• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Rugby Reg,

Nice job there mate.

I guess that Tier One means pro and Tier Two means amateur.

This had better be 10/12 Coleman's last year without a Super contract. He's a local lad but he may owe it to himself to move on especially with the number of players the Brumbies have in their stable who have already started as 10 or 12 in Super rugby.

Good to see 3. Owen there. The ITM Cup has raised his profile and may already be pencilled in elsewhere, south of the border perhaps, for 2012.

8. Vaea is another one who won't be hanging around. This 21 y.o. Tongan is virtually unknown outside of Canberra and Sydney but he ran over a few folks for Southern Districts and already has exposure. He could be looking elsewhere and I hear not necessarily in Oz.

The acquisition of 11/14/15 Crook is a coup and had not Bowen stuffed up he'd could have been at the Tahs, but nudge, nudge, say no more.

Tier Two: These names are not so important but it's significant that some non-locals are ready to relocate there:

I'm looking forward to the development of 3. Hugh Roach if he gets big enough and like others I thought that another Newington lad, 8. Joel Luani, the form 2010 Oz Schoolboy IMO, was off to rugby league. Woo-hoo if he is not. Good to see that Zacker is back from a gap year. IMO he and Justin Turner were the best Oz Schools scrummies of the last 5 years; not that it is saying a whole lot.

In the trialists - is that Chris Feuai-Sautia?? Good heavens - how did Queenslanders allow him leave town? He hasn't turned 17 yet and I thought he was still at school next year. Maybe they can get him back and claim he's a runaway.

Funny that John Grant can't even get an amateur academy spot. Good to see 19 y.o. Nicky Price back in the mix after dabbling in the AFL. He played some good rugby for SD this year.

Brett Stapleton? That's a blast from the past. I wonder how close he gets to his 10.27 sec time as a 16 y.o. these days? I bet he can't beat Lachie Turner who was in the same Oz Schools team as Brett - and incidentally other Wallaby tourists: Beale, Pocock, McCalman and Cooper.

2010 Oz Schools captain and lock Steve Cummins is a good prospect and I look forward to seeing him develop. He is in the right stable with Lindommer and his mates at West Harbour.

R

Rothschild

This is well out of date

Dion Taimata has been telling people he is going to NSW - ???????
Also, Stapleton pitched for an academy spot however was apparently politely told no but we will welcome you to try out with the rest, to which he declined. Allegedly.

R

Rothschild

Rugby Reg,
In the trialists - is that Chris Feuai-Sautia?? Good heavens - how did Queenslanders allow him leave town? He hasn't turned 17 yet and I thought he was still at school next year. Maybe they can get him back and claim he's a runaway..

Lee, I think you will re read that as Chris Satui - not Sautia - two different players.
Satui was a flanker in the QldI schools at nationals but went no further.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Rugby Reg,

Nice job there mate.

I guess that Tier One means pro and Tier Two means amateur.

This had better be 10/12 Coleman's last year without a Super contract. He's a local lad but he may owe it to himself to move on especially with the number of players the Brumbies have in their stable who have already started as 10 or 12 in Super rugby.

Good to see 3. Owen there. The ITM Cup has raised his profile and may already be pencilled in elsewhere, south of the border perhaps, for 2012.

8. Vaea is another one who won't be hanging around. This 21 y.o. Tongan is virtually unknown outside of Canberra and Sydney but he ran over a few folks for Southern Districts and already has exposure. He could be looking elsewhere and I hear not necessarily in Oz.

The acquisition of 11/14/15 Crook is a coup and had not Bowen stuffed up he'd could have been at the Tahs, but nudge, nudge, say no more.

Tier Two: These names are not so important but it's significant that some non-locals are ready to relocate there:

I'm looking forward to the development of 3. Hugh Roach if he gets big enough and like others I thought that another Newington lad, 8. Joel Luani, the form 2010 Oz Schoolboy IMO, was off to rugby league. Woo-hoo if he is not. Good to see that Zacker is back from a gap year. IMO he and Justin Turner were the best Oz Schools scrummies of the last 5 years; not that it is saying a whole lot.

In the trialists - is that Chris Feuai-Sautia?? Good heavens - how did Queenslanders allow him leave town? He hasn't turned 17 yet and I thought he was still at school next year. Maybe they can get him back and claim he's a runaway.

Funny that John Grant can't even get an amateur academy spot. Good to see 19 y.o. Nicky Price back in the mix after dabbling in the AFL. He played some good rugby for SD this year.

Brett Stapleton? That's a blast from the past. I wonder how close he gets to his 10.27 sec time as a 16 y.o. these days? I bet he can't beat Lachie Turner who was in the same Oz Schools team as Brett - and incidentally other Wallaby tourists: Beale, Pocock, McCalman and Cooper.

