• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

So when is he going to play at LHP next?

You can be a smart arse all you like, but the point I was making in reply to your comment is that age or time in a position shouldn't be a limiting factor when it comes to switching sides in the scrum, not when you have recent examples like Holmes where it did wonders to reinvigorate his career and get him back in the test picture.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I had forgotten that Lolo Fakisolea had signed. Could he be a potential starting No 8?

Carrying on from the discussion in the Vikings match thread, the major risks are he has very limited super rugby exposure and his tendency to give away silly penalties. Not deal breakers though, everyone has to start somewhere and young back rowers with excess aggression often come good. Ideally you'd still be up skilling him via good bench minutes before considering the start. Not to say it couldn't pay off starting him, just that I think it's a pretty risky move at this stage.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah, I think LH and TH props are actually more interchangeable than we think.

The reality is, the physical requirements are identical and when you're studying tape/practising skills you're seeing what both sides do (because you'll either try to shut it down or emulate it).

I'm yet to see a bloke change sides and it be catastrophic.

T

TOCC

Changing between the two sides of the scrum is a technical transfer, the same physical attributes and skills are required on both, its just a slight variation on how they're employed.

Obviously the technical aspect is a tough piece though, some players pick it up faster then others. THP is more technical then LHP and the general expectation on the LHP is that he be more mobile around the ground, although at Test level that argument is somewhat blurred these days.

I don't think Benny A will swap, looking at the Brumbies prop stocks and recruitment for 2017 they have reasonable depth at LHP, with the THP side looking to be the weaker of the two in terms of depth. On the same grounds I'm expecting Alan A to be persisted with on the tight head side.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
At this stage, what do you think the Brumbies matchday 23 will look like next year (assuming no injuries)? I'm trying to get an understanding of each Aussie Super Rugbys squad to see where (atleast in my own opinion) the stars of the NRC should be allocated.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think it will look something like this, assuming of course that Christian Lealiifano makes it back for next year:

Sio, Mann-Rea, Alexander, Arnold, Carter, Fardy, Alcock, Smiler, Powell, Lealiifano, Taliauli, Godwin, Kuridrani, Speight, Toua.

Saia Faainga could start in place of Josh Mann-Rea, Fakosolea could start in front of Smiler, and Dargaville could start in front of either Taliauli or Toua.

If Christian doesn't come back, then Jooste into 10.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IS surely a huge factor is one of those players trains with the team where it's game plan is likely based around who is in the team and them performing their best roles, while the other basically flies in on a Friday and plays Saturday without even training with the team.

Its simmons work rate that is the problem i reckon and thats something that he can fix wherever and whoever he's playing with.

N

NTT

Chris Alcock should be the Brumbies starting 7 if the Brumbies signed him to be a like for like replacement for Pocock. Had a couple of injuries and was stuck behind Matt Hodgson over here so we haven't seen the best of him for a couple of years but is still a quality 7, certainly a level above anything Smiler or Butler has shown so far.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
certainly a level above anything Smiler or Butler has shown so far.

I certainly can't agree with that.........

Butler wore the 7 jersey for the majority of 2014 and won the Brumbies best player award that year........ also played well last year in the same position when Pocock was injured.........

Having said that though I would expect Butler to be one of the two of the starters next year (Fardy being the other), with the other back row position depending on where they play him.........

But I'd rather him play at 7 with a big 8 that can provide some go forward.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
With Pocock gone I think there is a very high chance Butler will be in the starting XV next year either at 8 or 7.

It will take a fair amount of good play for both Alcock and Smiler to force him to the bench.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Changing between the two sides of the scrum is a technical transfer, the same physical attributes and skills are required on both, its just a slight variation on how they're employed.

Obviously the technical aspect is a tough piece though, some players pick it up faster then others. THP is more technical then LHP and the general expectation on the LHP is that he be more mobile around the ground, although at Test level that argument is somewhat blurred these days.

I don't think Benny A will swap, looking at the Brumbies prop stocks and recruitment for 2017 they have reasonable depth at LHP, with the THP side looking to be the weaker of the two in terms of depth. On the same grounds I'm expecting Alan A to be persisted with on the tight head side.

TOCC I'd like your thoughts here. I always saw a THP pushing against LHP and Hooker. Where a LHP pushes against THP. For me the logic suggests THP is much more physical and LHP opens opportunities for gamesmanship. (I would have said technicality but suspect we would be using the word differently.)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
TOCC I'd like your thoughts here. I always saw a THP pushing against LHP and Hooker. Where a LHP pushes against THP. For me the logic suggests THP is much more physical and LHP opens opportunities for gamesmanship. (I would have said technicality but suspect we would be using the word differently.)
I want to see TOCCs thoughts too. I've never played front row (actually that's a lie, I played there in the under 13s!), but I've always been a forward. I've always thought of the 3 as the big immovable dude. The 1 has more freedom to exploit any technical nouse, assuming they know how to. However one could be a big dude and also know how to exploit the technical aspects, so I can see why a 3 can become a 1. Similarly, a not so big dude could be so proficient that they can play at 3 successfully (Fletcher Dyson comes to mind here).

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I want to see TOCCs thoughts too. I've never played front row (actually that's a lie, I played there in the under 13s!), but I've always been a forward. I've always thought of the 3 as the big immovable dude. The 1 has more freedom to exploit any technical nouse, assuming they know how to. However one could be a big dude and also know how to exploit the technical aspects, so I can see why a 3 can become a 1. Similarly, a not so big dude could be so proficient that they can play at 3 successfully (Fletcher Dyson comes to mind here).

I'm not trying to be argumentative. Just interested in how my understanding meshes (or not) with a guy who loves rugby. That's all.

T

TOCC

Certainly the THP is more physically and technically demanding at the scrum, I think what we are seeing at the moment is a generational shift in line with the new scrummaging laws. Back in the 2000's the focus of the scrum was on the hit and drive, the scrum was won or lost on the hit.. and the halfback could feed the ball when he saw fit, not at the direction of the ref.. if you watch back through scrum from the 2007 RWC, the ball was fed almost immediately after the hit and the scrum was rarely stable, it was driving in the direction of the team who won the hit.

Given the focus was on the hit and drive, big props became the fashion. Think Andy Sheridan, Janine du Plesis, Rodney Blake and Carl Hayman. Big props wither greater leverage who could win the collision, with less focus on the technical proficiency. (Not to say that some like Hayman weren't very technically proficient scrummagers)

With the new scrummaging laws the focus has evolved and the demands on the props have slightly changed as well, the hit is now non-existent but scrums are packing lower and tighter. When comparing the positions, the THP is still under more pressure physically, but it's not purely about sheer size anymore, shorter props who are physically strong achieve the same as a taller prop. The strength is needed to maintain a straight back and remain tight with the hooker, the technical aspect is then on reading and countering what the opposition prop intends to do.

LHP has a slightly easier job, he needs to maintain a stable platform on his feed and try and disrupt the opposition on their feed, but he only has one player to push against.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Surely the NRC is unearthing some promising front row prospects, I've been impressed by Lolohea for the rams. Surely there's another Tom Robertson waiting in the wings somewhere (just not at the Sydney Stars).

Why oh why is Michael Ala'alatoa at the crusaders??

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Watching the Wellington/Southland game today, very impressed with Jackson Garden-Bachop at No 10 for Wellington. Is he signed up anywhere? Might be open to an offer that could see a fair bit of game time? Doubt he'll get much game time behind the likes of the two Barretts, Milner-Skudder and Marshall (assuming all are with the Hurricanes in 2017).

Status
Not open for further replies.