• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
How about Elsom captain (or Giteau if Elsom ruled out ) and Salvi vice for 2011. Then Salvi captain and To'omua vice going forward if Hoiles, Elsom and Giteau depart.

Salvi is a Canberra junior and came through the Brumbies Academy, has leadership experience captaining Australia Schoolboys and Australia U21's and has pretty experienced background for the 25 year old. He's also presumably guaranteed a starting spot in at least one of the backrow positions given the injury toll. He and To'omua are currently apart of the Brumbies leadership team... Those two are my pick anyway.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How about Elsom captain (or Giteau if Elsom ruled out ) and Salvi vice for 2011. Then Salvi captain and To'omua vice going forward if Hoiles, Elsom and Giteau depart.

Salvi is a Canberra junior and came through the Brumbies Academy, has leadership experience captaining Australia Schoolboys and Australia U21's and has pretty experienced background for the 25 year old. He's also presumably guaranteed a starting spot in at least one of the backrow positions given the injury toll. He and To'omua are currently apart of the Brumbies leadership team... Those two are my pick anyway.

Elsom might not be fit... and Salvi isn't guaranteed the 7 jumper with Fainga'a and Hooper there... rewarding him the captaincy would limit the opportunities of possible better players...

Which is why I believe Moore is the best pick for now...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This is usually true. There used to be a protocol that squads should have only so many contracted players but that they could use players outside the squad if there was a long term injury. The intent was to deter Super teams from warehousing players in in too large squads. This gave other teams a better chance to acquire quality fringe players and it also enforced financial prudence.

This was tied up with the RUPA agreement and IIRR this terminated in 2008 and has not been renewed. Rugby journalists like Rupert McGuiness have mentioned that there is still a limit to the number of contracted players in a squad but I'd like to see that in some official communication as it seems like Rafferty's rules prevail. According to Noddy's sticky one team has 35 contracted players and another has 29. One can always have fewer but 35 seems too high.

I have perchance digressed. Teams are going outside of those old protocols now. For example: Tahs lock Kane Douglas was used from the bench in the first game of the 2010 S14. He was an academy player and contracted players Thomson and Roodt were not injured IIRR but were ignored on form. Douglas started in all the other 13 games whereas Thompson and Roodt had only 4 games from the bench between them for the whole season. Another Junior Waratah, Patrick McCutcheon had 3 run-on games for the Tahs when Alcock could have been used, and even Lochie McCaffrey got some minutes in one game when contracted Tahs were available.

There would be similar stories in other Super teams; so if Vaea has good form in the trials or later for the Runners, and others don't, or they stumble during the tournament, he could find himself on the park in 2011.

But this all supposes that Vaea is in the next tier. There have been a few posts in this thread about who is in the next tier of players or the 2nd tier but as usual the Brumbies are slow out of the blocks on their web site. Makes a few calls Brumbies fans - give them hell.

Lee, according to the most recent article on the Brumbies' website Vaea is in the top tier of the academy and Friend also stated that he's a possibility for game time if there are injuries...

I wish the Brumbies would drop the idea of recruiting another outside back to the senior squad and just promote the guy... especially as at this stage it looks like there's possible injuries to a few backrowers...

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Elsom might not be fit... and Salvi isn't guaranteed the 7 jumper with Fainga'a and Hooper there... rewarding him the captaincy would limit the opportunities of possible better players...

Which is why I believe Moore is the best pick for now...

Salvi can play any of the backrow positions.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Salvi can play any of the backrow positions.

But he's not a better blindside than Elsom, Chapman or Kimlin...

And he's not a better 8 than Hoiles or Vaea...

He's no George Smith... so unless he's playing openside (and it's debatable whether or not he's the best for the position) he's on the bench...

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
But he's not a better blindside than Elsom, Chapman or Kimlin...

And he's not a better 8 than Hoiles or Vaea...

Yes but what brought up this discussion is that it is Elsom, Kimlin and Holies are in doubt, which leaves Chapman, Fainga'a and Hooper to fill the backrow (with Vaea and Parahi in the Acadamy if there is additional injuries). If that is the case Salvi will definitely start in one of those 3 vacant positions. If that isn't the case then Hoiles or Elsom will captain the side.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes but what brought up this discussion is that it is Elsom, Kimlin and Holies are in doubt, which leaves Chapman, Fainga'a and Hooper to fill the backrow (with Vaea and Parahi in the Acadamy if there is additional injuries). If that is the case Salvi will definitely start in one of those 3 vacant positions. If that isn't the case then Hoiles or Elsom will captain the side.

If all 3 of those are injured then Vaea would definitely come into the squad...

