• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
good player but not really needed anymore. Hope he makes some nice $ over that way.

N

Neil

He should still be in the starting pack in place of Power, I find watching Power almost comical - useless

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
It is a shame though, in the sense that we have witnessed many a time squad depth being exposed once a couple of injuries strike.

I for one believe players such as Van Humphries and Wallace-Harrison not only provide much needed depth, but also keep the next generation of wallabies (in this case Simmons) honest.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He should still be in the starting pack in place of Power, I find watching Power almost comical - useless

How so?

Power is certainly the least impressive of the current Brumbies' pack, but he gets through a bit of work...

For instance, he made the most tackles out of anyone in the Brumbies on the weekend with a 100% success rate...

I think it was pretty obvious last year that Hand's contract wouldn't get renewed this year.

He'll provide decent cover if one of our current locks go down though.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Ben would have been one of the first players Jake would have wanted to be rid of. There's nothing wrong with being a lovely bloke and as nice as pie, but you can't play like that. I wouldn't say that Power and Kimlin are in the Terminator category either. The Brumbies front row and back row are first rate, or close to it, but their 2nd row needs new blood to play with Carter, who is not the real deal yet but is showing very good signs.

There is a serious lack of hard head locks in the country to choose from and with Mowen in the pack, and Kimlin and Fardy able to play 6 - and all good lineout men - you don't need another giraffe lock. The Brumbies could look for a shorter club guy who is as hard as nails and knows how to support his THP in the scrum. However, this type of player tends to be overlooked.

An easy solution would be to give Hand's contract to Fardy, but although he is a top club player in that position, he is really a reserve lock/6 in Super rugby, and the Brumbies already have one in Kimlim.

Besides, I don't think that Jake is one to take the easy option.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I'd like to see Kimlin in the row, and Mowen move to 6 to allow Vaea to start. Fardy on the bench, which is harsh because he's been superb, but he cant play 2nd row, can he?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fardy's role seems to be that of a super sub at the moment, which seems to work best for the team...

I would assume that he (like Mogg) will have his contract upgraded next year...

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)

No way Neil, Ben Hand is lucky to have a Super Rugby training contract. I'm sure he's a great fella and I hope he makes some great coin in Europe, but he does not cut the mustard in the tight five.

P

Paradox

I have really rated Fardy. I reckon he could be a Wallaby is he a big hard crunt. Apparently he has never been one to train hard but Jake White has got him in fine nick.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I wrote this for another thread but will transfer it here instead:

Yeah, it looks like it was the beginning of the end for Owen and Jerry at the Brumbies anyways, particularly with the likes of Murphy and Sio overtaking them in the pecking order...

Murphy seems to be doing well, though I won't sign out on that until I see him start tonight; not that Blake, his direct protagonist, is the benchmark for THPs this year.

I've said before that Scott Sio is one that I would have liked to have kept in Sydney for the Tahs. His scrummaging in the Shute Shield was coming on well in 1st Grade and, being a backrower in his even younger days, he could get around the park.

Folks might remember a run when he came on against the Sharks and Clarkie thought it was Vaea. It's odds on that the Brumbies will offer him a full contract though I have a sneaky hope that the Tahs will somehow replace Tilse with him.

It's a pity that Jono never kicked on but it looks like the ITMC, in which he played well in, was his top level. Jerry Y was injured too much to make his mark, and he never impressed me as an adequate scrummager anyway, as far as I am able to judge the matter.

There is always a certain amount of dislocation when a new coach comes on board in Super Rugby but it can serve to clear the decks, rightly or wrongly, and leave spaces for players of more potential. It appears that Jake is marginalising some players though it could be just a part of his long game, a portion of which is the completion of planning for 2013 contract renewals and acquisitions. For that he has to have a good look at his roster.

Some rotation will be evident even after 2013 is bedded down because he will be looking at 2014 planning at the same time. It could be that his player rotations, some of which will look odd, will go on another 12 months, albeit at a diminished level. Then in 2014 we will see Jake's real squad, unencumbered by the presence of players chosen by ex-coaches, and not of his brand.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Jake White was quoted in the Crimes toadying stating that Owen doesn't fit into the Brumbies' new culture, and that Sio is the future...

I would expect maybe 4/5 EPS guys to get full contracts next year...

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Fotu Auelua impressed. Looked good in his first start for the Brumbies at No.8 , they'll need him in the republic

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
additionally Brumbies centre Tevita Kuridrani had a great first start on Saturday night. Very impressive for a young guy and so confident in his first start. I look forward to seeing more of him... what an outstanding signing. Brumbies have really signed some extremely promising players, Tomane, White, Mogg, Frady, Auelua, Murphy and now Kuridrani, not to mention Captain Mowen...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Agree on Kuridrani. I'm trying to remember what I thought about the signing of this lad having seen him play for Oz Sevens and the Oz U/20 team, but I don't think that I was all that expectant - just mildly interested in seeing how a talented youngster would survive the hard times of being a beginner in a Super franchise.

I read last week that he arrived in Oz with his family when he was 16, because his mum was doing a Uni course, and he went to a non-rugby school. He was recognised through playing club rugby and got caught in the Oz Sevens net somehow. He trained in the Reds stable, as Queensland Oz Sevens players did, but it was always doubtful that he would get a chance to be picked up for their Super team with so many elite youngsters who could play where he did on their books.

I seem to remember writing that he was another of the guys who could play wing or centre for the Brumbies and that there were a few of them; so the best of them should turn out OK. Faint praise. Looks like he is a keeper amongst the mini squad of centre/wings.

I was very interested in Tomane though. He was the best player in an Oz Schools tournament back in the day and I was appalled when I found out he was going to league. Although his career on the dark side was hardly stellar I had a sneaky hope that could do as well as his school rugby union contemporaries were doing when he returned. Looks like he hasn't missed a rugby beat.

I could waffle on again about Auela, who I have seen a lot of playing for Toulon, but it suffices to say that he looked as fit as I hoped he would be and ditto for his standard of play. With so many team mates who can perform in the midfield I doubt if we will see him wearing a 12 or 13 jersey in Super Rugby as he did a lot in the Top14, but watch out if the Brumbies have a 5/2 split in the bench and there is an injury or two in the backs. He is not the worst in either centre position.

P

Paradox

I didn't realise Tomane had such top-draw pace. For a big bloke at 100kgs+ that's pretty rare. He could play 13 as well for Oz at some stage.

One thing that has annoyed me about the Brumbies for years was since Rathbone got injured, they lacked real pace out wide (and explosive players in general). I think getting Speight last year was an attempt to rectify that and the policy has continued with Tomane, Mogg, etc.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Agree about that Paradox. Even at outside centre with Andrew Smith there you could see that the extra step on opponents was missing. He has played well enough but Kuridrani showed game breaking attributes the other night. Smith is a meritorious player who plays to his ability consistently but he is very meat and potatoes without the gravy.

His contract may be renewed because of his steadfastness and diligence, both lacking in many Super players, but I would not be surprised if he is overlooked, since most of the new guys who can play centre/wing are hired through to 2013.

Mogg will have to get a full contract in 2013. Unless McCabes' contract was extended it expires this year but he won't be going anywhere. Therefore either Smith or Speight will have to make way for Mogg in 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.