• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
Can someone with some knowledge explain to me the anti-syphoning laws in regards to our beloved game?

So in this instance, international games must be shared with a FTA channel but SOUP and a NRC would not need to be shared?

How does it all work??

Also I would love some of these rugby journalists to ask BP some hard questions regarding Free To Air so I can hear the words from his mouth that we are stuck on Foxtels nipples......

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Can someone with some knowledge explain to me the anti-syphoning laws in regards to our beloved game?

So in this instance, international games must be shared with a FTA channel but SOUP and a NRC would not need to be shared?

How does it all work??

Also I would love some of these rugby journalists to ask BP some hard questions regarding Free To Air so I can hear the words from his mouth that we are stuck on Foxtels nipples..

He's mentioned FTA previously.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

How does it all work??

The Minister has compiled an anti-siphoning list, rugby internationals are on the list. That means that, theoretically, they must be shown on FTA. However, in practice, because TEN decides not to show the rugby in non-rugby areas, Foxtel can show the internationals live, everywhere.

Super Rugby can never ever be on an anti-siphoning list. There are so many reasons why, time zones in particular, SANZAR's control over the schedule, a total lack of interest in games that do not involve Australian teams, and so on.

NRC would not be wanted by FTA, frankly. It would be disastrous if it was to be put on an anti-siphoning list. Why should it be, when the NRL and AFL competitions are not?

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
He does not strike me as being the sort of person who would speak without some sort of justification. I guess the only question is, how much will Fox Sports pay?

We can forget about FTA, although maybe a one hour FTA highlights package can be negotiated as part of the deal.

Pretty sure we paid about 80,000 for ABC to televise some of the games in the ARC. If we can get anything out of Fox, that would be better than last time.

If Fox were astute they might see that generating interest in Rugby on a FTA level might increase rugby followers and hopefully subscription numbers. If there were 8 teams, they could offer two of the weekend's games on FTA for a small amount (possibly very small) and build a fanbase from the bottom up. All this while not compromising their tight grip on Super Rugby.

Maybe when (if) the new competition establishes itself, FTA channels might come to the table with more interest.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Once the AFL and ARL get advanced into their finals there are a lot more slots available for other programming and this only gets worse when the finals are over. This is why the darts are getting a run, along with the bowls and netball.

If the timing of the new ARC ran from mid-August till say end of October (around 10 weeks), there would be plenty of opportunity to get either FTA or Fox coverage. Shute, JID and Premier to be started earlier. Have the big club grand finals scheduled for the second week of August and work back from there (3 weeks of finals only, with Super squad top 30 not available for club football once Super was over). Eight teams play each other once(7 rounds plus two/three weeks of finals). That would level the playing field and allow Super players not in the RC/EOYT, who should all be playing new-ARC, to have a few weeks of rest.

The only downside I see is that the Super pre-season for non-internationals would have to be shortened to allow a break between ARC and pre-season.

T

TOCC

The Minister has compiled an anti-siphoning list, rugby internationals are on the list. That means that, theoretically, they must be shown on FTA. However, in practice, because TEN decides not to show the rugby in non-rugby areas, Foxtel can show the internationals live, everywhere.

The anti siphoning laws just mean foxtel can't hold the rights exclusively, regardless of whether a FTA channel is broadcasting the match nationwide or not, Foxtel is still allowed to play the match live. A FTA channel can hold the rights exclusively but not the other way around.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think if anything we're in a better place to get an ARC screened on Free-to-air than we were when the original one ran.

There's at least twice as many FTA channels, surely there's more demand for content which means we could at least get a channel to screen it free (which would mean less profits from that avenue but perhaps could bring more sponsors to the table).

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Does anyone know how the FTA A-League soccer game on Friday nights is rating?

I know there are plenty of soccer people who think that FTA exposure of the A-League will send it into the next level of popularity - not unlike our thinking on rugby.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Thanks P. It will be interesting to see how that holds up as their season goes on. It might well be a cautionary tale for rugby - that FTA exposure is not necessarily the cure-all.

FTA have consistently ignored rugby below the test matches. FTA sucks and I wouldn't want to be depending on any of them to bring the game to TV. Fox are willing to pay for the privelage. This is the best opportunity the game has had to expand and develop and deserves all of our support.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The future for broadcasting is certainly not one broadcaster, or another.

Broadband will open things up dramatically. This is where Pulver's background and expertise should be invaluable.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The future for broadcasting is certainly not one broadcaster, or another.

Broadband will open things up dramatically. This is where Pulver's background and expertise should be invaluable.

I agree. But maybe not much chop for those with copper from the node to the home. Will it then cost us an extra 5 grand to get the broadband connected to the home? Much better value atm paying for the Fox Sports channels.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the likely NBN outcome is going to push back the opportunities sporting codes have of controlling their content through broadband subscriptions.

Once those options do become realistic, it will be interesting to see how it all works with anti-siphoning legislation. I would guess that eventually anti-siphoning legislation will disappear.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
The problem with any alternative means of showing rugby outside of Foxtel, be it FTA or broadband, is that it cuts the exclusive value of the programming for Foxtel. They are paying a premium for rugby because it drives subscriptions. If Foxtel stop paying that premium for exclusivity, it will take a lot of broadband subscriptions to make it up.

Do we know how many Fox Sports subscribers there are in Aust? It would be interesting to know how much money the ARU is getting per subscriber.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Well, yes, Rob. However, Fox will never show every game in the NRC, so maybe the ones they don't show could end up streamed on the internet.

I have no doubt that this will be the way of the future. It might work for us, I hope. It will certainly work for the AFL.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
The highest [for the A-league on SBS] has been 166k but it was hammered by the Ashes last Friday and dropped to 71k.

The Big Bash rated 1.1m last night on TEN , the A-league 74k on SBS. I'm afraid the A-league's time in the sun is over.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It would have been interesting to see the ratings of the Big Bash if the Ashes were lost. I think cricket is on the rise at the moment and the Big Bash is a great TV product.

I'd be interested in how the FTA for the T20 worked. Quite a bit of Fox talent involved. Do they produce it and on sell it to Ten?

As for broadband streaming of games I could see it as a foxtel product. Then it adds to the value of the package Foxtel pay for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Anyone know if they live stream super rugby on bet365.com?. I am not a gambler but would subscribe if it works out cheaper than subscribing to the streaming foxtel.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk