• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Don't know much about the political ins and outs but from what I see and hear they are completely professional and focussed on the rugby side.

Wendell

Stan Wickham (3)
Don't know much about the political ins and outs but from what I see and hear they are completely professional and focussed on the rugby side.
Inside Shoulder I have heard the same from a few school and club coaches here in Sydney who have visited the Brumbies in the last couple of years. Rugby program is extremely well run and professional and that the players as well as Larkham, McKellar and Ryan are all very welcoming and happy to share their thoughts and ideas. From a rugby point of view I think the Brumbies will continue to have an excellent program and culture.

N

NTT

Caught a bit of the news this morning where the Brumbies and ARU are in early discussions about forming an 'allicance'.

I'm not sure it's the same deal as what happened to the Force but more a sharing of services to streamline operations.

Interesting about an Alliance between the Brumbies and the ARU. I personally support any move, temporary or permanent, that redirects funding from over administration back towards investing in rugby programs, academies and grassroots.
The crux of the Force/ARU alliance was to refocus the funding into more support for the rugby programme whilst streamlining administrative structures that cost more to run than is absolutely necessary. The Force does have the first option of purchasing back their IP when the club becomes profitable again.
It is also pleasing to see another franchise realise we are all in this together, lets work together. There should be more of it.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

Apart from being behind the paywall the the Brumbies administration is also the ACTRU (local competitions) etc administration.

So moving under the ARU even in part begs the question about the losing the local focus. It is why the key board members (the Clubs) were so critical in the debate and initially sided with Jones who was advocating and successfully operating independently of the ARU then gave up and jumped ship to the "Canberra mafia" as GeeRob tagged it when they realised Jones was losing the war.

The ARU - Force alliance is a necessity and the IP rights are a separate issue.

Its not a good move for local Canberra Rugby which shows the boards concerns were not really ever concerned nor cognisant of the on-field implications.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

Sadly the off- field side dictates what the on-fielded side of an operation can do. They are intrinsically liked and we can see the results as the UC Canberra Vikings have had a tight budget (no memberships this year or pre-sale tickets) and we also saw cut backs and cost saver toward the end of the Brumbies season at the games.

Even Larkham has publicly acknowledged its been a distraction and had an impact and he only renewed his one year contact with the Brumbies very recently.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I am assuming Brumbies still have places to fill - as still lacking 8 options to cover for loss of Ita. No 8 to sign. Who could it be.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
How are Brumbies fans feeling about this upcoming season?

Personally (with no intention of coming off like a dick here) I think the Brumbies might have the weakest squad / 23 in the Aussie conference and if not, it appears to me as only marginally better than the Force

A few of your first-choices are uninspiring, and if an injury catastrophe strikes it could be very worrying.

1. Sio
2. Fainga'a
3. Alexander
4. Carter
5. Arnold
6. Fardy
7. Butler
8. Fasikolea / Smiler
9. Cubelli
10. Jooste
11. Speight
12. Godwin
13. Kuridrani
14. Dargaville
15. Coleman

16. Ala'alatoa
17. Mann-Rea
18. ?
19. Staniforth
20. Alcock
21. Powell
22. Smith
23. Toua

I'm particularly worried about:

- 2: Fainga'a and Mann-Rea are solid at best, pedestrian at worst. At 29 and 35 respectively, they may be getting past it. Abel is not much better, and is also 27.

- 4: Mr. Doug please don't shoot me but I'm not blown away by Carter as a first choice lock. Not dynamic or impactful enough for a starting Super lock. Arnold is solid and but I guess Staniforth / Enever seem promising.

- 8: Fasikolea and Smiler, whilst capable of a good performance, are yet to deliver consistently at Super level.

- 10: Jooste. Enough said. If he were at the Tahs I'd be looking to debut him in 2-3 years, but this upcoming season is certainly too soon.

- 11-14: Solid. Some good options there but a lack of depth is a real concern.

- 15: Toua or Coleman. Enough said.

My biggest concern is that, whilst a lot of your first and second choice options are solid, the Brumbies lack any gamebreakers or hyper-inspirational "get-behind-me-boys" leaders for the upcoming season (although I suppose you've never really relied upon them).

You don't have a:

- Hooper / Folau / Foley / Phipps / Simone / Dempsey / Naiyaravoro
- Higgers / Cooper / Kerevi / Smith / Tui / Houston / Hunt / Tupou
- McMahon / Timani / C. Fainga'a / Reid / Naivalu / Hodge / Koroibete / Shipperley
- Lance / Morahan / Coleman / McCalman / DHP / Tapuai / Naisarani

To really break a game open or to seize it by the horns and dominate throughout. Combine that with Larkham's thus far lackluster coaching and it could be another long season of rolling mauls.

(Ok perhaps I was being generous with some of the Rebels / Forces players).

Tell me why I'm wrong.

I hope I am.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Surely Ala'alatoa will be starting THP next year for the Ponies.

Biggest question is who the coach will be. I really, really hope for the Wallabies sake its Larkham (and he gets some proper mentoring in the role, especially given he is supposedly already been anointed the successor to Chieka.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How are Brumbies fans feeling about this upcoming season?

