• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Will the upcoming election take the attention of Canberrans away from the Brumbies sale shenanigans?

No, actually could feature yet. Mud already being flung.

The questions have now started about the Brumbies. It appears paying off a CEO to keep quiet does not make it all go away:

www.canbrrratimes.com.au/act-news/liberals-question-who-benrfited-from-the-government-waiving-a-75-million-development-tax-for-the-brumbies-20160503-gol0e4.html

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
ASIC wouldn't touch it, as an organisation they are useless. They have a litany of high profile failed cases and law suits where there was plain illegal activity in (e.g. Eddie Groves), have been exposed as ignoring whistle blowers multiple times (until the media do an expose), and basically just ignoring things they consider "too hard", which is close to any high profile case where the people can defend themselves. ASIC are the most toothless tiger going around.

That's before you even start on the current head of ASIC, who believes that the industry should sort itself out instead of the watchdog gets involved (I kid you not, he's on record as basically saying that if banks rip off customers then customers will just leave, so ASIC don't need to step in), plus he was highly involved in the sub-prime scandal in the US (on the wrong side, of course) in a previous gig.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
ASIC wouldn't touch it, as an organisation they are useless. They have a litany of high profile failed cases and law suits where there was plain illegal activity in (e.g. Eddie Groves), have been exposed as ignoring whistle blowers multiple times (until the media do an expose), and basically just ignoring things they consider "too hard", which is close to any high profile case where the people can defend themselves. ASIC are the most toothless tiger going around.

That's before you even start on the current head of ASIC, who believes that the industry should sort itself out instead of the watchdog gets involved (I kid you not, he's on record as basically saying that if banks rip off customers then customers will just leave, so ASIC don't need to step in), plus he was highly involved in the sub-prime scandal in the US (on the wrong side, of course) in a previous gig.

Ash there is a reason why we have multiple regulators like ASIC and APRA and others instead of significant well funded corporate regulation. There is no conspiracy, it is plain ideology. Joseph Stiglitz wrote some good stuff on the subject a few years ago.

In any event the current head of ASIC might be totally wrong in the case of the Banks, as there is no effective competition. Rugby doesn't have that luxury, apart from the truly addicted like most of us who post on the fora, Rugby consumption is largely a discretionary spend. If the customers leave it is very difficult to re-engage them, just ask the Tahs.

Reactions: mst

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
HISTORY REPEATING FOR HOOKERS
The Reds-Brumbies hooker swap appears to be still running. With Stephen Moore moving back to Queensland next year, we hear Saia Fainga'a is heading back to the Brumbies next season. They did the reverse exchange in 2009.​
Am I late to this party or is this news?​

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member

Am I late to this party or is this news?

Old news. I either read about it here, or somewhere on Twitter. With Andrew Ready taking over the starting role, he will drop back to the bench when Squeak arrives in QLD. Saia will therefore want to secure some game time and the Brumbies might be his best bet.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
its been mooted around the traps here but that's probably the first time it's been in the press.

The question is do the Faingaas still come as a package deal? I suspect the Reds would still want Ant.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
its been mooted around the traps here but that's probably the first time it's been in the press.

The question is do the Faingaas still come as a package deal? I suspect the Reds would still want Ant.

Which was the reverse the last time the twins signed.

Reds wanted Saia but not overly Ant

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)

Ant would be an excellent replacement for To'omua, and has already played with Lealiifano as well.

I heard we were after Kerevi as well, has anyone else heard that?

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Yeah he'd be playing at 12, and giving Lealiifano the kind of 12 he performs best with, the hard tackling, straight running tough bastard.

To'omua is too good at playmaking, so Lealiifano tends to tone down a bit and play as part of a system, rather than the general. Very democratic of him, but when he has players like Fainga'a (won the junior world cup as 10/12, then started at the Brumbies together) and McCabe in particular (2012 was the best, after McCabe had learned how to play 12 and started carving up) as his 12, it allows him to take more control of the backline and direct it, rather than just playing as part of the chain.

I reckon next year Lilo will be in much better form than he is this season, the shift in gameplan this year is taking some time to really gel. It took the Tahs a season and a half to click,

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Nah he still does what he always did, but Cooper is gone so now Ant doesn't suit the role the Reds need at the moment.

Next to Lilo he'd be in the right role.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I really don't think he does. He still makes some big tackles but now he misses tackles and makes some bad defensive choices. What was the hallmark of his game is no longer top shelf.

I was a little surprised when Ben Daley suggested on Rugby 360 he could be a Wallaby again this year.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Heard a lot of people being negative about having Toua at fullback after last night; while the kicking was shocking on the night, I think he's been a marked improvement on Mogg. If nothing else, I feel a lot safer on defence. What's the general feel on how he's been around here?

Also, Dargaville and Ah Wong were both defensively impressive, and Dargaville put a lot of work into making bad box and chip kicks (surely the kicking was an instruction from Larkham?) look decent. Obviously the Ah Wong try was good. Coleman may well end up benched when To'omua comes back.

Status
Not open for further replies.