• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Anyone know if they live stream super rugby on bet365.com?. I am not a gambler but would subscribe if it works out cheaper than subscribing to the streaming foxtel.
Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk

Not where I am (Scotland) but its live on Sky here. I find bet365 generally show live streaming of some sporting matches if not on Sky etc at the same time but it has done so with Big Bash cricket though.

I do know live streaming on b365 are controlled by geographical factors i.e. it shows NRL in the UK but not in Australia where I come from.

I'd have known if Super Rugby is live streamed in Oz and if it was the case, every man and dog here would then be clients of b365 and do away with Fox Sport and bet with the money saved in doing so!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Not where I am (Scotland) but its live on Sky here. I find bet365 generally show live streaming of some sporting matches if not on Sky etc at the same time but it has done so with Big Bash cricket though.

I do know live streaming on b365 are controlled by geographical factors i.e. it shows NRL in the UK but not in Australia where I come from.

I'd have known if Super Rugby is live streamed in Oz and if it was the case, every man and dog here would then be clients of b365 and do away with Fox Sport and bet with the money saved in doing so!

Great idea. Do away with Fox Sports and their sponsorship of rugby.

See if you can spot the flaw in this great idea.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As for broadband streaming of games I could see it as a foxtel product. Then it adds to the value of the package Foxtel pay for.

Foxtel already stream their sports channels online via Foxtel Play.........

The beauty of this is you don't need to have Foxtel installed in your home and you only pay for the channel packages you want.........

T

TOCC

Foxtel already stream their sports channels online via Foxtel Play...

The beauty of this is you don't need to have Foxtel installed in your home and you only pay for the channel packages you want...

the minimum cost of getting the fox sports package on Foxtel Go is currently $50/month, for that much you might as well get Foxtel installed in your home and get the additional Foxtel Go for free $71/month.

Foxtel Go is good as an additional product, but the quality and reliability of service is a lot lower then the Foxtel cable service.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Apparently Maori TV (which is, I assume, a FTA channel) has done a deal with SKY to show Worriers games on their channel. So there is a precedent, of sorts, I guess, which the ARU might be able to squeeze something out of in future negotiation. Although the first step would be for a FTA channel to show some interest in televising the Soup, or at least an occasional match. Maybe Reds games in Queensland, Tahs in NSW, and so on.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
The ARU signed away the rights to broadcast Super and Wallaby games till the end of the 2015 season. So any chance of re-negotiating the airing of Super games on FTA won't happen until later this year.

I'd imagine the ARU may have some extra leverage this time round with the new Rugby Competition and who gets to air it. So fingers crossed we get some rugby on FTA in 2016 which would be a great year to show the games that the World Champions are playing in :)

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Two sporting comps have made the jump from Foxtel to FTA recently - the BBL and the A-League. I get the impression the ratings for the BBL have been reasonable, but the A-League on SBS has made little impact.

Hopefully Ch 10 have enjoyed having the BBL ratings, and figure they can make a go of the Super Rugby. Although first, Ch 10 would have to survive the year...

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Two sporting comps have made the jump from Foxtel to FTA recently - the BBL and the A-League. I get the impression the ratings for the BBL have been reasonable, but the A-League on SBS has made little impact.

Hopefully Ch 10 have enjoyed having the BBL ratings, and figure they can make a go of the Super Rugby. Although first, Ch 10 would have to survive the year.

The BBL ratings have been quite good from what I've read. Many are peaking in and around the 1 million mark which is a big boost for Ten.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
And had an impact on numbers for the Aust Open. They have been down below the figures from recent years.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have just been reading an article in an American magazine. A media expert predicts that in ten years' time ALL television will be delivered via the internet. This transition is actually already occurring, particularly in the US.

This is Pulver's area of expertise, I believe. Let's hope we can ride the wave.

T

TOCC

Broadband infrastructure in the US is currently ahead of Australia and the gap will only grow in the next 10 years with NBN cutbacks to be made, even when i was living over there 3 years ago i had friends who had HD quality subscriptions to NHL via IPTV, this wouldn't be possible in large parts of Austalia even today.

Furthermore moving to IPTV in the next 10 years doesn't solve the issue of Rugby Union been a niche/exclusive sport, arguably more-so then it is currently on Foxtel.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Broadband infrastructure in the US is currently ahead of Australia and the gap will only grow in the next 10 years with NBN cutbacks to be made, even when i was living over there 3 years ago i had friends who had HD quality subscriptions to NHL via IPTV, this wouldn't be possible in large parts of Austalia even today.

Furthermore moving to IPTV in the next 10 years doesn't solve the issue of Rugby Union been a niche/exclusive sport, arguably more-so then it is currently on Foxtel.

There is nothing we can do about rugby being a niche sport in Australia. That is a given. Our two major competitors can tweak their rule books to appeal to the local audience. We cannot.

The question is, can we use the inevitable changes in technology (which will happen to some extent, maybe the timescale will be elongated) to our advantage?

T

TOCC

There is nothing we can do about rugby being a niche sport in Australia. That is a given.

Niche sports don't attract 3.2million or even 500'000 for ratings... Get it on FTA and remove the exclusivity

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I gave in and got the online foxtel for $50 a month. I have to say I like it although the quality is not that good on the 55inch led TV.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
There is nothing we can do about rugby being a niche sport in Australia. That is a given. Our two major competitors can tweak their rule books to appeal to the local audience. We cannot.

The question is, can we use the inevitable changes in technology (which will happen to some extent, maybe the timescale will be elongated) to our advantage?
I think you are on the money there.
Rugby is best suited with the demographic of their supporter base,to follow the US model of an online subscription.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Frankly, only a rusted on life-long rugby supporter could have sat through that display last nights. Rolling mauls. That'll bring the crowds back.

The contrast between the NZ local derby and ours was painful.