• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spook

Brumbies have full 2009 squad player profiles available.

Stephen_Moore.jpg

F

formeropenside

Spook said:
Brumbies have full 2009 squad player profiles available.

Stephen_Moore.jpg

Is it just me, or is Moore looking a little embarrassed in that Brumbies jersey?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think its another of those white flower (?) ads where they had Canno in an All Black jersey and Gordie Tallis in a NSW one.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Anyone who says he is moving from the Reds to the Brumbies to develop as a forward should be embarrassed

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Spook said:
fatprop said:
Noddy said:
From the Brumbies page.

2009 CA Brumbies Squad (By Position)
Prop - Ben Alexander*, Nic Henderson*, Salesi Ma'afu, Guy Shepherdson*, John Ulugia
Hooker - Huia Edmonds, Stephen Moore*
Lock - Mark Chisholm*, Ben Hand, Peter Kimlin, Shawn Mackay,
Back row - Mitchell Chapman, Stephen Hoiles*, Julian Salvi, George Smith*, Sitaleki Timani
Scrumhalf - Joshua Holmes, Patrick Phibbs, James Stannard
Flyhalf - Christian Lealiifano, Matt To'omua
Wing - Francis Fainifo, Mark Gerrard*, Alfi Mafi, Clyde Rathbone*
Centre - Gene Fairbanks, Stirling Mortlock*, Tyrone Smith, Afusipa Taumoepeau
Fullback - Adam Ashley-Cooper*, Peter Betham

* denotes Wallaby

That's still only 31 by my rushed count. Timani with the backrowers, Kimlin not. Gerrard with the wingers.

It is a pretty strong squad except for the most important spot - 10.

I would say the same about the Tahs - in fact I've said that for a very long time ;D

Yeah but our kid lead us to the final last year and showed how important he was to the side

S

Spook

fatprop said:
Spook said:
fatprop said:
Noddy said:
From the Brumbies page.

Prop - Ben Alexander*, Nic Henderson*, Salesi Ma'afu, Guy Shepherdson*, John Ulugia
Back row - Mitchell Chapman, Stephen Hoiles*, Julian Salvi, George Smith*, Sitaleki Timani

* denotes Wallaby

That's still only 31 by my rushed count. Timani with the backrowers, Kimlin not. Gerrard with the wingers.

I would say the same about the Tahs - in fact I've said that for a very long time ;D

Yeah but our kid lead us to the final last year and showed how important he was to the side

I think you give him far too much credit and not enough to the Tah forwards. Still he has youth on his side as do the other 10s running around for QLD and Brums.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Spook said:
fatprop said:
Spook said:
fatprop said:
Noddy said:
From the Brumbies page.

* denotes Wallaby

I think you give him far too much credit and not enough to the Tah forwards. Still he has youth on his side as do the other 10s running around for QLD and Brums.

Oh I respect the Tahs pigs, but the prime example of Beale's importance was when he went off in the final, we were screwed from then on. We went from holding on by our finger tips to no chance

S

Spook

Andy Friend intends to play AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13. He has been quoted as saying he could be a world class 13 and has also indicated Morty to 12.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I guess it's good news for the Brumbies, but I would have like to have seen T. Smith a little more this season.

S

Spook

Very interesting. To'omua's game management is highly rated.

To'omua may muscle way into No 10
BY PETER FITZGERALD
RUGBY UNION

21/01/2009 1:00:00 AM
ACT Brumbies coach Andy Friend is considering a major selection shock, labelling rookie flyhalf Matt To'omua ready for Super 14 rugby.
To'omua appeared a distant second-in-line behind Christian Lealiifano who owned the No10 jersey in 2008 following Julian Huxley's season-ending injury in round three for the key pivotal role this year.

But To'omua has emerged as a genuine flyhalf contender according to Friend.

''Watching him training, yeah he is ready, but it's another thing when you're playing full contact. That said I watched him play a few club games last year and I have every confidence that, if asked, he'd be able to step up to Super 14 rugby,'' Friend said of To'omua.

''Matt's got some tremendous attributes in the way he can read the game and the way he can control a game.

''He's a beautiful ball carrier, he just keeps the opposition guessing. He can square up an opposition very, very well.''

While Friend said he was impressed with Lealiifano's efforts last year, the coach refused to guarantee him the No10 jersey.

''There's good competition there and that's very, very genuine competition,'' Friend said.

''Matt's got a great pass, a lovely kicking game and good vision. He understands trends in the game.''

To'omua, who played four games off the bench for the Brumbies last season, said he felt physically and mentally prepared for the challenge.

