• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Have yet to see a reasonable argument favoring the test window in June over one in July. IMO July would work better for all SH and NH teams. Allow Super comp to be completed and provide touring teams anopportunity to play some lead-ins before the tests.

I don't think the Northern Hemisphere teams would want this tour any later than it already is.

Their brief off season happens after this series before they start up again in mid August.

If Super Rugby went straight through with its current format, it would finish on July 12th and a three test tour would then go until the first Saturday in August.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
NH teams don't want it. That's 6 to 3 already. Assuming the Pacific Nations, and other European nations agree due to the locations of their players, that's a buttload. For now the Argies probably prefer it as well, although that may change when/if they get a Super team.

So, yeah. I'm not going to argue against that the Northern Clubs have too much power, but we've got to deal with it.

Currently the June internationals allow for a June Test Window, July off season, August Preseason, begin the season in September. That works well for them.

Given how unfeasible it is to push Super Rugby back earlier, you'd have to ask the NH to push back their season by a month, and that means that they have to stop their seasons around a month in for the November tests.

Its not perfect now, but it could be a hell of a lot worse.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
NH teams don't want it. That's 6 to 3 already. Assuming the Pacific Nations, and other European nations agree due to the locations of their players, that's a buttload. For now the Argies probably prefer it as well, although that may change when/if they get a Super team.

So, yeah. I'm not going to argue against that the Northern Clubs have too much power, but we've got to deal with it.

Currently the June internationals allow for a June Test Window, July off season, August Preseason, begin the season in September. That works well for them.

Given how unfeasible it is to push Super Rugby back earlier, you'd have to ask the NH to push back their season by a month, and that means that they have to stop their seasons around a month in for the November tests.

Its not perfect now, but it could be a hell of a lot worse.

Apparently the RFU wants the change but because the Six Nations have an agreement to vote as a block they wont vote for the change without agreement from a majority of the others. The suggestion was that France opposed it not because it would hurt them but because they thought it would help SH teams more than Northern ones.

Not sure how the smaller countries figure into voting but I'd think the change would be to their advantage. With a month between the end of the Euro club season and the tours here there'd be plenty of room for sides like Georgia, Romania, Japan and the Pac Islands to host the six nations for warm up games on there way here.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
There are test breaks in every major provincial competition. It's part of having an international rugby calendar.

It sucks to lose players to injury but everyone is in the same boat.
while I agree .. I'm sure you'd be pissed off too if the Tahs ship had just sunk like the titanic. But I have faith in the system.

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk

T

tranquility

Given that Rodney Iona debuted on the weekend, would it be correct to assume that he is rated above Tatakawa? I really want to see the young man get a shot.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Would say so, who are the Brumbies suppose to play if their 3 contracted hookers are all injured.

When the Stormers had only one fit hooker in their squad for finals a couple of years ago they were allowed to have Schalk Brits on the bench as long as they used him only as a hooker and not as an impact flanker (it's a thing the Stormers liked to do). At the time Brits had played finals for a Saracens only a few weeks earlier and was very much not contracted (though he had been the previous year).

That'd be the precedent I guess.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The press have rabbitted on about 17 players/coaches/backroom staff leaving? Could one of the Brumbies brains trust here have a go at listing them.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Players:

Ben Mowen
Clyde Rathbone
Ruaidhri Murphy
Leon Power
Jack Whetton
Tom McVerry
Lachie McCaffery
Conrad Hoffman
Lionel Cronje
Andrew Smith
Stephen van der Walt

Staff:

Laurie Fisher

That's 12 of the 17.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
The press have rabbitted on about 17 players/coaches/backroom staff leaving? Could one of the Brumbies brains trust here have a go at listing them.

Also check out the Brumbies 2015 thread. There is a fair bit of talk about the players leaving :)

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Players:

Ben Mowen
Clyde Rathbone
Ruaidhri Murphy
Leon Power
Jack Whetton
Tom McVerry
Lachie McCaffery
Conrad Hoffman
Lionel Cronje
Andrew Smith
Stephen van der Walt

Staff:

Laurie Fisher

That's 12 of the 17.

From the SMH /CBR times (Fairfax Media). Missing off the list (and possibly counted in the 17) but now signed are Smiler and Mann-Rae. The other missing name is JP Smith who was on an EPS deal and yet to TBC what's happening with him. I can't confirm if Brumby Jack has been resigned yet either.

DEPARTING BRUMBIES
Laurie Fisher (director of rugby), Ben Mowen, Clyde Rathbone, Leon Power, Andrew Smith, Ruaidhri Murphy, Jack Whetton, Conrad Hoffmann, Tom McVerry, Lachlan McCaffrey, Lionel Cronje, Tony Thorpe (manager), Warrick Harrington (analyst), Hamish Macauley (physio)
ARRIVING BRUMBIES
Nigel Ah Wong, Tom Staniforth, Michael Dowsett (upgraded to full-time), Allan Ala'alatoa (upgraded to full-time), Sean Doyle

Status
Not open for further replies.