• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The benefit you can potentially get from a Facebook broadcast is that other people see that someone is watching something and it may convince them to have a look.

The numbers show though that the audience that tunes in that way is likely to stick around for only a very small amount of time.

Clearly we are getting more and more rugby games streamed live (whether through Bar TV, on the Foxsports or ARU website or through the Reds website etc.).

Trying to harness your current viewers through social media so that their friends/followers might also tune in is probably the next step. I wonder whether there is a way to do it outside of Facebook (without someone doing it off their own bat like posting a tweet or facebook message encouraging others to watch).

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It wouldn't matter if we were on FTA or not. If super rugby was on a Friday night, directly against the NRL and AFL we would get demolished, so personally i'd rather take the money from a premium product. Leaving could do more damage th

The biggest issue Aus Rugby has is perception, we are losing the battle with the average Aussie who is either brainwashed in the AFL is the greatest game of all and that both codes of rugby is simply fat blokes running into each other, or in the extreme cases thinks both codes are actually one code of bum sniffers. And a multitude of others thinks we are all a bunch of prissy private school boys not tough enough or skillful enough to play league. This is the battle. These people simply don't want to take the time to watch rugby as they have made their minds up without ever actually watching the game. Football suffered for years with similar stigmas and is only starting to get through it. The major facets that have helped their perceptions change a) globalization = football fans moving to Australia to educate, b) they dramatically changed the way things were done and aligned themselves with emerging markets (for this i believe we need to diversify out of Africa and either into our own prosperous market, Asia or ideally a bit of both). c) the Socceroos experienced on field success.

We need to make Rugby 'cool'.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
For rugby I see FB as having an advantage over many other codes. We all have friends in different parts of the world or expats we know OS.

We can share on FB with them games.

Interestingly NRC & SS matches play in Europe at an idea time for people having an early breakie. If saved even a late breakie as news of the score would hardly be on European media. NZ, and SP Islands we are in the same time zone as are with Japan and China [well roughly the same].

No idea on costings, but the FFV accordingly to the article are experiencing rapid growth year on year.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
According to Marinos Super Rugby is number one........

Many have suggested Super Rugby is no longer the pre-eminent competition it once was.

Marinos rejects those claims, pointing to metrics around scrum and lineout completions, tries off first phase, number of penalties and ball in play.

Last year points scored per match increased from 45.3 to 52.0 while tries were up 5.1 to 6.4 per match.

Most of all, Marinos is trumpeting a global audience he says hit 50 million in 2016.

"All of those numbers we are up on any other rugby competition in the world. And from a viewership perspective by some order of magnitude we dwarf what the other competitions are generating.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...per-rugby-it-is-still-the-premium-competition

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
No idea on costings, but the FFV accordingly to the article are experiencing rapid growth year on year.

You need to consider that those stories were basically press releases from the South Melbourne FFV team crying out to the FFA for expansion of the A-League (to include their team) and provide the funding benefits that come with it.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It wouldn't matter if we were on FTA or not. If super rugby was on a Friday night, directly against the NRL and AFL we would get demolished, so personally i'd rather take the money from a premium product. Leaving could do more damage th

The biggest issue Aus Rugby has is perception, we are losing the battle with the average Aussie who is either brainwashed in the AFL is the greatest game of all and that both codes of rugby is simply fat blokes running into each other, or in the extreme cases thinks both codes are actually one code of bum sniffers. And a multitude of others thinks we are all a bunch of prissy private school boys not tough enough or skillful enough to play league. This is the battle. These people simply don't want to take the time to watch rugby as they have made their minds up without ever actually watching the game. Football suffered for years with similar stigmas and is only starting to get through it. The major facets that have helped their perceptions change a) globalization = football fans moving to Australia to educate, b) they dramatically changed the way things were done and aligned themselves with emerging markets (for this i believe we need to diversify out of Africa and either into our own prosperous market, Asia or ideally a bit of both). c) the Socceroos experienced on field success.

We need to make Rugby 'cool'.

We need to target women and kids. More exposure and access for those two target ,arkets would help in turning the tide mpre in our favour.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The benefit you can potentially get from a Facebook broadcast is that other people see that someone is watching something and it may convince them to have a look.

The numbers show though that the audience that tunes in that way is likely to stick around for only a very small amount of time.

Clearly we are getting more and more rugby games streamed live (whether through Bar TV, on the Foxsports or ARU website or through the Reds website etc.).

Trying to harness your current viewers through social media so that their friends/followers might also tune in is probably the next step. I wonder whether there is a way to do it outside of Facebook (without someone doing it off their own bat like posting a tweet or facebook message encouraging others to watch).

Social media or broadcasting? In terms of broadcast a dedicated website could have an option where people can watch live and archived games as well as access highlights of the other games not broadcast.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Social media or broadcasting? In terms of broadcast a dedicated website could have an option where people can watch live and archived games as well as access highlights of the other games not broadcast.

I meant in terms of reach whilst you are watching.

I.e. if something is being broadcast through Facebook Live, it will pop up on people's news feeds that your friend is watching something and you might be encouraged to also do that.

If you're watching through a website or youtube then no one else will know about it (i.e. your existing viewers aren't automatically promoting it through their facebook feed to their friends just through the act of watching it).

