• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spook

Brumbies giant runs with Stuart in mindFont Size: Decrease Increase Print Page: Print Bret Harris | January 29, 2009
Article from: The Australian
SITALEKI Timani received one piece of advice from coach Ricky Stuart when he played rugby league with the Sharks.

And he has not forgotten it, despite switching to rugby union: when you get the ball, put your head down and run as hard as you can.

And that is going to be a frightening prospect for teams defending against the Brumbies in the Super 14 competition.

At 202cm and 119kg, the hulking Timani is one of the biggest men in Australian rugby and he has set his sights on becoming one of the most damaging players in the game.

At Brumbies training Timani resembles a one-man wrecking crew as his teammates tire of trying to tackle him in opposed practice sessions.

"I want to play as hard as I can and try to get a starting spot," Timani said.

"I prefer the second row. I just give what I've got and play what's in front of me. I want to be noted as a hard runner."

Born in the Tongan village of Kolonga, Timani, 22, grew up playing soccer. One of his uncles, Talialeko, played soccer for Tonga in 1993. Timani was introduced to rugby union when he attended Liahona High School where his talent was recognised straight away.

After representing the Tongan Schoolboys team, Timani won a scholarship to attend Auckland Grammar, but he missed selection for the New Zealand Schoolboys team and decided to move to Australia.

Due to qualification criteria which required three years' residency, Timani was ineligible to play for any of the Australian Super 14 teams.

Switching codes, he joined the Cronulla Sharks and played in the NRL's under-20 competition before moving up to reserve grade the following year.

"Ricky Stuart came down and I learnt a lot from him," Timani said. "It was pretty tough. The training. It was different to rugby union.

"It took me a long time to learn how to play. Rugby league wasn't my game so I switched back to rugby union.

"My height ... when you are running it's easier for little guys to get under you and tackle you."

Timani returned to rugby union playing for Perth Spirit in the now defunct Australian Rugby Championship, which led to a contract with Western Force.

Despite not completing his three-year residency, Timani made his Super 14 debut for the Force against the Sharks in the first round of the 2008 season after receiving dispensation by the ARU due to the club's injury problems.

He earned three caps off the bench for the Force, playing in the second row, but Timani had grown up watching the Brumbies on television and accepted an offer to move to Canberra.

"The Brumbies have always been my club," Timani said. "George Smith (who is of Tongan descent) is my favourite player. I wanted to play with him. Last year I got an offer from the Brumbies so I took it.

"I'm very happy and excited, I can't wait to get on the field."

Timani has been named on the bench for the Brumbies' trial against the Hurricanes in Canberra tomorrow night.

Meanwhile, former Wallabies winger Clyde Rathbone will come off the bench for his first provincial match for the Brumbies in two years. Rathbone is one of eight Wallabies included in the 29-man squad.

The 27-year-old, who played the last of his 26 Tests in 2006, only returned from chronic knee problems at the end of last year's Sydney club season.

While 2008 Wallabies tourists Mark Chisholm, Peter Kimlin and Ben Alexander have been picked to start in the forward pack, Test stars Stirling Mortlock, Smith, Stephen Moore and Adam Ashley-Cooper are being rested.

Good. You belong in the second row. Oz has enough loose forwards.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Henderson is in the leadership group isn't he? But surely he's behind Alexander. Ben Darwin (in an early ruggamatrix podcast) suggested Alexander should play more at 3. But at the Brums they have plenty of THPs.

For me Sheperdson is the one I want to stand up. I thought he was fantastic in 2007. Considering Baxter and Dunning's age and the inexperience of those next in line (Kepu, Palmer, Edwards, Maafu, Weekes) I think Guy is the man most likely to lead us into RWC11, form permitting.

S

Spook

Sheperdson has the best work rate with Baxter but needs to anchor the scrum.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Spook,

Thanks for posting that about Timani. I became a believer when I saw him play lock for the Rats at the money end of the 2008 club season.

He played only a few games for us but two of them were dynamite. I have mentioned his game against Randwick in the Elimination Semi before, and Chisholm didn't compare with him in any department.

