• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Streaming is all well and good, and I do do use it for the NRC and some cycling events etc, but I think there has to be a big change in the way internet services are provided in this country before it will be very widespread. The way I understand things worldwide, we are one of the few countries that have restrictive limits put on our costly internet packages, while we also all know the issues associated with slow access speeds.

The ISPs in this country need to wake up and give us the types of service that is provided in other developed western countries (USA in other words).

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Streaming is all well and good, and I do do use it for the NRC and some cycling events etc, but I think there has to be a big change in the way internet services are provided in this country before it will be very widespread. The way I understand things worldwide, we are one of the few countries that have restrictive limits put on our costly internet packages, while we also all know the issues associated with slow access speeds.

The ISPs in this country need to wake up and give us the types of service that is provided in other developed western countries (USA in other words).

Unlimited broadband is offered by everyone now and it isn't that expensive in Australia anymore. I pay $60 per month with TPG for unlimited. And there are a bunch of ISP's charging around the same price, some are even a fair bit cheaper like Dodo.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The unlimited broadband is still Horseshit.

They're still almost all 50-200GB at proper speeds, then drop down to 256kbps or less for the remainder of the billing period.

That's before the fact that Australian internet is awful and neither the Coalition nor Labor is willing to do anything to fix it.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well that's not the case at least with TPG, and a quick look at some other cheaper ISP's seems to suggest unlimited means unlimited (they have other plans for 50-200GB where it drops down to 256kbps after you pass the limit). Maybe that's not the case with the likes of Telstra, but that's why people should look at other options.

Agreed that Australian internet is 2nd rate, though I think the NBN is improving things a lot, even if it isn't as good as it might have been. You can find pretty reasonable plans for 25Mbps and unlimited data, and even around $100 per month for 100Mbps.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The unlimited broadband is still Horseshit.

They're still almost all 50-200GB at proper speeds, then drop down to 256kbps or less for the remainder of the billing period.

That's before the fact that Australian internet is awful and neither the Coalition nor Labor is willing to do anything to fix it.

I have Dodo and their service is great. Unlimited is unlimited with them. Often streaming from different sites at once no problem.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
An interesting article on the growth of live streaming in Oz sport.

Live streaming changing Australian sports fans' viewing habits - ABC News
https://apple.news/AFif_S_6XTGeInu5alcoTYw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its interesting that the key takeaway from the article (which originates from Apple TV ironically) is its its the best option for niche sports who have limited mainstream appeal and don't need (cant get) TV dollars.

The latest FFA deal also supports the theory the live streaming is not a good option.

I find it fascinating that in the US, the Twitter experiment with live NFL is yielding some very interesting results. So the research apparently claims many are moving away from pay TV looking for free or low cost options like Twitter. Blew my mind when I saw the rating figures noting its a US audience so we are taking millions, and the figures came back in the hundreds of thousands (less than 400k IIRC) only with a qualifier of "äs long as a viewer was online for 3 seconds" it counted towards the rating figure". Ratings data has been limited since.

Here is some reporting from an media and sporting expert on the streaming v PayTV debate:

been greatly enjoying the boofball season. way more than the rugby EOYT bullshit. At least I can just sit down and turn on the cable channel and hello, there it fucking is. No hunching over the laptop frantically chasing jumpy internet streams. And even then just seeing bits of NZ having a lovely corporate junket with some of that pesky distracting "rugby" on the weekends, culminating in a rugby world cup poolgamesque showing vs France where they just decided to kick everything away for fear of showing their precious cards too early before their next test vs the Lions. Might just skip the whole fuckin charade next season. Fuck 'em.

Yep, just turn on the Sunday Night Football here on unemployed Monday mornings, then tune in for the Wed night game too. Havent read a single thing about the season, no hype, just the biff.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Quick look at A-League v Super Rugby on Foxtel, with all the usual disclaimers around both sets of numbers. This is a sum of the ratings for each round

b815f400bd52cf4fba5a07a3fc30184d.jpg

Good start to the year for the FFA but they must be pretty disappointed with the drop off once the cricket starts.

They face the same issues the ARU do when NRL & AFL get going.

And that's probably reflected in their TV deal.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Strewth

Been thinking about your post and not sure. The A-League is difficult to fully gauge until the season is over the BB hurts them a lot but when its over they tend to recover a tad. We are still only 15 rounds into a 27 round competition.

I actually got caught up in all the hype around their media deal with Fox and the lead up to it hoping we could benefit. However all it showed was how dam hard the media is on unproven products. Especially outside AFL and NRL.

Looking at the Wookie site the A-League has produced after 15 rounds 12 A-league matches over 100K and 6 over 90 K, with the FFA cup final over 100 k. They expect over the 27 rounds to have over 20 games over 100k and 9 over 90 K. At the same time each week. Meaning on a commercial FTA 350 to 450 K on a Saturday night, which on most Saturday nights would put them in the top 12 shows.

We can only dream of this in SANDZZAR with maybe 5 teams. I no longer think I have the answer as with 10 0r 12 teams it looks like FFA will struggle to get 80 million. However they have managed to get their league to the point when the FTA’s will want their broadcast. The belief is from the Saturday night match of the week they can offer the FTA a weekly game that will get an audience. Meaning the next media deal FFA will have a proven product, well that’s what they hope.

I look at our scheduling, the so few Australian teams, and wonder where we will end up.

The BB has taken all before it and I do wonder if CA decide to expand it to a much longer competition and how if that happen how it would affect other sports if say they played into March.

Add in February the Netball and AFL womens start as well.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Bad news for Uncle Rupert

News Corp posts second quarter loss citing Australian newspaper impairments

The struggling empire reported a loss from continuing operations of $US219 million ($287 million) compared to a profit of $US106 million in the prior year.

News Corporation also reported a changing in the carrying value of its Australian cable television operation Foxtel, where net income decreased from $US52 million to $US24 million.
I wonder what the plan is in the ARU risk register if Foxtel stops being the cash cow?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Free to air channels continue to struggle after sevens profit downgrade last month
Channel Ten results bloodbath

Really hard to see what their play is here. They can't afford to spend big on sport, but they can't afford not to either.

go beyond just cuts to the licence fees — total abolition would not be a surprise ....... on the basis that the free-to-air TV sector is dying.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
So somebody correct me if I am wrong but, it seems the rugby show they have on Foxtel this year is called Super Rugby Kick & Chase and the first episode is broadcast at 6am next Wednesday ???

They don't appear to think rugby is at all popular. But then, looking at the lineup for the show I wonder if it's worth watching anyway.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Free to air channels continue to struggle after sevens profit downgrade last month
Channel Ten results bloodbath

Really hard to see what their play is here. They can't afford to spend big on sport, but they can't afford not to either.
Good.

Australian FTA is awful at the best of times, and that sentiment extends to Cinemas too.

Much of Foxtel is overpriced trash, but at least there's not excessive ads, the majority of it's available in HD, and you get virtually anything they've got the rights to somewhere between same time and within 24 hours after US/UK broadcast, rather than the shite that they try to shove down our throats like Planet Earth 2.