• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sure, but atm the top of the Aus conference is the Tahs to lose. Equal points with a game in hand must have them as favourites, given the Brumbies up and down form as well.

Not really, both teams are cruising on average form at the moment...........

The Brumbies are still ahead on the ladder with games against the Rebels, Sunwolves, Reds, Blues and Force..........

The Tahs have the Bulls, Crusaders, Chiefs, Sunwolves, Hurricanes, and Blues.........

It's going to be tight, but the Brumbies have an easier run home.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Christ, four kiwi teams in the run in makes it tough for them. So our only opponents in common are the Blues and the Sunwolves? And while our other games are Rebels, Reds, Force, theirs are Chiefs, Crusaders, Hurricanes, and Bulls.
We have the upper hand; while we both have Blues away, we have the Sunwolbes at home. I don't doubt that the Tahs will win that Sunwolves game, but we'll probably get the bonus point and it will be tougher for them (though let's not forget the farce against the Kings in 2013).
Our bye is when the Tahs play in Christchurch, so I'm not worried about the game in hand. Tahs probably take 5-10 points from Bulls, Chiefs, and Hurricanes, all at home. If the Brumbies take less than 10 from Rebels, Reds, and Force, then we don't deserve to be anywhere near the finals.

Ours to lose.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Waratahs on 25 points now - predictions: Tahs lose to Bulls, Crusaders, Chiefs, Hurricanes and Blues , win against Sunwolves = 4 more points, total 29 points. They have much tougher comp now they play 4 NZ teams who, btw seem to get better as the season progresses whilst Tahs seem to be in some kind of permanent disarray - new coach etc. Don't see them making the cut. Even the Rebels could be ahead of the Tahs at the end of the season!

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
So the Tahs might only have 1 more win for the season here, but the Rebels will conceivably only finish 3rd if the Reds continue being rubbish on the Rebels thread.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Fox and Fairfax are making a narrative of the Brumbies being more pragmatic with penalties lately; 4 shots from 14 penalties against the Bulls, 15 from 95 in all other games. To be fair, that's almost double the attempts per penalty. Turns out we had zero attempts against the Tahs and Saders, so we've actually had fewer attempts in the second five games than the first.

But as I checked the games, I noticed that none of our penalties have affected any of our results. No losing BPs, no wins, nothing. I know that momentum and pressure matter, but surely one game would be decided by penalties?!

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
I may be late to the discussion but did Michael jones claim there was salary cap breaches at brumbies? Is that why pocock us off for a year to ease the cap constraints?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
He would be a good choice

For what? To continuing an investigation?

It is clear in that article that there is a skill set missing from the Brumbies - any type of business acumen.

IMHO his appointment would be as a pacifier, and I mean in both uses of the word. Not only to look as though someone neutral,who has integrity and is from the outside is being put in to stop any suggestions of things being covered-up, but also in to shut the supposed dummies (supporters) up!

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
He would be a good choice

In addition to MST's points, was he part of the "integrity unit" when the Beale affair went down and cost the Wallabies and Australian Rugby in total a good coach and good rugby man AND cost the ARU significant amounts of money in payouts?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Huh?
Blame Beale for his actions,or Links management of those actions,for any payouts that were made.
Blame no one but Link for his decision to resign.
I can't see how Integrity units can be blamed for any part of that episode.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Whatever, but still nothing to disqualify anyone attached to the integrity unit, to being employed by the Brumbies.

You are correct.

However, based on the media reports, eminating from the Chairman of the Brumbies Board, it is now well known the the Board does not possess, nor has not for awhile, the skills or business acumen required to run the Brumbies operations. History demonstrates, and serves as evidence, that prior to Jones appointment, the Brumbies operation was unable to be managed in a a manner that produced a reasonable financial outcome. The appointment of Jones remedied this.

Now with his departure, it is clear and obvious that the Brumbies have some significant management deficiencies, and clear lack experienced or qualified persons to rectify this. As confirmed by the Chairman of the Bumbles board himself.

So, can somebody explain to me in simple terms, why you would appoint an ex-cop to a CEO position?

If I am not mistaken, 6 months without adequate financial management could be catastrophic and bloody irresponsible on numerous levels!

For me this is just another layer and extension of the continuing mismanagement, incompetence, politics and nepotism that is detrimental to every fibre of the Brumbies, and the game as a whole.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Huh?