If he can play like that for the Brumbies you will have a very good player.

Let's see how much game time he gets and how he does. Watching Timani, Kimlin and To'omua start for the Ponies at some time this year will be something to savour - and I am also looking forward to watching them in the trial with the Tahs next week.

S

Spook

Well there certainly is a lot of talk coming out of the Brumbies camp. They have to get it sorted up front otherwise they'll be pretty ordinary again.

S

Spook

Josh Holmes underlines potential with great display as Brumbies win trial
By David Beniuk
January 30, 2009 BRUMBIES half-back Josh Holmes gave an early indication he intends to challenge Luke Burgess for the Australian No.9 jersey in 2009 with a dominant display in a 28-14 Super 14 trial win over the Hurricanes at Canberra Stadium.

Holmes was in everything during his first half run and scored the only try of the first 40 in the 29th minute on a hot night in the national capital.

The No.9 was on the spot to crash over after 2008 revelation Tyrone Smith had made an incisive burst, Mark Gerrard's conversion giving the home side a 7-0 half-time lead.

The former Waratahs half-back also came close on two other occasions as the Brumbies began their new era under Andy Friend by dominating the territory and possession against an under strength Hurricanes side.

It wasn't all good news for the 22-year-old who was assisted off at half-time after taking a heavy knock following one of his trademark bursts.

Holmes has long been highly rated but is yet to realise his full potential, something he hoped would turn around when he switched to the Brumbies last year.

Burgess starred for the Waratahs last year but had a mixed debut international season, with his passing game coming under scrutiny.

Coach Friend made nine changes at half-time, including Holmes's replacement, ex-Western Force recruit James Stannard, and former Wallaby winger Clyde Rathbone, playing his first game for the Brumbies in nearly two years.

The Canes made 10 changes, including Cory Jane who scored his side's first try five minutes after the break to make it 7-7.

A try under the posts to Wallaby prop Ben Alexander put the Brumbies ahead again 14-7 but the visitors hit back three minutes later through Zac Guildford as the second favourites for this year's Super 14 title began to get the better of the Brumbies' Bs.

But the Brumbies third half-back to be used, Patrick Phibbs, sealed the win with a 76th minute five-pointer before Afusipa Taumoepeau scored out wide to make it 28-14.

Test stars Stirling Mortlock, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Stephen Moore and George Smith sat out the trial.

AAP

Font size: Increase font size Decrease font size Send this article: Print this article Email this article

He looks more grown up:

84553880.jpg

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
squad for first game:

CA Brumbies v Highlanders
Carisbrook, Dunedin (NZ)
Friday, 13 February 2009
Kick-off: 7.35pm local time (5.35pm AEDST)

Forwards: Ben Alexander, Mark Chisholm, Ben Hand, Nic Henderson, Stephen Hoiles (c), Peter Kimlin, Shawn Mackay, Stephen Moore, Julian Salvi, Guy Shepherdson, George Smith, Sitaleki Timani, John Ulugia

Backs: Adam Ashley-Cooper, Francis Fainifo, Mark Gerrard, Josh Holmes, Christian Lealiifano, Stirling Mortlock, Patrick Phibbs, Clyde Rathbone, Tyrone Smith, Matt To'omua

Only Alfi Mafi was not considered due to injury.

- no Salesi Ma'afu.
- No Huia Edmonds, so Ulugia is back up hooker.
- No Mitch Chapman
- Shawn Mackay is there!
- To'omua should definitely be in the squad unless they carry an extra forward.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Noddy said:
squad for first game:

CA Brumbies v Highlanders
Carisbrook, Dunedin (NZ)
Friday, 13 February 2009
Kick-off: 7.35pm local time (5.35pm AEDST)

Forwards: Ben Alexander, Mark Chisholm, Ben Hand, Nic Henderson, Stephen Hoiles (c), Peter Kimlin, Shawn Mackay, Stephen Moore, Julian Salvi, Guy Shepherdson, George Smith, Sitaleki Timani, John Ulugia

Backs: Adam Ashley-Cooper, Francis Fainifo, Mark Gerrard, Josh Holmes, Christian Lealiifano, Stirling Mortlock, Patrick Phibbs, Clyde Rathbone, Tyrone Smith, Matt To'omua

Only Alfi Mafi was not considered due to injury.