Salvi might already start at openside if there's no injuries... or he'll definitely start if there are multiple injuries...

He shouldn't get the captaincy because better players are possibly injured... and at this stage there's only speculation about Elsom and Kimlin/Hoiles are unlikely to miss more than a few games...

As I've already stated, he's probably likely to start at openside but he's not guaranteed the position, and after that he's a bench/backup utility backrower...

Shouldn't be considered for captaincy...

He's leadership material but in no position to captain the side...

kambah mick

Chris McKivat (8)
Is Moore much of a talker on the field? He always struck me as the strong silent type, somehow which doesn't make for a good captain, though it would be good for Hoiles to assume some silence.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is Moore much of a talker on the field? He always struck me as the strong silent type, somehow which doesn't make for a good captain, though it would be good for Hoiles to assume some silence.

On the EOYT Moore seemed to be doing all the talking with the referees in regards to the scrum...

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Have to agree that Moore doesn't seem the talking type from what I've seen. I'm not sure he is the type to gather the boys around and encourage them to go into the trenches with him. No doubt he is a "follow me" type but you need to communicate as well.

As for Jesse Parahi I understand he is also injured and underwent shoulder surgery after being injured in 7's late in 2010.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I really can't see captaining the side. Friend also commented on the Brumbies 'leadership group' today saying that To'omua has been promoted into this group... Moore was not in the 6 or so players he said that made up of this group. Not to mention he is also one of those on the post RWC leavers.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think there are a number of possible leavers so if Hoiles does step down it would probably be easier to appoint a captain for 2011 and then review it next year...

Moore was once touted as a possible future Wallaby leader a few years ago and from what I've seen with him in the Wallabies he does a fair bit of talking on the field and seems to do more of it with the refs than Elsom...

However, I would be curious to know who was named in the leadership group... although I don't know if it really accounts for too much with the Brumbies considering Harrison and Chapman were in that group last year and both were hardly guaranteed starters...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Slim 293

That mention of Vaea was in the article about the boxing practice which you told us about earlier. I remember reading that now, and that Friend had mentioned Vaea as being in tier one.

Not to the point but it would be nice to have an official list of players in the various tiers on the website.

That's a good comment about the backrower injuries. They could give Dylan Sigg from Manly a 1 year deal and he would jump at the chance to prove himself. He would be like with like with Kimlin. He plays lock in the Shute Shield but his role in Super Rugby would be as a lock/6 reserve.

Considering players in the Shute Shield I wouldn't look past Vaea as a back up for Hoiles. Ideally you'd like a more seasoned no. 8 backup and I would have nominated Marlon Solofuti from Manly but he got a better offer in France halfway through the season. His Manly team mate Tevita Metusela has been in the Brumbies stable before but he has gone to the Force.

As insurance I'd give Vaea a run every now and then from the bench even though he's not a contracted Super player, and especially if Hoiles can't start the season.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm also troubled by the news that Lilo (according to the Crimes) "..is keen to secure the No12 jumper for the start of the season."

Dear Lilo, if you want to get on the field put your hand up at fullback.

The 10/12 position is already well covered by To'omua, Giteau and Coleman.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Is Tala Grey not being considered for these positions because he got cut or he is not good enough yet?

Saw a video of him on youtube and he looked dynamic but not brilliant in contact situations. Maybe a bit lightweight for Super rugby

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Not to the point but it would be nice to have an official list of players in the various tiers on the website.

Small steps Lee. When finished with the main player group on Ruggapedia maybe then we can start on the other tiers. Watch this space ......

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Is Tala Grey not being considered for these positions because he got cut or he is not good enough yet?

Saw a video of him on youtube and he looked dynamic but not brilliant in contact situations. Maybe a bit lightweight for Super rugby

He is young and I don't think a tier 1. I also have heard he might be involved with the wider Rebels set-up but I could be wrong.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I'm hearing Sills to contract and Cam Crawford remaining rookie making up the 32. Anyone heard anything?

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
It is good to see Brumbies staff have not succumbed to the temptation to include recent schoolboy Lindsay Crook in the main squad despite being one of the fitter and fastest of their plethora of outside backs.

It is in everyone’s best interest that the younger players are given an opportunity to develop their game and to avoid the errors made in the situations of Beale, Cooper and O’Connor being elevated way too early.

The first and second years out of school are vital to the young players in their development.

The Brumbies have however included Crook in their team to play the Aust 7’s in Canberra on Tuesday and in their campaign in the Darwin Hottest 7’s on Jan 21 and 22.

Well done to Clint Sills and Cameron Crawford

Status
Not open for further replies.