• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Awards night tonight.

Best back: Christian Lealiifano
Best forward: Sam Carter
Brett Robinson medal winner: Christian Lealiifano

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Well the other big legal fight the the Brumbies paid there way out of and left to the UC crew has ended. More questions than answers again.

Interestingly still all being hushed up which seem to be a very very important central issue to this whole saga.

I would assume that Jones grievance had some merit to end in a settlement, and also interesting the that the threats of the ex-UC Chancellor Parker and Roff to sue Jones for defamationthat was made very public never eventuated.

This chapter of the saga is over, but I bet the skeletons will emerge and again hunt the Brumbies.

One can only dream of a private equity investor for the Brumbies that has no link to Canberra to out the skeletons and the cancer.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act...y-of-canberra-settlement-20160924-grnp3j.html

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Another step closer to sorting out the Brumbies mess and professionalising the operations.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...irector-in-board-shakeup-20160929-grr2u1.html

I think to fully clean the slate Kennedy has to go or it will all be seen as rearranging the deck chairs.

Interestingly this was another "Jones" initiated project to move the club forward. Seems a lot of his work is still flowing through and changing the club which does beg the question......

Another gold takaway: Kennedy - "[The changes] are things that our funding bodies are looking forward to, to show that we are appropriately run. We've been very serious about adopting the best practise governance principles.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Out of interest, does the CEO of the Reds, Tahs sit on their respective boards? I've deliberately left out the Rebels and Force, due to their corporate structures.

It appears by convention only that a MD will sit on a board, a CEO does not. I would think that small orgs like a Super Rugby team would want their CEOs on a board, in order to keep close tabs on decision making.

I like the intent of what Michael was trying to do at the Brums, I.e get more professional expire nice on the board. That change might ruffle a few feathers :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mst

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Jim Carmichael was on the Board. I don't know about Richard Barker but I'd be surprised if he was.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Out of interest, does the CEO of the Reds, Tahs sit on their respective boards? I've deliberately left out the Rebels and Force, due to their corporate structures.

It appears by convention only that a MD will sit on a board, a CEO does not. I would think that small orgs like a Super Rugby team would want their CEOs on a board, in order to keep close tabs on decision making.

I like the intent of what Michael was trying to do at the Brums, I.e get more professional expire nice on the board. That change might ruffle a few feathers :)

He seemed to be the catalyst and drive for most of the corporate / governance / operational changes and had the support of sponsors and most funding bodies - which apparently did ruffle feathers thus the ousting.

I really wonder why Pulver didn't back him especially with the financial challenges facing rugby atm. He seemed to be on the right path and making the changes that were necessary.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

For what it's worth, the Arbib governance review recommended that in Australian rugby the CEO should be an executive director and sit on the board

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
lol x billions! So following the recommendation it would have meant Jones on the Board, and potentially Kennedys position on the board dissolved.

The majority of the votes are held by the clubs and most were initially siding with Jones. So if he had the position and thus a vote - power shift and...........knives!

Could be the answer to a lot of the questions:rolleyes:

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Discussion go - the ex...... did you blokes a favour we can't have him falling in the do do. Lets clean this up somehow. Whiteboard is out, planning begun to agree on a plausible sequence of events that ensure reasonable doubt exists as to what actually happened. Statement will close, "this has been an unfortunate sequence of events, that have brought unproven rumours against great servants of the Territory and ACT Rugby. We are happy the matter has been brought to a close and we can all move on with creating a great future for the Aquis ACT Brumbies...."

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Can you imagine a scenario where the Brumbies, with the ability to search globally for the right person, were stupid and not take the opportunity to make sure there was not the slightest hint of nepotism and appoint a good old Canberra boy; especially ones that have previous links to ACT Rugby?

How about we really push the boundaries and imagine that we would be to get a ex-politician (a labour one at that) to be on the committee to help do the search.

No way ........Oh wait. :rolleyes:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-union/brumbies/super-rugby-brumbies-narrow-chief-executive-search-to-two-20161109-gslfmk.html

Lucky that Kate Lundy has no connection to the current ACT Goverment - Oh, Um:oops: : http://www.cmd.act.gov.au/open_gove...pointed-to-ensure-cbr-industry-gets-a-fair-go

The candidates:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...o/news-story/69645422c453a77cb31252ff14a243f3

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/03/02/1078191327112.html

This is where I applaud the Tahs for having the balls to actually do a proper global hunt and get the right guy for the job that has no ties.

I will reserve judgement but IMHO its not a good start at cleaning up their image or instilling confidence.

Judge-Judy-Shake-My-Head-Gif_zps66b02891.gif
g

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don't think Allaston was well respected at Athletics Australia. Not sure about the other one.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Releasing the candidates' names to the public seems unprofessional. The bloke who doesn't get the gig will have that mark against his name, unnecessarilly in my view.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
We get really mad when an 'insider' is picked for a role at a rugby team and we want an outsider to bring in fresh insights and views - all fair enough.

BUT, it takes a long time to get familiar with how a place runs, who everyone is, and how the local scene functions. We can't be mad if a local gets picked so they can hit the ground running and get more done from the get go.

It's not just jobs for mates, there's an element of sense to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.