- no Salesi Ma'afu.
- No Huia Edmonds, so Ulugia is back up hooker.
- No Mitch Chapman
- Shawn Mackay is there!
- To'omua should definitely be in the squad unless they carry an extra forward.
Wow! Mackay in before Chapman..whodathought?

Backrow of Fainifo, Gerrard and Rathbone doesn't look so bad, at least there's some pace there to accompany Gerrards good kicking and tactical game.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
If Holmes is 6'1", 95 kgs, super quick and a terrific ball runner, doesn't that sound like he should be playing inside centre ? Maybe I just like the idea of Gene Fairbanks being the 4th choice inside centre.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Spook

Holmes was always big even at school when I said on the other forum that he could be another Joost, another big scrummie.

Noddy

I wasn't surprised when Chapman wasn't included. He played in the curtain raiser to the Tahs trial game and I watched him individually for a few minutes. He watched the ball well. Nobody stole it. On the other hand, I didn't notice MacKay doing anything to write home about.

Huia Edmonds played in that game too and waddled around the park all night. He is a far cry from the young bloke who terrorised opposition playing for the Beasts in Sydney club rugby a few years back, including playing in the backline. To be fair: the recurrent hamstring and lower back injuries that he suffered at the Tahs probably slowed him down.

Ulugia played well when he came off the bench in the main game and scored a good try from a lineout move with a bit to do once he got the ball. He deserves his place.

spectator

It looks like a good back three but it lacks pace. Rathbone didn't look that fast in Sydney club rugby and had a poor game in the trial. Gerrard was even slower for the Rats this year than ever; nor does Frankie shift that fast IMO and he didn't look that great for Randwick this year either.

Mind you, I have misjudged the pace of players before.

naza

Homes has always been a good ball runner and can play anywhere in the backline. I've seen him play on the wing with distinction. His problem is a lack of attention and care at the base of rucks, scrums and lineouts - and the reading of the game, except when it involves himself having a run or backing up for a pass.

It disturbs me to say that having been a big supporter of his since his school days and before most posters on any rugby forum had ever heard about him.

I haven't given up on him though and would be more delighted than anybody for him to prove me wrong.

S

Spook

Holmes needs to pull his finger out. Oz needs some more 1/2 backs of quality.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Lee Grant said:
Noddy

I wasn't surprised when Chapman wasn't included. He played in the curtain raiser to the Tahs trial game and I watched him individually for a few minutes. He watched the ball well. Nobody stole it. On the other hand, I didn't notice MacKay doing anything to write home about.

That game was Chapman's return from (yet another) shoulder injury. Personally I think he will leave the Brumbies after this year as I doubt he'll get much game time unless a miracle happens. Moving to the Brumbies proved to be a bad career move - and that doesn't happen often. Heenan and Chapman the two notable exceptions.

Huia Edmonds played in that game too and waddled around the park all night. He is a far cry from the young bloke who terrorised opposition playing for the Beasts in Sydney club rugby a few years back, including playing in the backline. To be fair: the recurrent hamstring and lower back injuries that he suffered at the Tahs probably slowed him down.

Huia Edmonds was also a disappointment last year in his S14 game time (when not injured). Lots of chronic injury problems...I'd say he's another likely to be let loose by the Brumbies - if they have a replacement.

Ulugia played well when he came off the bench in the main game and scored a good try from a lineout move with a bit to do once he got the ball. He deserves his place.

At least he will be able to scrummage well as a former prop. How's his throwing?

spectator

It looks like a good back three but it lacks pace. Rathbone didn't look that fast in Sydney club rugby and had a poor game in the trial. Gerrard was even slower for the Rats this year than ever; nor does Frankie shift that fast IMO and he didn't look that great for Randwick this year either.