Personally (with no intention of coming off like a dick here) I think the Brumbies might have the weakest squad / 23 in the Aussie conference and if not, it appears to me as only marginally better than the Force
Tell me why I'm wrong.

I hope I am.

Well, while the Brumbies have lost a few notable players, particularly at flyhalf where they're extremely weak with Lilo's illness...........

And they looked completely uninspiring in attack this year...........

And while I think they're going to be dropping down the ladder in 2017..........

I wouldn't be getting too hysterical about things.

Let's just have a quick recap of 2016 ladder:

2. Brumbies (43 pts)
6. Waraths (40 pts)
8. Rebels (31 pts)
9. Reds (17 pts)
10. Force (13 pts)

Obviously the Reds have spent big and signed up numerous high profile players........ Stiles is still an unknown coach but with that roster there should be massive improvement.

The Tahs are probably favourite to finish on top, having built nicely over the past year after some initial teething issues in the post Cheika era.

But what changes have been made at the Rebels and the Force to suggest there'll be much improvement there?

Korobeite is a great talent, but Rebels problems lie elsewhere............

The Force have signed one of their assistants to be head coach who lacks a decent CV, and their only big signing is from the NRC (although a good signing nonetheless).

I'm not particularly impressed with a number of players you also listed there as guys the Brumbies apparently lack........ Dempsey for example - would he even make the Brumbies starting lineup?

The Brumbies still have an excellent pack (it's the reason why they made the finals), but will lose some x factor with Pocock gone for the year and they need someone to fill Ita Vaea's shoes.........

I thought Moore was in excellent form this year, but has been the total opposite at test level - we'll be hoping he carries that form over to the Reds........

The attack is obviously going to be a problem if it follows on from this year with a weaker group of players...........

If Bernie can somehow pass along some wisdom to the backs then they could maybe finish as high as 2nd in the Aus conference, but I doubt they'll finish below the Force - they still have a roster that can score BP wins over a team like that with nothing but driving mauls.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Does that mean he isn't Wallabies "backline" coach next year or on the EOYT?

Nope, still Wallabies backs coach...........

The speculation is whether he goes full time with the Wallabies at the end of the Super Rugby season next year, or sticks with the Brumbies for longer............

If there's no signs of improvement with his coaching, I will be happy for him to join the Wallabies full-time.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I do believe Bernie retains his present roles with the Wallabies as well, specifically at the request of one M Cheika if press reports are to be believed.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I do expect the Brumbies to fare worse than they've done over the past three or four years given the losses of Pocock, To'omua, Tomane, possibly Lealiifano and Moore. But I will be bitterly disappointed if they slip as far as Michael is suggesting. I would have some different starting players, and I think the bench might be a bit stronger than Michael is suggesting.

As I see it, the side would look like :-

1. Sio
2. Fainga'a
3. Alexander
4. Carter
5. Arnold
6. Fardy
7. Alcock
8. Fasikolea / Smiler / Butler
9. Cubelli
10. Jooste
11. Speight
12. Godwin
13. Kuridrani
14. Taliauli
15. Dargaville

16. Ala'alatoa
17. Mann-Rea / McInerny
18. Makin
19. Staniforth
20. Butler / Smiler / Fakosolea
21. Powell
22. Ah Wong / Smith
23. Toua

Maybe missing some X-factor but that is still a solid Super Rugby side.

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
You don't have a:

- Hooper / Folau / Foley / Phipps / Simone / Dempsey / Naiyaravoro
- Higgers / Cooper / Kerevi / Smith / Tui / Houston / Hunt / Tupou
- McMahon / Timani / C. Fainga'a / Reid / Naivalu / Hodge / Koroibete / Shipperley
- Lance / Morahan / Coleman / McCalman / DHP / Tapuai / Naisarani

TBH there is about 5 I would have in the Brumbies and only DHP and Kerevi would be straight in. The others I would have a look if there were any new talent to take before I would settle on them.

Coleman would be the 6th but that's being greedy.

What looks like a dilemma at 8 may not be an issue, rather a blessing in disguise. The NRC exposed what happens of you have too many big units @5 to 8 so I hope the lessons learned via the UC Vikings will translate to the Brumbies and if they use the same pack configuration we need a mobile 8 not another big unit.

No issue with what Mann-Rea can provide, Beeny A looks ok and
we will wait on Fainga'a and see. Plenty of talent ready to go in the UC Vikings if needed.

The key issue is with the back-line and I can only hope there will be one more signing. It really the only area we lack depth.

As for Toua, fingers crossed he can sort out his yips and brainfarts and be half decent, but is a weak link.

I expect mid table.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Assume it is brumbies talking to Fifita given they are main Super Rugby side in oz with gaps at 8 (where Fifita played 8 and inside centre when in union) and given was offered brumbies development squad place but chose west tigers back at early stage of his career. From Memory represented NSW country in union.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes my thoughts - joost not ready for start at 10 imo but not sure of any other class options at this point for backup.

Lost some big name players with journey man and / or untested players as replacements. They don't seem to have been as prominent in recruitment ranKs compared to say reds and force

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.