• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paradox

He said yesterday the Brumbies are like a family to him.

I'd think that it wasn't for money.

Well that's a fringe benefit and should be taxed. I'm pretty sure Jake White said they were paying bugger all for Smith.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Still waiting for the ARU to release the findings of there investigation into a Sydney based team that gained an unfair advantage. Why isn't Harris concerned with that?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What a ridiculous article by Brett Harris. I suggest he has a look at the number of Wallabies at QLD/NSW getting ARU top ups and then have a whinge. I don't have a problem with NSW/QLD having those players BTW.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...ry-cap-questions/story-e6frg7o6-1226588751950

I mean WTF?

Harris is a loon.

Harris would have a point if this was a fantasy competition. As it isn't, the actual money people are paid is all that is relevant.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This is the second "story" Harris has tried to create this week after trying to somehow connect McMenimum to the Brumbies because he's a lock/6, and Kimlin was leaving , but this one is so much better..........

I just love how he keeps shutting himself down throughout the story......

To start with, he raises the question about how the Brumbies could afford Smith and kind of insinuates something sinister.....

But then acknowledges that they're not paying him very much......

That's where the story should end, but no.......

Why isn't there a salary cap investigator like in the NRL to place a value on Smith so the Brumbies can't pay him such a small amount?!?!

But....... said salary cap investigator allowed the Broncos to pay Lockyer below market value due to his stature in the game.....

So even if there was such a role it probably wouldn't stop such a signing.......

So what does this article actually say?

Nothing.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Jake is right though, if they think about skipping the country at this age, not a good omen for the Wallabies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Jake is right though, if they think about skipping the country at this age, not a good omen for the Wallabies.

To open up an old wound... White delayed surgery last year when he was clearly the second best quality 9 we had. Deans then selected Phipps over him for the bench, so White went ahead and had surgery. Then Genia did his knee and we had to put up with Phipps appalling passing because Deans is also not a Sheehan fan.

The bottom line is that White knows that Deans will not select him while Phipps and Genia are available, no matter how well he is playing. If Deans goes after the Lions tour then White has a chance to be selected as Genia's back-up with a new coach. But if Deans stays on till 2015 then White is no chance of being selected.

In White's best interest, a one year deal to see if Deans is kept on is the only way to go. If he is, then Europe beckons and Australian rugby will be the poorer.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
To open up an old wound. White delayed surgery last year when he was clearly the second best quality 9 we had. Deans then selected Phipps over him for the bench, so White went ahead and had surgery. Then Genia did his knee and we had to put up with Phipps appalling passing because Deans is also not a Sheehan fan.

The bottom line is that White knows that Deans will not select him while Phipps and Genia are available, no matter how well he is playing. If Deans goes after the Lions tour then White has a chance to be selected as Genia's back-up with a new coach. But if Deans stays on till 2015 then White is no chance of being selected.

In White's best interest, a one year deal to see if Deans is kept on is the only way to go. If he is, then Europe beckons and Australian rugby will be the poorer.

I don't know about that.....

Deans did select him on the bench over White for the entire Welsh series, but then definitely dicked him around early on in the RC...........

I would hope he doesn't select Phipps over him based on "test experience" when Phipps Bradbury'd his way into the test side with Genia and White's injuries last year........

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The fixturing of European season, Japanese season, and SH season is well out of whack so there happens to be a gap in George's schedule. This is because the Top League season is only 14ish games long and on top of that the contract is less intense.

Since he has no international commitments it means you have a very good rugby player who can sit on his ass for half the year or play some footy back home for any ammount of money they'll give him (because he's already being paid a good wage, it's just icing on the cake really).

It's no different than when a non-international Super rugby player goes back to SS for a small amount of cash or what Haskell did last year for the Highlanders.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't know about that...

Deans did select him on the bench over White for the entire Welsh series, but then definitely dicked him around early on in the RC.....

I would hope he doesn't select Phipps over him based on "test experience" when Phipps Bradbury'd his way into the test side with Genia and White's injuries last year....

Slim,
Did you mean Phipps (bolded). Otherwise I don't understand your comment. White might have been on the bench for the Wales games but he did not get one minute of game time, if I recall correctly. Deans is definitely not a White fan.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Slim,
Did you mean Phipps (bolded). Otherwise I don't understand your comment. White might have been on the bench for the Wales games but he did not get one minute of game time, if I recall correctly. Deans is definitely not a White fan.

Whoops, typo.......

He didn't get any game time because 2/3 games went down to the wire, although he should've come on in the last 5-10 minutes in the first game (typical Deans not using his bench).......

But I don't think that's a sign that Deans doesn't like him...... he obviously liked him enough to consider him the second best halfback for that series.........

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
I think the issue with White was that he got injured and missed the series...though I am not sure whether he was told to go and have surgery etc. Having missed the chance, Phipps got chosen and it followed from there. Robbie Deans seems to be loyal to his players...or some of them. And perhaps by that time he didn't want to change the team yet again.

Sitting back, and having had a Bex, lie down and a walk in the park, I don't think what I just wrote makes a great deal of sense on re-reading it.

But channelling the professionalism of various sports writers I will guess I will leave it at that.

At least there is no (to my eyes) obvious grammatical or spelling errors.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I think the issue with White was that he got injured and missed the series.though I am not sure whether he was told to go and have surgery etc. Having missed the chance, Phipps got chosen and it followed from there. Robbie Deans seems to be loyal to his players.or some of them. And perhaps by that time he didn't want to change the team yet again.

Sitting back, and having had a Bex, lie down and a walk in the park, I don't think what I just wrote makes a great deal of sense on re-reading it.

But channelling the professionalism of various sports writers I will guess I will leave it at that.

At least there is no (to my eyes) obvious grammatical or spelling errors.

As others have said above, Nic White did not miss the Wales series through injury. He sat on the bench for the whole three games, but typically (of Deans) was not used.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
I'm not sure if his questions has been raised elsewhere... but where do the Ponies fans want to see Paddy McCabe slot into the backline?

I wouldn't mind seeing him have a crack at Smith's outside centre position.

I think he'd thrive having a distributing inside centre next to him with the little extra room at 13. Strong enough and tenacious in defence. He could certainly answer the Wallabies questions at 13.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.