Mind you, I have misjudged the pace of players before.

Randwick ended up dumping Fanifo to the bench. I would think that Alfi Mafi would start ahead of him - if Mafi was fit.

Really, I think that the Brumbies would be better off by putting their best cattle on the park and having 12. T. Smith 13. Mortlock 14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), and leaving the other wing spot for one of Fanifo, Mafi or Rattlebones. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) isn't exactly a quick winger either, but he's better than probably the current Rathbone, Mafi and Fanifo. At least if they put Mafi on the other wing they get some pace.

Admittedly, the back three and pace out wide isn't the strength of this Brumbies side though. They'll be more relying on good set peices thanks to Moore, a good and very mobile pack, Mortlock and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in midfield, and a good kicking game from Gerrard and maybe To'omua - if he gets a chance.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That game was Chapman's return from (yet another) shoulder injury. Personally I think he will leave the Brumbies after this year as I doubt he'll get much game time unless a miracle happens. Moving to the Brumbies proved to be a bad career move - and that doesn't happen often. Heenan and Chapman the two notable exceptions.

Wellllll...I guess Humphreys career is ending soon (although he is playing so damn well). We could probably consider CHappie at lock, although Horwill and Simmons will be pretty solid then. I we could well have Heeno back then too.

Really, I think that the Brumbies would be better off by putting their best cattle on the park and having 12. T. Smith 13. Mortlock 14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), and leaving the other wing spot for one of Fanifo, Mafi or Rattlebones. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) isn't exactly a quick winger either, but he's better than probably the current Rathbone, Mafi and Fanifo. At least if they put Mafi on the other wing they get some pace.

Which is EXACTLY what Friend said he would do, in terms of picking his best players. He was justification of playing Morty at 12. Seems incorrect, as Smith would definitely be one of their top backs, I would have thought.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Agree with Ash and yourself Nod about playing Smith and moving others.

We would all like to see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) with a permanent gig at 13 but he may have to move to the wing as Ash says. He's not too shabby on the wing: we can all remember the try he scored there in the 2007 Bledisloe bumping of sundry All Blacks including TIM McCaw.

Andy Friend was on the radio this morning and he said that he is taking an extra player over just in case because 3 of his players have niggles. When he mentioned the names, the car horns were cued to beep and they did. The only name I caught was Kimlin's.

PS: I wonder how many S14 games it will take for people to realise that Hoiles playing together with Smith all the time could be a negative. It was noticeable in the game last year against the Chiefs that the Ponies were a man short in the physical stuff, though because Campbell was playing in that match too, they were probably two short.

Most of the time the Ponies will get away with it but against hard farquers, especially SAffer teams, you can't have two skills backrowers. Smith doesn't shirk physicality, but he's a freak. Hoiles is not.

But the question of demoting Hoiles probably won't arise as they don't have a bruiser to play 8 anyway. Salvi played there a bit last year and whilst he isn't very big either, at least he plays hard. I wonder if Friend will ever consider playing Timani there? Though he is a bit tall for reliable ball pick up, he has all the athletic attributes that you would want in an 8, but not the experience playing there TTBOMK.

P

PhucNgo

Lee Grant said:
Spook

Speaking of lower back problems Lee. You were out at the SFS last Thursday, did you happen to cast your eagle eyes over Shepherdson. He looked to me like he was struggling just going thru the warmup. Definitely been crunched simultaneously from both ends more than recommended number of times.

P

PhucNgo

Ash, I hear what your're saying about Fainifo and share your concerns, but I watched him individually a few times during last week's trial and he seems to have grown an extra leg. Seemed a long way away better than the Sydney semis last year where he just seemed to lack ... well something. I think he realises there's a few people lining up behind him this year, but realistically, Alfi Mafi isn't going to challenge him if he stays on track. Rattlebones will give the S14 a nudge, he's still got the motivation, but the totem pole for Aus wingers at the moment with Heinze, Ioane, Turner, Tuqiri etc is pretty crowded.

Status
Not open for further replies.