• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

T

TOCC

World Rugby own the rights and sell them onto the broadcaster, I guess one way for it to get in FTA would be for the ARU to put forward a case arguing the overall commercial interests of the tournament would increase if it were available to a wider audience... But, I suspect world rugby might be fixated on the immediate dollars offered by the broadcast rights..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I note that many committed rugby followers here bemoan the fact that Super Rugby isn't on FTA and then mention that they don't have Foxtel. Perhaps if a whole lot more people subscribed, it might make the FTA channels more interested?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Fox buying the rights is great for World Rugby. They'd sell all 10 tournaments as a package, and Fox do the filming and commentary for the local event, as well as providing Greg Clarke for a couple of additional tournaments. It'd be a very difficult proposition to sell the local tournament as a standalone event to FTA broadcasters, as they'd likely be losing money on two fronts, as they'd fetch less for the Aussie Sevens as a standalone event, and without the local tournament as the jewel in the crown, they'd likely lose Fox cash for the remaining tournaments as well.

Bit like how people complain about Game of Thrones being exclusively available on Foxtel. Yes, HBO could likely make more money/reach a greater audience/whatever by allowing non - exclusive broadcast, or having their own streaming service/selling the streaming to a Stan/Netflix/Presto or making it a buy the episodes on iTunes deally. But ultimately, selling exclusive rights to Foxtel gives them a lot of money, in a lump sum, and now. Those are very powerful motivators, and a lot of administrators, rightly or wrongly, think that they can do much more with a predictable sum of money in the immediate term than a potentially larger one across a longer period of time.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fox barely even show every game live for the other series anyway. Usually only show the final day and on the red button (non-HD) for the America and Europe series. I think the ratings outside Aus and NZ tournaments and maybe HK are very poor.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I note that many committed rugby followers here bemoan the fact that Super Rugby isn't on FTA and then mention that they don't have Foxtel. Perhaps if a whole lot more people subscribed, it might make the FTA channels more interested?

My parants cant afford Foxtel and I cant afford it twice.

The digital world is getting expensive. Foxtel + Netflix + Stan etc etc. very low likelihood that I would I would be a customer if they didnt have the rugby. Why cant The Franchises or national unions arrange a direct streaming service?

Its also annoying they they are not broadcasting the trials (so much for "need more content") and games like the NRC Barbarians.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Fox is a bloody rip off. I've got the basic package this year, the first time in ages I've had it, and it's crap. Will be good once Super Rugby starts but for $50 a month I expect more than Geordie Shore and Seinfeld.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Be warned, IQ boxes are pretty temperamental. We have gone through a couple, and there is no way to transfer the games you have "archived" on the old IQ box, to the new IQ Box.

There probably is a way to save the games on an external hard drive or a PVR or something but I haven't had the time nor the technical nous to work it out yet.

T

TOCC

Fox is a bloody rip off. I've got the basic package this year, the first time in ages I've had it, and it's crap. Will be good once Super Rugby starts but for $50 a month I expect more than Geordie Shore and Seinfeld.

The only good thing besides the sport is Discovery channel...

I've had my eyes opened to the Klondike Gold Rush and living in the Alaskan wilderness..

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I only have Foxtel Go for the Entertainment package so I can watch HBO programs..............

Overall the service is overpriced considering it's SD quality at best, and it's buggy as hell and crashes out regularly (you can't cycle through the menu too quickly without having to reboot the Playstation)..............

It's a far inferior service to Netflix, Stan and Presto, but it has the new HBO programming.............

Thankfully Showtime have made a deal with Stan................

As for rugby - 2016 is the year of VPN and dodgy steams for me.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
For all the criticisms of Foxtel (Foxsports) and the other big players (I will say most is justified, especially about the price!) the environment they operate in can be bloody difficult and at times ridiculous.

I have been reading with interest about the NHRA (American Drag Racing) who this year though that cutting the ties with ESPN (which cuts the Foxtel feed) and doing in-house production to on sell to the FoxSport US / Canada would be a great idea. The theory is more control, more exposure / content, and ultimately more $$$.

The issue that has surfaced is with the start of the season this weekend, the usual "global" audience has been reduced to only the US and Canada, Cutting the ties with ESPN cut all the international rights and deals and they are yet to get to the negotiating table.

So its a total blackout for those outside of the US / Canada until they (the company just appointed) can negotiate new contracts in each region.

For Foxtel (Foxsports) in response to the customer backlash of no NHRA (the bring back the NHRA face book page has 3000+ Foxtel subscribers), have explained that they are stuck waiting for negotiations to open. In the mean time the NHRA are promoting a new streaming service that will be coming but cant say about geoblocking etc and the price is very steep at USD$99 a year.

Its a good example of what all sport need to consider when thinking telecast rights and the pro's and con's. The implications on sponsorship (reduced TV) are yet to be mentioned but I would think there will be some fallout.

The other side of this is the challenge to us the the consumer - pay the "Foxtel" price or pay for each streaming service?

I believe it may provide some insight as to why Pulver wanted Fox Sports to telecast the NRC and not go near digital rights atm.

http://www.nhra.com/story/2016/2/5/nhra-announces-two-new-programs/

T

TOCC

FREE-TO-AIR RUGBY

NETWORK Ten will announce their schedule of their televised Super Rugby games - the first time in history a full replay is on Australian free-to-air TV.

Ten will screen games on ONE on Sunday mornings at 8am, and also have a highlights program on Monday nights.

They’ll start in round 1 with the Waratahs v Reds on Sunday 28 Feb. The remainder of the first eight rounds will be: Round 2 - Brumbies v Waratahs, Round 3 - Force v Brumbies, Round 4 - Waratahs v Highlanders, Round 5 - Rebels v Highlanders, Round 6 - Brumbies v Chiefs, Round 7 - Reds v Highlanders and Round 8 - Waratahs v Brumbies

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n/news-story/b84ac5034df985ee76321703fa3bab21

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
What can we do to get the viewing numbers up? Does recording the broadcast show up in the audience figures?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
What can we do to get the viewing numbers up? Does recording the broadcast show up in the audience figures?
Unless you have an oztam box, there's nothing you can directly do.

If you do have one, watching a recording the same day will count towards that days figures.