This government haven't shown any interest.

So no tiers (yet?)

T

TOCC

The tiers were brought in and did exist, although they are essentially meaninglessness until the bill is amended, which i had assumed was going to happen since it had the backing of almost everyone in the industry, but there you go..

I still think FTA broadcasters are allowed to apply to have the Wallabies simulcast on their multi-channel and have done so in the past in Melbourne, but its specific to each match and isn't an easy process.

mjscandrett

Frank Row (1)
Not sure if this has been covered in here but the foxsports.com.au digital pass that was needed for the nrc also includes replays (not live) of all super rugby games on demand. For $50 a year it looks to be great value. No chromecast support but can be watched on a mobile device or apple tv

Sent from my SM-P350 using Tapatalk

mjscandrett

Frank Row (1)
Not sure if this has been covered in here but the foxsports.com.au digital pass that was needed for the nrc also includes replays (not live) of all super rugby games on demand. For $50 a year it looks to be great value. No chromecast support but can be watched on a mobile device or apple tv

Actually there is no native chromecast but you can screen cast from your device to the chromecast and it works ok. Just tested it with cheetahs game.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
What's going on with game that is meant to be on channel 10 of a Sunday morning? As far as i can see they are still only showing Super Rugby Extra Time.