''I want to compete for more game time but that's out of my hands really,'' To'omua said.

''I feel a lot more comfortable around the guys and confident in directing them so hopefully I can get my chance.''

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Spook said:
Very interesting. To'omua's game management is highly rated.

To'omua may muscle way into No 10
BY PETER FITZGERALD
RUGBY UNION

21/01/2009 1:00:00 AM
ACT Brumbies coach Andy Friend is considering a major selection shock, labelling rookie flyhalf Matt To'omua ready for Super 14 rugby.
To'omua appeared a distant second-in-line behind Christian Lealiifano who owned the No10 jersey in 2008 following Julian Huxley's season-ending injury in round three for the key pivotal role this year.

But To'omua has emerged as a genuine flyhalf contender according to Friend.

''Watching him training, yeah he is ready, but it's another thing when you're playing full contact. That said I watched him play a few club games last year and I have every confidence that, if asked, he'd be able to step up to Super 14 rugby,'' Friend said of To'omua.

''Matt's got some tremendous attributes in the way he can read the game and the way he can control a game.

''He's a beautiful ball carrier, he just keeps the opposition guessing. He can square up an opposition very, very well.''

While Friend said he was impressed with Lealiifano's efforts last year, the coach refused to guarantee him the No10 jersey.

''There's good competition there and that's very, very genuine competition,'' Friend said.

''Matt's got a great pass, a lovely kicking game and good vision. He understands trends in the game.''

To'omua, who played four games off the bench for the Brumbies last season, said he felt physically and mentally prepared for the challenge.

''I want to compete for more game time but that's out of my hands really,'' To'omua said.

''I feel a lot more comfortable around the guys and confident in directing them so hopefully I can get my chance.''

interesting. I know I've heard him described as the "Brown Lynagh" or something by someone somwhere. Obviously a fair judge that man.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
It's always exciting when Brown Lynaghs come down the chute, but I hope we're not pushing him out too soon.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Well, he's not that brown actually, but the phrase seemed to be apt when I first mentioned him on the other forum when I saw him playing in the national U/16 tournament in 2006 at Riverview.

The bolded sentence above seems as apt as it was then. He still has stuff to work on, as I have mentioned before in this thread. I'm sure I mentioned that I hoped that To'omua would get more game time at flyhalf this year so that he could challenge Lealiifano for the spot.

This can only benefit both fellows, and the Brumbies.

As for being too young: the Oz S14 coaches seem to be pushing them out whatever fears some people have. Actually, if he does start a game early in the S14 this year he will be a year older than Beale was when he got his first start - in South Africa.

One thing that will stand him in good stead was his coming to play for the Beasts in the 2008 Sydney competition and experiencing tough games some of which would have been close to ARC standard. If he is to start in a S14 game this year, that move to Sydney would have brought forward the date of it.

PS - Good for the coach talking up one of his players. There is nothing better to rev up a rival than talking up somebody else.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Lee Grant said:
PS - Good for the coach talking up one of his players. There is nothing better to rev up a rival than talking up somebody else.

I reckon you have hit the nail on the head here Lee. He wants to get the best out of Lealifano and this is code for lift your game.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
CA Brumbies Squad v Hurricanes
Canberra Stadium, Canberra
Friday, 30 January 2009

1. Nic Henderson
2. John Ulugia
3. Guy Shepherdson
4. Shawn Mackay
5. Mark Chisholm
6. Peter Kimlin
7. Julian Salvi
8. Stephen Hoiles (c)
9. Joshua Holmes
10. Christian Lealiifano
11. Francis Fainifo
12. Tyrone Smith
13. Afusipa Taumoepeau
14. Peter Betham
15. Mark Gerrard

Reserves
16. Nathan Charles
17. Ben Alexander
18. Sitaleki Timani
19. Ben Hand
20. Patrick Phibbs
21. Matt To'omua
22. Pat McCabe
23. James Stannard
24. Clyde Rathbone
25. Henry Vanderglas
26. Salesi Ma?afu
27. Anthony Hegarty
28. Talalelei Gray
29. Sanualio Afeaki

S

Spook

Nope, and the Brumbies suffered from lack of pace out wide last year. Where's Mafi? :nta:

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Handy pack of pigs, but I still think their best front row could be Alexander, Moore and Ma'afu. Nice to have some depth, though.

S

Spook

Oz rugby needs Ma'afu to come good. Alexander...well my inner jury is still out on him. :-\ He did well for Oz but has played fark all pro rugby.

Henderson is rubbish and Sherperdson dropped off the pace markedly last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.