Blame Beale for his actions,or Links management of those actions,for any payouts that were made.

Blame no one but Link for his decision to resign.

I can't see how Integrity units can be blamed for any part of that episode.

I don't blame them for Beale's actions (whatever they were that was effectively covered to a large degree). I don't blame Link for those actions. I don't blame Link for resigning, sometimes regardless of not doing anything wrong, and indeed doing everything right one's position can be untenable and you are left with no other choice, I know this personally from hard experience.
What I do blame them for is the incompetence in investigation (which an ex-copper should be good at but many are actually woeful at) and management that led to not just a payout of a member of staff, but to a second settlement to the same individual a short time later. These things sort of preclude somebody from a promotion in management.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
You are correct.

So, can somebody explain to me in simple terms, why you would appoint an ex-cop to a CEO position?

Depending on what he did in said job he may well have had significant managerial experience and responsibility for significant budgets, in some cases far more than the Brumbies yearly budget. Indeed in times of emergency response even area commanders have access to and are responsible for expenditures which can exceed the Brumbies budget and significantly more staff.

That said it doesn't qualify one for a CEO position of a sporting club.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
You are correct.

However, based on the media reports, eminating from the Chairman of the Brumbies Board, it is now well known the the Board does not possess, nor has not for awhile, the skills or business acumen required to run the Brumbies operations. History demonstrates, and serves as evidence, that prior to Jones appointment, the Brumbies operation was unable to be managed in a a manner that produced a reasonable financial outcome. The appointment of Jones remedied this.

Now with his departure, it is clear and obvious that the Brumbies have some significant management deficiencies, and clear lack experienced or qualified persons to rectify this. As confirmed by the Chairman of the Bumbles board himself.

If I am not mistaken, 6 months without adequate financial management could be catastrophic and bloody irresponsible on numerous levels!

For me this is just another layer and extension of the continuing mismanagement, incompetence, politics and nepotism that is detrimental to every fibre of the Brumbies, and the game as a whole.

Well before Jones was Fagan and before him was Clarke - both high serving ARU men, so now you're telling me they were hopeless - "had no skills or business acumen required to run the Brumbies operations"- wow I hadn't thought of it like that, but you are right, loss after loss, year after year. Sponsors gone more recently, and $11 m somewhere. CEO need to offer strategic direction that produces positive and sustainable financial results , something that none of them have done to date.
Yet the ARU thinks their top man, -hey that's Rob Clarke again, can run the Force through some kind of ARU takeover plan...

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Depending on what he did in said job he may well have had significant managerial experience and responsibility for significant budgets, in some cases far more than the Brumbies yearly budget. Indeed in times of emergency response even area commanders have access to and are responsible for expenditures which can exceed the Brumbies budget and significantly more staff.

That said it doesn't qualify one for a CEO position of a sporting club.

Yeh - nah. Not an AFP ex-cop, and that's not being disparaging to them.

'They operate in a different realm and in a different environment, with different fiscal responsibilities. I bet you cant find the budget or cost of the AFP MH-17 deployment!

Your comparing apples to doughnuts.

You will never here the AFP turning a profit, yet its an essential for the Brumbies to survive.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Well before Jones was Fagan and before him was Clarke - both high serving ARU men, so now you're telling me they were hopeless - "had no skills or business acumen required to run the Brumbies operations"- wow I hadn't thought of it like that, but you are right, loss after loss, year after year. Sponsors gone more recently, and $11 m somewhere. CEO need to offer strategic direction that produces positive and sustainable financial results , something that none of them have done to date.
Yet the ARU thinks their top man, -hey that's Rob Clarke again, can run the Force through some kind of ARU takeover plan.

Sadly many good and even great business men an women don't always lead successful business, but can move on and have success elsewhere.

But the measure will always be the same - the bottom line of the financial report and bank balance. How do you feel when you realise the not only the $11mil, but the $15mil worth of tax cuts, cash and other bits and pieces from the ACT government have gone as well in the same time. so about $26mil.

How about if the $30mil development proposal the Brumbies ditched to sell the land for $11mil . The similar development is now worth $100mil.

Competent management?

If you consider the much maligned head of Qantas, who has similar traits to Jones, in the past he was disliked for his style, approach and decisions. he fixed Qantas by doing his job and not trying to be popular or friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.