I.e. when the two guys broadcast the Green v Mundine fight through Facebook Live, it ended up reaching hundreds of thousands of people who tuned in through network upon network of friend groups and facebook news feeds.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I meant in terms of reach whilst you are watching.

I.e. if something is being broadcast through Facebook Live, it will pop up on people's news feeds that your friend is watching something and you might be encouraged to also do that.

If you're watching through a website or youtube then no one else will know about it (i.e. your existing viewers aren't automatically promoting it through their facebook feed to their friends just through the act of watching it).

I.e. when the two guys broadcast the Green v Mundine fight through Facebook Live, it ended up reaching hundreds of thousands of people who tuned in through network upon network of friend groups and facebook news feeds.

Good question. I know you can integrate social media in broadcasts. So I'd imagine in theory you could. A first step I suppose would be using existing organisations such as the Tahs and have them push through notifications of games being broadcast.

To do it on an individual level would likely require some kind of log in. Which isn't impossible. Just have them log in quickly via a social media account in order to watch and then a notification could be sent. Most are interconnected these days anyway.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Good question. I know you can integrate social media in broadcasts. So I'd imagine in theory you could. A first step I suppose would be using existing organisations such as the Tahs and have them push through notifications of games being broadcast.

To do it on an individual level would likely require some kind of log in. Which isn't impossible. Just have them log in quickly via a social media account in order to watch and then a notification could be sent. Most are interconnected these days anyway.

What would be ideal is having a website where people can go and watch (and also watch replays, highlights etc.) but then also have the live video accessible through facebook.

There's only a limited benefit by the Tahs etc. putting up a post saying a game is on right now, here's the link because it only goes to those who already follow the page. If there's a live video in facebook then it starts appearing in the news feeds of all the people who are friends with people currently watching.

That is where you can spread your reach massively.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
What would be ideal is having a website where people can go and watch (and also watch replays, highlights etc.) but then also have the live video accessible through facebook.

There's only a limited benefit by the Tahs etc. putting up a post saying a game is on right now, here's the link because it only goes to those who already follow the page. If there's a live video in facebook then it starts appearing in the news feeds of all the people who are friends with people currently watching.

That is where you can spread your reach massively.

It could be done.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Plenty of good ideas being discussed. A lot of these are however a long way from being anywhere near as profitable as a Foxtel or FTA deal. There are many issues with Foxtel and I really do not understand the FTA criticism being leveled here when you compare the two. Has anyone complaining actually tried FTA recently? Lot's of HD content and the basic channels are at least as good content wise as the Foxtel offering. AND IT IS FREE.

For at least the next 2-3 agreements these may as well be the only players in town. Plenty of people have discussed pros and cons of each and I think FTA is a better option. Not perfect, but better.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Plenty of good ideas being discussed. A lot of these are however a long way from being anywhere near as profitable as a Foxtel or FTA deal. There are many issues with Foxtel and I really do not understand the FTA criticism being leveled here when you compare the two. Has anyone complaining actually tried FTA recently? Lot's of HD content and the basic channels are at least as good content wise as the Foxtel offering. AND IT IS FREE.

For at least the next 2-3 agreements these may as well be the only players in town. Plenty of people have discussed pros and cons of each and I think FTA is a better option. Not perfect, but better.

Depends. Advertisers pay for reach so in theory if done well the reach could be significantly higher via something like a fb broadcast. It's not something you could just jump straight into but it could be fostered.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
You need to consider that those stories were basically press releases from the South Melbourne FFV team crying out to the FFA for expansion of the A-League (to include their team) and provide the funding benefits that come with it.

I kinda knew that already.

My understanding from the article is the FFV broadcast their games via FB.

FFV are saying there ratings are growing.

FFV are at a third tier level competition not that dissimilar to our SS teams and the NRC.

I am also aware the FFNSW also broadcast their games no idea how they may also use FB.

My only point was this seems to be another streaming other than youtube to consider.

I have no idea of the costs involved but streaming across FB & youtube is becoming somewhat common.

As for the club concerned my understanding it was a major club before the A-League, with its own ground that keeps making lots of noise maybe like Eastwood.

Alex Sharpe

Chris McKivat (8)
Is there a rugby HQ or rugby 360 equivilant on fox this year? Being the week before super rugby kick off I would have thought it would be starting this week.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
^^^ Super Rugby Kick & Chase starts this wed 4:30pm Qld time, 5:30pm Noddy time, then goes to I think an hour later timeslot the following week.

However it appears to be more of your silly show rather then any serious discussion.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
YouTube have just announced the launch of YouTube TV. A subscription service that offer access to 40 channels for $35 a month. Likely restricted to the US market at present but YouTube has the ability to roll this out very quickly. Another very interesting new broadcast option.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Expect Telco's to become more active . Optus broadcast of the EPL to me has opened an opening for all sports.

Don't expect Telco's to put your interests at heart when it comes to broadcasting. Check out the new deal for AFL;

https://www.cnet.com/au/news/afl-live-app-small-screen-telstra-broadcast-rights/

AFL Live app users are limited to a screen size of 7 inches for every live match, even if they're streaming on a larger device

Foxtel holds TV broadcast rights for every match and Telstra retains rights for all hand-held devices, IPTV and the club digital network.

The iOS app has also blocked Airplay mirroring, so there's no streaming from your iPad to TV for the big-screen experience, which would put it firmly under the purview of Foxtel, who hold "big-screen" broadcast rights.