• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spook

I would play Mafi at 11 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 12. Chapman doesn't start. Kimlin to 6, Timani in the locks with Jism. We need pace out wide hence Mafi.

Brumbies:

1. Ben Alexander
2. Stephen Moore
3. Guy Sheperdson
4. Mark Chisolm
5. Sitaleki Timani
6. Peter Kimlin
7. George Smith
8. Stephen Hoiles
9. Josh Holmes
10. Matt Giteau (possibly ???) /Christian Lealiifano
11. Alfi Mafi
12. Adam Ashley-Cooper
13. Stirling Mortlock
14. Clyde Rathbone
15. Mark Gerrard

16. Huia Edmonds / John Ulugua
17. Salesi Ma?afu
18. Mitchell Chapman
19. Julian Salvi
20. Matt To'omua /Christian Lealiifano
21. Francis Fanifo
22. Patrick Phibbs/Stannard

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I hope that for the Forces sake, and the 10's already there, that your speculation about Giteau is way off.

Not a bad looking team on paper. Good depth in the backs and if Holmes fulfils some of that promise it will be an exciting unit to watch.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Sitaleki Timani was impressive this year for the Barbarians vs the Reds. Everyone seems to be screaming out for big locks to come to the fore. Could he be the one in 2009?

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Is Kimlin a 6? I didnt think so. There is a little bit of competition there which is good. I can see your point with Mafi and after the BaaBaas game I like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 12. I initially had him at 12 but T. Smith impressed last year more than Mafi and so gets the starting spot on the basis that you pick your 7 best backs and then give them positions (to a degree).

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 12. I initially had him at 12 but T. Smith impressed last year more than Mafi and so gets the starting spot on the basis that you pick your 7 best backs and then give them positions

Cutter,
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) & Mortlock are the two best centres in the land so you play them as 12 & 13 which jersey they wear is Mortlocks choice as he is the senior player.

I'd move Smith to the bench & start Mafi, no use having AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the back 3 when he's the best defensive back in Australia.

My Brumbies 22
1.Alexander
2.Moore
3.Shepherdson
4.Chisolm
5.Kimlin
6.Chapman
7.George Smith
8.Salvi
9.Holmes
10.Lealifano
11.mafi
12.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
13. Mortlock
14.Rathbone
15.Gerrard

Res: Edmonds, Henderson, Hoiles, Timani, Phibbs, Tyrone Smith, Fanifo

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
disco said:
I like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 12. I initially had him at 12 but T. Smith impressed last year more than Mafi and so gets the starting spot on the basis that you pick your 7 best backs and then give them positions

Cutter,
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) & Mortlock are the two best centres in the land so you play them as 12 & 13 which jersey they wear is Mortlocks choice as he is the senior player.

I'd move Smith to the bench & start Mafi, no use having AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the back 3 when he's the best defensive back in Australia.

Not wedded to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the wing and Smith at 12 but I think it gives the B's better balance. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Mortlock are too similar to have in the centres unless AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) surprises me with his skillset. I hope he does because we need more depth at 12.

I disagree that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Mortlock are our best centres. They are probably our best 13s, but Giteau, Barnes and, when fit, Staniforth, are better 12s. Mortlock has shown us consistently that a good 13 doesnt make a good 12 and neither of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Mortlock would make the starting line up at 12 of any of the ABs (Nonu), SA (JdV), Wales (Henson), Ireland (Fitzgerald or D'Arcy), France (Traille or Baby) or Argentina (Contemponi). That isnt good enough for mine.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was brilliant in defence at 12 against the Barbarians, but one dominant defensive performance is not enough to establish him as our best defensive back. At 15 he was often hesitant and unsure whether to come up or stay back. I hope he turns the corner as a defender after that game, but to say he is our best defensive back is overstating things.

Is AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) our best tackler? Not sure I would agree with that either. He's good though and when he gets a hit on they stay hit. His defence against the Barbarians was very exciting and I hope we take that into every game next year.

S

Spook

Cutter said:
Is Kimlin a 6? I didnt think so.

Cutter, Kimlin is very quick. He was the quickest forward last year from memory in the Brumby squad. He can play number 8 as well.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was brilliant in defence at 12 against the Barbarians, but one dominant defensive performance is not enough to establish him as our best defensive back.