2010 Oz Schools captain and lock Steve Cummins is a good prospect and I look forward to seeing him develop. He is in the right stable with Lindommer and his mates at West Harbour.

The Brumbies might've just sent him that list but it can't be correct...

The Brumbies site has stated that Coleman has been promoted to a senior contract...

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Henry Speights had a good game in the ITM CUP final tonight... Robbie Coleman got a run last year with the Brumbies... He is only 19 give him another year in the Runners and 7s to develop his game. There is plenty of time for him in 2012 and on, to play for the Brumbies...

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Lee, you obviously know all about Brett Stapleton's antecedents. He's very fast and sizable but one dimensional. He played in Japan for a year or two from the Gold Coast (and after a stint at the Force) but just can't cut it with the skill level. Was way ahead of his cohorts as a schoolboy (one of my boys played against him for Ipswich Grammar) but they caught up and exceeded him. Reminded me of that Darren Clark in league - quick but no feel for the game. Shame really 'cos he's got some gas alright.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
the brumbies are so broad with their academy program, probably a smart option considering they way individuals develop post school football. Very interesting list of playeres, especially the young lock who is listed in both in the brumbies and reds academy programs. Very average footballer from whatever angle I have watched a game from, obviously someone more talented can see something that I can't.

Are you confusing Dave McDuling and Sam Carter?

Either way, E'nE, if that's who tranquillity's referring to, he has extraordinarily high standards or is no judge of a footballer. Both McDuling and Carter have the potential to go all the way, and the work ethic to get there.

T

tranquility

Either way, E'nE, if that's who tranquillity's referring to, he has extraordinarily high standards or is no judge of a footballer. Both McDuling and Carter have the potential to go all the way, and the work ethic to get there.

I wasn't actually, I have never seen Mcduling play and am very excited to see him get a run. I was referring to a player who plays in the QLD competition.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I wasn't actually, I have never seen Mcduling play and am very excited to see him get a run. I was referring to a player who plays in the QLD competition.

Tim Buchanan. He's in the Reds Academy. He only trialled for the Brumbies Academy.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Lee, you obviously know all about Brett Stapleton's antecedents. He's very fast and sizable but one dimensional. He played in Japan for a year or two from the Gold Coast (and after a stint at the Force) but just can't cut it with the skill level. Was way ahead of his cohorts as a schoolboy (one of my boys played against him for Ipswich Grammar) but they caught up and exceeded him. Reminded me of that Darren Clark in league - quick but no feel for the game. Shame really 'cos he's got some gas alright.

Yeah - you could see that in him as an Oz Schools player but they put him in the Ones anyway and it was a good move just in case he came good.

But we saw in the ARC that he was unexceptional and ditto in the Oz Sevens - where he seemed to be not particularly fast in the role of flyer. It's probable that in bulking up for rugby he lost a lot of his 16 y.o. pace.

I had hopes though. 10.27 secs would have made him one of the fastest rugby players in the world.

F

farmerc

rocket

who else was on the trialist list for the brumbies was there a Dylan Evans

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

I'm pleased to have that cleared up, tranquility. I'll be very surprised if McDuling is not a standout in the Brisbane competition. He'll also be noticed if he gets any Super time.

R

Rothschild

Yeah - you could see that in him as an Oz Schools player but they put him in the Ones anyway and it was a good move just in case he came good.
But we saw in the ARC that he was unexceptional and ditto in the Oz Sevens - where he seemed to be not particularly fast in the role of flyer. It's probable that in bulking up for rugby he lost a lot of his 16 y.o. pace.
I had hopes though. 10.27 secs would have made him one of the fastest rugby players in the world.

When Stapleton played senior rugby at the GC Breakers I understand he was the fastest player in the IRB at the time.
But as Lance said, one dimensional.
I am not sure if he played the December tests that year for Oz schools (I think they toured to UK) as he tore his hammy in the annual GPS T&F 100m.

T

tranquility

Not to get into sprinting but Brett Stapleton was essentially the great white hope of Australian sprinting since Lynton Johnson, the fact that he has not made it as a rugby player is a damn shame, because if you had seen him run at his peak as a sprinter it was a thing of beauty. The kind of person who would make Rod Davies look stationary at full pace.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Not to get into sprinting but Brett Stapleton was essentially the great white hope of Australian sprinting since Lynton Johnson.

I'm intrigued, tranq. Lynton Johnson? You don't by any chance mean Patrick? Although he would hardly fit the description, "great white hope".

Status
Not open for further replies.