• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spook

I've always thought Fanifo lacked pace. He could be a good centre as I think he's a clever player and he has size. It's a shame Mafi is injured.

According to the Brumbies, Rattles is still the fastest player in the squad - faster than Mafi and Holmes who were fastest at the Tahs from memory. He's probably lacks fitness though.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is pretty quick IMO. I've seen him do some quick players for pace - some notable tries in the S14 a few years back.

I never liked the idea of Hoiles as captain. On the one hand Friend is having a go at his forwards for lacking physicality, and then appoints Hoiles at captain. Talk about mixed messages ??? :angryfire:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I see Huia Edmonds has re-signed for 2 years (taking him through to 2011).

Ummm...good I guess..how do people think he has been playing?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
What the hell, did Spook delete again?!

Haven't seen any of Edmonds really, most of the Brumbies I have seen has had Moore getting 75 - 80 minutes or whatever. Hope for the Brumbies sake that Moore stays fit.

T

TOCC

Edmonds?

im sorrry but thats seems a waste to me, whilst you have someone like Moore in your team, i believe they should have signed a young and upcoming hooker to learn his trade off Moore..

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
TOCC said:
Edmonds? im sorry but that seems a waste to me, whilst you have someone like Moore in your team, i believe they should have signed a young and upcoming hooker to learn his trade off Moore..

Yer right there, TOCC. Edmonds has had enough chances to nail down a starting spot at the Tahs and Stormers before ending up at the Brumbies. However, keep in mind there is a role for old lags such as Huia when the first choice player goes down with injury and the upcomer isn't up to starting. Look at the Tahs prop stocks this year; what we'd do for a Huia or two hanging about.

This is one thing NZ do well. After the Super sides select their core 20 (or whatever) players from their feeder unions the NZRFU fill up the remainder of the squads according to need and opportunity in an attempt to stop stockpiling and ensure available talent gets a start. In an ideal world what they want to end up with is an experienced first choice player in every position in all five Super squads with a young talent as his backup. Seems to've worked well for the last 13 years.

T

TOCC

yeah i suppose its a fine line you need to tread between potential and experience

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Strange when a decent young hooker in Nathan Charles is going to be held back by a plodder like Edmonds.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Don't the Oz Super teams have three hookers each? If they don't they should.

It'd be good to see Freier and Dunning head to the Force next year to shore up their front row. This experience is wasted on the Tahs' bench. A move like this would also give young blokes like Palmer and Fitzpatrick more game time to develop.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Lindommer said:

It'd be good to see Freier and Dunning head to the Force next year to shore up their front row. This experience is wasted on the Tahs' bench. A move like this would also give young blokes like Palmer and Fitzpatrick more game time to develop.

That's exactly the kind of move I've been advocating for a while now. Both of those guys are also real Wallaby contenders, and thus are wasted on the bench when they could be providing real leadership and experience at a team like the Force, who desperately need it in the front row.

Wouldn't mind seeing Byrnes some place where he could get more game time as well.

F

formeropenside

Ash - that could even be next year at the Reds, perhaps. Van is 32 or something like that: when age catches up with you, it tends to happen in a hurry.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Ash said:
Lindommer said:

That's exactly the kind of move I've been advocating for a while now. Both of those guys are also real Wallaby contenders, and thus are wasted on the bench when they could be providing real leadership and experience at a team like the Force, who desperately need it in the front row.

Wouldn't mind seeing Byrnes some place where he could get more game time as well.

Yep

Dunning has been whining about contract negotiations with the ARU, why aren't the Force spending some of the Gits funds?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
This is digressing from the Brumbies thread and should be moved to a Force thread, but news today that the Force indeed are chasing Dunning.

New South Wales Waratahs prop Matt Dunning, meanwhile, is weighing up his future after meeting Western Force chief executive Greg Harris in Sydney on Tuesday.

The Force has targeted the 44-Test veteran to be the pillar of its scrum next season once its marquee player, Ben Castle, moves on to a contract in Europe.

"I'm happy at NSW and they've been good to me but there's definitely an opportunity at the Force," said Dunning.

S

Spook

Ash said:
What the hell, did Spook delete again?!

Haven't seen any of Edmonds really, most of the Brumbies I have seen has had Moore getting 75 - 80 minutes or whatever. Hope for the Brumbies sake that Moore stays fit.

Nah still here :D Edmonds must be very cheap

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tyrone re-signs

CA Brumbies centre Tyrone Smith has re-signed with the CA Brumbies for another two seasons.

Smith, younger brother of Wallabies flanker George Smith, joined the CA Brumbies from UK Super League club, Harlequins RL, for the 2008 season when he went on to play in every match before being named Australian Rookie of the Year. This season he has played in all ten matches for the CA Brumbies, starting in seven at both inside and outside centre.

The 25-year-old, who will start at outside centre against the Reds on Saturday, says he?s pleased to remain with the CA Brumbies.

?I?ve really enjoyed my first two years at the Brumbies and I?m really looking forward to staying on until 2011,? he said. ?The reason I came to the Brumbies was the chance to play with George at a club that would develop my game and play a good style of rugby.

?[My fianc?e] Kristin and I love living in Canberra and it?s somewhere I know I can get the most out of my rugby.?

Smith represented Canberra?s St Edmund?s College and the Australian Schoolboys in rugby before linking with the Sydney Roosters in 2002. After two seasons with the Roosters, Smith joined the London Broncos (now Harlequins RL) before returning to Canberra for the 2008 season.

CA Brumbies Head Coach Andy Friend says Smith is a valued member of the CA Brumbies? midfield.

?Tyrone?s a very composed footballer who?s made a seamless transition back to rugby union after a number of years playing league,? he said. ?He?s a powerful, robust and versatile centre who has good pace, great footwork and is defensively very sound.

?Given we want to play a direct but exciting brand of rugby, Tyrone fits the bill perfectly and we?re happy to have him on board for another two seasons.?

Brumbies Rugby CEO Andrew Fagan says Smith has established himself as a key figure in the CA Brumbies squad.

?Tyrone?s been one of the stars in the CA Brumbies backline over the past two seasons,? he said. ?His development has been assisted by having players like Stirling Mortlock and Adam Ashley-Cooper around him and he?s now become one of the most elusive and dangerous centres in Australian rugby.

?Like George, he?s an extremely consistent and durable footballer and there?s no question he has a lot to offer the side over the next two years.?

Status
Not open for further replies.