I'm not just saying that on the back of the Baa Baas game but you watch any game were AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is in the frontline especially in Melbourne 07 when he put the shackles on Rico Gear. He is a very safe defender

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That is good news for the ACT competition and I hope that everything works out. Having the best players in any comp, in any sport, improves it.

But there always another side to things. The play of youngsters will always improve more if they play in a higher standard comp. A player like young Matt To'omua would have learned more this year from playing for Eastern Suburbs in the Sydney comp than he would have playing in Canberra club rugby. About one week out of two he would have got a really tough game in 2008 and even some of the weaker teams jumped up and gave the Beasts a bit of cheek.

From a short term Brumbies perspective, as opposed to a long term ACT rugby perspective, I thought it was better that the Vikings should have continued to play in Sydney. IIRR NSW rugby kicked them out, which was a pity for both parties.

The Vikings improved the standard of the comp from a Sydney point of view, and the Brumbies were able to assess some of their fringe players in a reasonably high level of footie against the better Sydney teams, from their point of view.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Lee Grant said:
From a short term Brumbies perspective, as opposed to a long term ACT rugby perspective, I thought it was better that the Vikings should have continued to play in Sydney. IIRR NSW rugby kicked them out, which was a pity for both parties.

They kicked them out. Twice ! The first time the Sydney clubs cracked the shits cause the Vikings carved up and won everything in sight (this is back when Joe Roff was their fullback). 2nd time round was because the toff clubs didn't like the travel. I think there was a legitimate excuse in that the Vikings only fielded 2 grades, so the lower graders and colts basically had a bye.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That's right, and during the second coming the NSW alickadoos realised they didn't want to give the Brumbies A team, in effect, a leg up.

S

Spook

It'll be interesting. Maybe the ACT comp will become tougher. Fewer teams with more quality. NSWRU can get stuffed 8)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
and the strength of the respective club competitions just became a whole lot more important, considering the Pacific Nations pull out.

The Clubs should be happy, better players available more often.

S

Spook

If we had the ARC this wouldn't be an issue. :'(

By the way, the Viking club in Canberra is a very well run organisation. They consistently make a profit.

It'll be interesting to see how Victorian, ACT and Southern NSW club rugby combines together in the future. I think a decent comp could be formed.

S

Spook

Nabbed this from planetrugby:

Interesting to hear that Andrew Fagan ( CEO of the Brumbies and ACT Rugby) wants a Melbourne team in the ACT Comp as part of their MOU

He Reckons it will cost about $400,000 to run the team and the VRU have $300,000 already!

It will be good for Vic Rugby , as it will bind the juniors thy have moving into Super Rugby in 2012

From their website , they have just signed a deal with BANKWEST to fund their HP and COE

http://www.vicrugby.com.au

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Spook said:
Nabbed this from planetrugby:

Interesting to hear that Andrew Fagan ( CEO of the Brumbies and ACT Rugby) wants a Melbourne team in the ACT Comp as part of their MOU

He Reckons it will cost about $400,000 to run the team and the VRU have $300,000 already!

It will be good for Vic Rugby , as it will bind the juniors thy have moving into Super Rugby in 2012

From their website , they have just signed a deal with BANKWEST to fund their HP and COE

http://www.vicrugby.com.au

$400k per annum? That $300k will be good for the first year then.

S

Spook

Been following the press on the Brumbies. Rumour has it Morty will relinquish captaincy to Smith. More rumour has him playing 12 with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13. Kimlin wants to play in the backrow at 6. I think this is a good positition for him with Timani and Chisolm forming the locks.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Spook said:
Been following the press on the Brumbies. Rumour has it Morty will relinquish captaincy to Smith. More rumour has him playing 12 with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13. Kimlin wants to play in the backrow at 6. I think this is a good positition for him with Timani and Chisolm forming the locks.

Mitch Chapman riding the pine?

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
More rumour has him playing 12 with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13. Kimlin wants to play in the backrow at 6. I think this is a good positition for him with Timani and Chisolm forming the locks.

Good news for the Wallabies also, after watching the 2008 super 14 replays on fox the more I have liked watching Tom Hockings play so Kimlin playing at 6 will put pressure on MMM,Mumm & Elsom when he returns.

Mortlock moving into 12 is fine with me has I am half expecting him to retire at the end of the year & I don't want to see Ryan Cross as our 1st choice outside centre when we have AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

Status
Not open for further replies.